Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #11
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How often do you use your sick days?

We get 10 vacation days, 10 sick days and two personal days. I was so worried about saving them incase the kids getting sick that I let 5 go to waste. They don't roll over and they appreciate if we don't abuse them. They may pay us for some of the ones we didn't use. That would be cool.

I generally try to make all appointments after 4 or wednesday morning since I don't go in until 11 on Wednesday.

Advertisement

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog

Last edited by kocho; 10-20-2012 at 08:18 PM.
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #12
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

I get 14 per year. I use them for doctors appts, kids being sick and me being sick. We can bank 180 but I only have 20ish (they accrue each month). My supply was almost totally depleted after taking 12W + lots of time for doctors appt/not feeling well/etc 2 years ago.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #13
Sarai*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I get a total of about 25 days off a year, that is sick time, holidays, and vacation all together. I have another bank of sick days that accumulates very slowly that I can only use for extended illnesses, or surgery. I lost it when I went on call, and just now got it back again, so it doesn't have much in it.

If you call in more than six "occasions" during a year, you are written up, and it is a big deal, but as nurses, it is super hard on your colleagues if you call in, so we tend not to do it much. I usually call in about 2-3 times a year, sometimes less, just cause it is such a big deal to replace me. If I have a sick kid, I take turns with my husband, and we have a couple of sitters that are good about coming if they are not needing doctor/hospital type sick.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:43 AM   #14
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Never but i'm glad i hadnt since i will be using them for maternity leave. i dont really get sick but the one time i did want to call in there was no one to cover my shift so i had to work anyway

i get 2 weeks sick pay per year and can bank up to 6 weeks before i stop accruing it.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend

Last edited by KaleidoscopeEyes; 10-26-2012 at 09:45 AM.
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #15
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
Never but i'm glad i hadnt since i will be using them for maternity leave. i dont really get sick but the one time i did want to call in there was no one to cover my shift so i had to work anyway

i get 2 weeks sick pay per year and can bank up to 6 weeks before i stop accruing it.
This is what I'll have to do to, as well as using up my vacation days and personal days. Or else I can choose to have unpaid leave.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #16
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
I get one sick day a month. They never expire, so some of us have months worth of sick leave after being here many years. I use them whenever I need to. My work is extremely understanding. I can use them to take the kids to routine doctor or dentist appointments, or when anyone in our immediate family is sick. I feel fortunate that I have never been made to feel bad for taking leave.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:31 AM   #17
sasra_nu
Registered Users
seller

In my office, we get 15 PTO days per year, and they are good about letting us use them for scheduled vacations. However, for SICK days where you are calling in sick the day of, they aren't quite as understanding. You get 4 unscheduled absences per 6 months before you get warnings, etc.

I don't and wouldn't call off sick for myself unless it was really bad. I do call off for my DD when she is sick. We just moved to an area with no family so when she is sick, there is no one to watch her but us. Hoping this winter isn't too bad with the germs and illnesses. She was just telling me a girl in her class was throwing up yesterday, and I'm just thinking here we go again...
sasra_nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #18
jenmm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I get about 30 PTO days and it's not really distinguished between sick and vacation days. My work is fairly flexible that is something comes up, I can work later in the day or start earlier. I work with a lot of international people, so I often have calls at 7 am or 9 pm.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #19
PBPMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have 7 sick days, 25 vacation days and 2 personal days per year. I always roll over the max 3 sick days per year. I did no use any sick days for my pregnancy last year but have used 4 since having him. Twice for him being sick and twice for appointments. I have also had to leave early for appointments. It is not looked down upon with my group - everyone has kids and understands. Luckily, I was able to take 12 weeks for maternity leave.
PBPMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #20
friskykitty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I teach. I work 10 months a year. I get 10 sick days a year and can use them for anyone who is sick in the immediate family (me, dh, ds). I get 2 personal days a year. The year I had my son I went on unpaid leave to accommodate my maternity leave. The first year my son had lots of ear infections and again I ended up on unpaid leave. His 13months- now I've never gone over but between him and I being sick or needing a doc visit, we generally use 8-9 sick days a year.
Little Dude welcomed November 2013
friskykitty is offline   Reply With Quote