Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #101
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Angry.. another "nursing in church" vent...

I don't believe the husband had any qualms at all with you nursing rather the wife is jealous type and is using her husband as an excuse.

Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #102
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicatefade View Post
I beg to differ. For sure the man needs to own up and grow up. But that doesn't excuse the OP from being gracious.
She's nursing in a sling,in the nursery and she is covered again by the sling how much more "gracious" shall she be?
Old 10-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #103
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Yikes I'm sorry!!!!!! She and her husband sounds like nut jobs to me and I would be fuming!!!

Eta just read your other posts. If he tells you not to nurse I would leave the church inmediately!!! You are not a lesser person because you breast feed!!! You need to be at church with your family, and if they a prob with that, find a new one! To boot I wouldn't tithe into a church that treats people like that!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Last edited by threelittlehoneys; 10-27-2012 at 01:45 PM.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #104
kelpie169
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnjess
With regard to nursing in biblical times and women's status at the time, women were not considered "lower than dirt," at least not in Jewish culture. While they may not have been afforded the same rights as men, they still had rights. Also, bear in mind that ALL babies were breastfed at the time - bottles and formula didn't exist. So, if a woman were out with her baby in the synagogue or other religious event (feast days, etc) there would be women nursing their babies. Furthermore, just to further illustrate the ridiculousness of this situation, in modern cultures where women are required to be covered from head to toe, breastfeeding mothers nurse openly in public in mixed companies with their boobs more uncovered than most Western women do while nursing. If these cultures who seem to sexualize a woman's entire body can understand that breastfeeding is not sexual, surely we, who consider ourselves "enlightened" can come to the same conclusion.

To the OP, I'm sorry that you're having to deal with this. One would hope that adults would be able to behave in a more mature fashion. Hopefully your situation will serve as a lesson to people and will make so that other nursing mothers won't encounter the same issues later on. I hope in your meeting that your husband backs you 100% and that the pastor sees things your way. Good luck.
::standing ovation::

Seriously. This country has warped breasts and breastfeeding. Breasts are used for nutrition AND they're a sexual thing. Wow-imagine something that has more than one "purpose". Anyways-the point is that you have to understand the content of using said objects, ie breasts. Breastfeeding is not sexual and therefore people should mid their own business about it. (For the record I had a woman approach me a few weeks back when I was nursing in target. I also had one of my boys in my cart and she saw that my little was a girl. She then proceeded to lecture me about how I'm turning my daughter into a lesbian and that only boys Should be breastfed. So yeah. People are stupid.)

Mama-I'm sorry you're having trouble. Just breathe deep and know you're doing what's best for you, your baby and your family. ::
kelpie169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #105
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelpie169

::standing ovation::

Seriously. This country has warped breasts and breastfeeding. Breasts are used for nutrition AND they're a sexual thing. Wow-imagine something that has more than one "purpose". Anyways-the point is that you have to understand the content of using said objects, ie breasts. Breastfeeding is not sexual and therefore people should mid their own business about it. (For the record I had a woman approach me a few weeks back when I was nursing in target. I also had one of my boys in my cart and she saw that my little was a girl. She then proceeded to lecture me about how I'm turning my daughter into a lesbian and that only boys Should be breastfed. So yeah. People are stupid.)

Mama-I'm sorry you're having trouble. Just breathe deep and know you're doing what's best for you, your baby and your family. ::
LOL!!!!

Are they handing our crazy pills!!?? Who in their right mind would think that's an ok opinion to share with a stranger?! I would have laughed in her face. Not out of rudeness, but out of here amusement at the ridiculousness of her comment. Oh dear.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #106
foolsgold
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well I am looking forward to an update on what the pastor had to say.
Mom I'm sorry you are having to deal with this in your church. No advice but lots of prayers headed your way.

As few things I want to share:
1) "breasts are used for breastfeeding but ALSO sexual pleasure" Ok so am I supposed to cover my hands, hair, lip, feet and every other body part that is dual purpose?
2) The mom who's church made all options available.... A+! Man where do you live? That would be a church I would be interested in I think.
3)Mom w/ the stranger in Target - How do you have the balls to just walk up to a stranger and say something like that?!?! ROFL! I would have been kicked out of Target for making a disturbance from so hard! WOW!
ISO: Chubby Cherub AI2 Diapers!
Find BF'ing Ribbons here.
foolsgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #107
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsgold
Well I am looking forward to an update on what the pastor had to say.
Mom I'm sorry you are having to deal with this in your church. No advice but lots of prayers headed your way.

As few things I want to share:
1) "breasts are used for breastfeeding but ALSO sexual pleasure" Ok so am I supposed to cover my hands, hair, lip, feet and every other body part that is dual purpose?
2) The mom who's church made all options available.... A+! Man where do you live? That would be a church I would be interested in I think.
3)Mom w/ the stranger in Target - How do you have the balls to just walk up to a stranger and say something like that?!?! ROFL! I would have been kicked out of Target for making a disturbance from so hard! WOW!
I'm from portland, or. That specific church isnt meeting anymore, but there are plenty of churches like that here. Portland is like the Mecca of natural parenting. :-)I'm sure there are plenty of really conservative churches, but there are quite a few which are focused on young families and make a point of making it easy for nursing moms to be part of the service.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #108
Winehouse27
Registered Users

I haven't read all the replies but that's so sad. I nurse wherever whenever and if people have a problem with it that's their hang up, not mine. Nor does my child eat in a bathroom stall as I have been told to do before. I'm sorry you're going through that. I would find a new more accepting church but that's just me.
Winehouse27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #109
7arrows4God
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have not been able to read all the responses but did read many, never did get to read the one about the church having all options. Would have liked to and may try to find it.

Yes, breastfeeding is natural and yes, in the same sentence they are for sexual pleasure too, but if you are nursing and totally covered, I do not think there should be an issue. And I will tell you why it should not be a big issue. Because it is the biggest hypocracy(sp) out there for women or men to complain about. Because most women in the church are wearing much more revealing shirts and skirts and the men or women are not complaining about it. That is all acceptable. That is what is maddening. So it truly really is people are offended about life. Get the revealing shirts out of the church and then maybe and I mean maybe you can have an issue with nursing. And I do not mean just the low low cut shirts. Some of those blouses done right up to the neck are just as revealing as you can see the total shape and bra underneath. So please do not have an issue with me nursing in public when totally covered and nurishing my baby while women are almost falling out of their shirts. Really I think it is sad that ones can twist nursing to such a obscure way of thinking. Shame.
Canadian mama to 13 blessings ds(18), ds(17), ds(15.5), ds(13.5), dd(11.75), ds(10), ds(8.5), ds(6.5), dd(5.5), dd(3.5), dd(2.5) , ds(15 months) and #13 due end of AUGUST. And yes that is while nursing night and day. :O)
7arrows4God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:02 AM   #110
aimeeturd
Registered Users

My Mood:
Any update OP?
aimeeturd is offline   Reply With Quote