Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
NTNP... DH had a pelvic x-ray

Of course he thought nothing of it! He showed me the x-ray and I could see his "boys" and it dawned on me...his swimmers got irradiated too! Should we be actively TTA now and for how long?

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: NTNP... DH had a pelvic x-ray

I would imagine 2 weeks if you are worried. Normally they say 2 weeks is standard after getting a Vasectomy to clean out the system.

Sperm are being made new all the time (unlike our eggs which we are born with) so the above is just a guess.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
Pampered Mama
Registered Users
Formerly: JASMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quoted from this link:
http://hps.org/hpspublications/artic...infosheet.html

"Radiation Exposure to the Sperm from Diagnostic X-Ray Studies
There are no risks for genetic changes in the sperm if the testicle(s) has not been exposed. Testicular exposure and, therefore, sperm exposure may occur from some of the following diagnostic x-ray studies: (a) abdomen, hips, or pelvis, (b) lower spine, (c) bladder studies, intravenous pyelograms (IVPs), (d) fluoroscopy for urinary tract function, and (e) barium enemas (lower GI). Exposures to the sperm from these procedures are generally below 100 mSv.

The risk from radiation exposure of sperm prior to conception has been studied in two large populations. The concern by most patients is whether the radiation exposure to the sperm will result in birth defects. In one study, thousands of patients who were exposed to radiation in Hiroshima and Nagasaki and had families were studied for the incidence of genetic disease and other reproductive effects. After 50 years of studying this population, there has been no demonstrable increase in genetic disease. What was learned is that the risk is extremely small and that you need very large populations to demonstrate this risk. In other words, the risk from the radiation is too small to be detected amid the spontaneous incidence of mutations and the hereditary component of mutations that may affect the offspring.

Similarly, men exposed to radiation therapy and receiving large doses of radiation that may have exposed the testes as well as chemotherapy with drugs and chemicals, which are mutagenic, have been studied by the National Cancer Institute. There are now several thousand patients who have survived cancer that occurred in childhood, adolescence, or early adulthood. Families of these individuals also have not demonstrated an increase in birth defects or miscarriage.

It is possible that infertility or sterility may result if the testes receive high exposures of radiation. Because of the theoretical risks, we advise men who have had even diagnostic exposures to radiation to wait for at least two spermatogenesis cycles, which is about four months. While these very low exposures that occur from diagnostic radiological procedures are so low that there probably is not even a measurable risk, we still make this recommendation of waiting following the radiation exposure."

Pampered Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

One x-ray I wouldn't worry about. My DH used to be an X-ray crystallographer. I don't know exactly what that is either but he was exposed to MUCH more radiation then normal during this time. While we had to go through IVF to get pregnant, it was me, not him that was the reason for it.

I agree that if you are concerned wait till your next cycle to start TTC. Good luck!
3 ladybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks ladies. I guess we will tta this cycle just to be safe.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
FamiLEE
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thread is a couple days old but thought I would give you some input since I am a radiology tech.
A single pelvis X-ray will not do any harm. The amount of radiation given off is so small it will not cause any harm. A ct would be a different story. Or if he had an exam/procedure where they used fluoroscopy which is live X-rays.
I have been doing x-rays for 8 years.
FamiLEE is offline   Reply With Quote