Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #21
moobiegirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How often do you use your sick days?

I also teach. I get 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 3 family illness days. Our sick days can roll over, the personal days and family days we lose. When it's time for maternity leave, you can only use your sick days during the 6-8 weeks following the birth then it's technically unpaid leave. For me though it's all day or no day off. We can't just take a half day. We have a very strong union and they have fought for us to have confidentiality when it comes to our days. We are not made to feel bad or looked down upon for taking our days.

Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 12:30 AM   #22
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I work for the public school and am contracted for 227 days each year. So all the normal breaks off but I aork oart of thr summer. I get 15 sick days a year. 3 of those can me used for family. Unused days roll over and max ojt at 200 some days. I also get 3 personal/emergency days thay do n8t roll over. I use those first. Amazingky we are all pretty healthy so I dont use many and the vew timrs where we have had longer illness it has neen during Christmas and/or spring break.

I have worked fof the schools for 8 years and faken three 6 week maternity leaves and still have pleny of leave left. I never usemall my days each year.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #23
Daniella Jean
Registered Users
Formerly: Danielliia
seller

The last place I worked at, I believe I used 1.5 days in the 4 years I was there. We got 5 days a year and were paid out for any unused days at the end of the year. We've never had many appointments, but when I did have appointments I usually just went on my lunch, or tried to keep them as early or late as possible and made up my time. Luckily my boss was very flexible as long as we didn't have a meeting with a client or something like that.

Where I work now, we accrue our sick time and it all depends on hours, but works out to about 1-2 days/month if you are working full time.

Mommy to 3 princesses, K born November 2007 and L & C born May 2013
Daniella Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #24
JamesMarie
Registered Users

My Mood:

my sick days are accrued by hours worked as well... before I had my LO I probably only used about 3 sick days a year after my middle boy got to be about 4-5 years old - I'm sure that will change now with the newest addition. Nice thing is - I'm a web designer / developer so I can work from home as needed so a lot of the time I won't actually have to use my sick time...
JamesMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #25
kaimon
Registered Users
seller

I can't answer the question because I start work next week. But I just went over all these details with HR today.

I get 9.6 sick days a year, and whatever I don't use in a year, I get paid. That's pretty cool, I think.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #26
lemurmommies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I work for our local school board as a classroom teacher. At the moment we get 10 sick days a year, and in the first 1/3 of the year I have used on sick day. Unless something major happens I doubt I will use all of my sick time.
lemurmommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #27
SurprisinglyCrunchy
Registered Users
seller

I get 30 days of PTO. I usually take around 4-5 days for sick time. It was less before I had kids.
SurprisinglyCrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #28
Spicymustard
Registered Users
seller

I'm a teacher and we typically work 184 days a year when we aren't going through a budget crisis and taking furlough days.

We get 10 days a year. Of those days 6 or 7 can be used for personal nessicity (don't need to give a reason) and the rest sick days or whatever you don't use as PN as sick. They roll over.

On a typical year I only use a few and its usually when one of the kids has an appointment or if I'm going out of town I might take a day. It seems in march I always take one "mental day" lol.

Join me on Swagbucks.
Spicymustard is offline   Reply With Quote