Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-17-2012, 06:27 AM   #21
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Re: Let's talk school pictures.

I'm pretty picky about pictures, and I will not pay for pictures that are crappy. I think a lot of the schools get away with terrible photographers and pics because so many people buy them anyway "just because."

If school pictures are still the ugly pics they used to be - one ugly background with your kids head tilted at a 45 degree angle, then I won't be buying them. I'm assuming they haven't changed much. We'd rather pay more and get nice pictures at a professional.

Advertisement

Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:27 AM   #22
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

DP

Last edited by Mom2Connor; 10-17-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:28 AM   #23
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

DP

Last edited by Mom2Connor; 10-17-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:37 AM   #24
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

That is not cool that you have to purchase them sight unseen. Ours get taken, we get a proof package home. I feel no obligation to buy them if they are not good shots. I find many times school pics are strained, that hard grin, not natural and not "my kids." The odd time one turns out well. We get the class photo regardless of ordering, so it doesn't matter if we don't buy. Although, I admit to feeling a teensy bit of guilt not buying 4 rounds (fall, spring, repeat) the last two years. Hope this year's turn out better.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #25
Swimmingly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have to pick the package and send a check in with the kid on picture day. I still haven't seen her pic from this year. I paid for the cheapest option, just so I could get a class picture for DD to keep.

We take the kids to a photographer every year for "real" pictures. I don't plan to ever have school pictures be the only professional pics taken, and I don't really plan to ever buy more than just enough to get the class picture.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #26
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

We planned to buy the cheapest package in order to get the class pic, but the company that takes the pics for DD's school does not do a class picture. We debated getting a pkg anyway, but, thankfully, we get proofs before purchasing, and once we saw the HORRIBLE proofs, we didn't buy any (and they had 4! poses to choose from, all of them awful). We took DD to a photography studio for her 5yo/Kinder pics and bought those instead.

The company does a group picture later in the year. We will buy that class picture.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:39 AM   #27
judeabug
Registered Users
seller

We don't buy the kids' school pictures, but once or twice a year we spring to have a photographer take photos of the boys. I like more candid shots, and I feel like the pictures turn out better when the boys are allowed to just play and the photographer can just take photos of them being themselves. Plus, I think I'll look back on those photos more fondly, it's a better representation of how they actually look/act at their ages.

Oh, I should clarify that by "professional," it's usually someone who is wanting to start getting into professional photography. The rates tend to be cheaper and more affordable!

WAHM behind Serwa Chic:Cloth Diapers, Nursing Covers, Wetbags & Long Sleeve Bibs!My Family Blog: Jenny.erally Speak.ing
judeabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #28
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Yep I get them. The photographer who does them both at her old school and at the new one has the option of $30 for a CD with the release of copyright and a class photo, so that's what we do. I put one in her school day's book and print up some for friends and family, but this way I can get exactly what I want. DD1 had only had one last year, this year unfortunately she was ill on picture day so I'm waiting to find out when retakes are. If I can't get her to retakes, I'll take her up to walmart for the 7.99 one pose package.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #29
mom2LBJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

I always just order the middle packet option for Fall photos. Their Fall photos are pay before you order, but their Spring photos have an option to purchase only if you want out of the packets they bring home. In the Spring, I purchase the full packet. Their school uses "Life Touch" and I've always been pleased with them, even after doing re-takes a couple of times I also like their online options where you can view, edit & order custom items.
mom2LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #30
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS1's pre-school pictures are always the best ones we have of him. Seriously, I have no idea what they do to get him to get smile but he looks like the happiest kid ever.

I do the middle package and it is pay before you see them but since we love them, I don't mind.
kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote