Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
KLeeCW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Let's talk school pictures.

Do you buy your child's school pictures if they go to public school? If you home school, do you bring them for yearly pictures? For those who get theirs through your child's school, do they come out good? If they don't, do you have them retaken? How did the retakes come out?

DS just came home from school with his picture packet. Let's just say I'm not impressed. He has the most unnatural, almost pained look on his face, which is unlike him given he has a rather defined "picture smile" where he scrunches up his face with the biggest of grins. He says the photographer told him not to do that because mommy would want to see his eyes wide open. I actually like his goofy scrunched up look. This other look just isn't right.

I hate that you have to pay before seeing the shots or else pay more after the fact. I recognize that these photographers take pictures of hundreds of kids a day, so I get that they have limited time and just try to get any acceptable shot. They also probably figured they were doing me a favor having him not do that other smile since other parents might have had the shots retaken. I'm torn whether to have his pictures retaken or just keep these shots. I don't want DS to think it's a reflection of him about the pictures because he thinks he looks pretty good. I've also heard that a lot of retakes aren't that great either.

Agh, it's not his cute little face, it's just the crappy photography!

Advertisement

KLeeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Let's talk school pictures.

I get the cheapest package...just to get the class picture.

my mom is a photographer, so we get as many pictures as we want free when she takes them...and it's a more relaxed atmosphere

I'm waiting to get my sons back. The day he had them done, I picked him up and his shirt was on backwards At least he was in the back of the class in the pictures, so the class picture hopefully it won't show
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
southernbelle04
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is in her second year of preschool. Last year, the photos were "ok"; not spectacular but they were her first school pictures so we bought a package. This year, though, was terrible. They took them outdoors and there was a shadow right across the middle of her face in all of them. In one pose, she was even blinking. In the age of digital photography, they print out a shot where she was blinking??? Ridiculous. The minimum order was way more than I wanted to pay for such awful pictures. So I didn't buy any.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
KLeeCW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our DS is generally really photogenic, so we ordered a larger package. Now I'm kicking myself.
KLeeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
earthflower
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We buy the yearbook and the get a school ID. I like more natural pics better!
earthflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #6
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I order whatever package gets me an 8x10 for my wall. The local photographer does all the pictures (small town - only 1photographer in town). He does a good job with pictures. Well, dd1 does good with him. Dd2 doesn't smile for pictures - never has probably never will - so last year I order the class picture and nothing else because I knew they'd try to make her smile and she'd just look weird (I was right). Dd2's school pictures are next week and I haven't decided what I'm ordering yet - she's doing better with pictures this year but...

I know a couple SAHMs who dabble in photography on the side (working on building a portfolio for when their kids are in school) and I have one of them do fall pictures for me every fall so I have good pictures if I don't like school pictures.

OP - is there a picture retake day? Here you can get pictures retaken for free. And if you don't like the retakes they will refund your money.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I order a cheap package, then take kiddos to Portrait Innovations for Christmas pics. This year, I am hiring a photographer to do a private photo session in November.

DD's were cute, but you had to pay $3 extra for any background but grey. Now that they came and they were cute, I was sorry I didn't pick a prettier background.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #8
myblessedbaby
Registered
seller

I buy the cheapest package and don't do re-takes. I think bad school pictures are a right of passage and I celebrate them, lol!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblessedbaby View Post
I buy the cheapest package and don't do re-takes. I think bad school pictures are a right of passage and I celebrate them, lol!
and your kids can take them on the Ellen show when they get older
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
bfuzzy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I purchase the photo cd. It is usually cheaper than a package and I can print out whatever size picture I want along with how many I need.