Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
xocen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
seven sling- help!

Hi mamas!

i purchased my very first sling/carrier today from sevenslings.com
i had a coupon code from a magazine and only had to pay shipping! yay!
i have a 15 month old who weighs about 28 lbs.
the website says up to about 35 lbs.

have any of you used these slings? what do you think?
how big was your child? what about with a bigger child?
love? hate? let me know your experiences!

if he likes this one, i'm going to put an ergo on the christmas list.
He hates riding in the grocery cart or stroller (usually, sometimes hes okay) but he loves to either walk or be held.
i bought a backpack harness/leash for him but am keeping it in the box until i see if he likes this. so i can take it the backpack back to target.

any ideas or experiences on how to get him accustomed to it?
i thought about just trying it around the house or outside or out shopping a few times to see if he likes it before i decide.
if he doesn't i have a friend i can give it to at her baby shower

let me know what you think! <3

Advertisement

xocen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: seven sling- help!

I would definitely practice at home and if he is fidgety give him a toy that is usually out of bounds to distract him while you get used to putting him in it. I also took him on a lot of walks around the neighborhood before I ever took him in public with it. That way I was comfortable which made him more comfortable. Good luck! I love wearing my little/big man. It makes everything easier knowing he won't fuss!
UVASahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
SamanthaLove88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was so super excited to try mine and I attempted a million times to love it but just couldn't My son is 10 months old and about 21 lbs. (he's a chunker) and I am short- about 5'3". I couldn't get this sling to work for me, it was cutting my neck- I think I ordered too big and his weight was wearing on me. It also was tight on the back of his knees (how he was sitting). I saw another mother at school had a Sling Ezee and let me tell you, she let me try it out and I just fell in LOVE! It has padding on the shoulder and neck and also underneath him, exactly what I needed to ensure neither of us would get cut by it. And it's adjustable. If you're not on the shorter side I think it would work out well. It's a little more difficult for me to find things to fit right Good luck!
Old 10-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
I've heard a lot of complaints about those slings. Actually come to think of it I have never heard anything positive. Most people end up saying it wasn't even worth it at the shipping cost. I think I also read somewhere that a lot of the problem with those are they don't use the proper material to make it comfortable. I have a hotsling one that didn't seem too bad but once I tried a ring sling I was in love. The ring sling I use is unpadded (that way it's fully adjustable) and it hugs my shoulder beautifully. I think the problem with a lot of slings is the fact that you can't adjust them. They either fit or don't.
itiswhatitis1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
xocen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I've never heard anything bad about them. if I don't like it I have a friend I can give it to. I hope I like it though.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
xocen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks ladies! I had never heard anything negative I hope it works for us!! I have a friend who will probably let me test out her ergo before I spend the money. if I don't like the seven sling I can give it to my friend who is expecting in feb.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:26 AM   #7
c'villelady
Registered Users

The seven sling is just a simple pouch sling. It is a very thin material and no padding. You can pretty much always get it free for shipping, but I've heard it's not even worth that. I've had other pouch slings that were a higher quality and had a hard time getting them comfy, but others love pouch slings! (never seen seven sling love though... many other brands are great! Fit is just important). I did find my pouch sling best with an infant or toddler who could sit up fully for use in a hip carry. That said, even if you don't love the seven sling, I highly recommend the Ergo! It's completely different so you/he could hate riding in a seven sling but love the Ergo. For a toddler you should think about getting the performance which I think has a higher back. I have an original Ergo, and my average size 10mo old can ride arms out and she wiggles side to side a bit much for my liking - I prefer a higher back! Good luck!
c'villelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:26 AM   #8
c'villelady
Registered Users

The seven sling is just a simple pouch sling. It is a very thin material and no padding. You can pretty much always get it free for shipping, but I've heard it's not even worth that. I've had other pouch slings that were a higher quality and had a hard time getting them comfy, but others love pouch slings! (never seen seven sling love though... many other brands are great! Fit is just important). I did find my pouch sling best with an infant or toddler who could sit up fully for use in a hip carry. That said, even if you don't love the seven sling, I highly recommend the Ergo! It's completely different so you/he could hate riding in a seven sling but love the Ergo. For a toddler you should think about getting the performance which I think has a higher back. I have an original Ergo, and my average size 10mo old can ride arms out and she wiggles side to side a bit much for my liking - I prefer a higher back! Good luck!
c'villelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #9
F1Julie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I tried 3 different sizes of the Seven Slings and could never get one to fit right. Since your child is on the bigger side, I would get something that distributes his weight over both shoulders like an SSC or mei tai. Like the last poster said, I prefer a higher back than the Ergo. Do you have a babywearing group near you where you could go try different carriers out? I would look at Two Mommas Designs (TMD), Action Baby Carriers (ABC), or Olives and Applesauce (O and A). All of them make toddler size carriers.
F1Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
xocen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I got an ergo from a lady so I'm excited to try it. if i don't like the sling ill give it to my friend