Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #121
Michelle_M's Avatar
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 15,899
My Mood:
Re: Angry.. another "nursing in church" vent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coquelicot View Post
In a way, the other people have to compromise as well...they have to live with OP nursing during the service in the sanctuary when they'd rather that she do so in another room. She's trying to be a peacemaker and just feed her daughter when and where she needs it without feeling like she's disrupting the service, but at the same time not feeling like she has to leave. The back might actually be easier as the baby gets older; might be less distracting to not be so close to all the action, and less likely OP will have to leave the service because the baby is crying or squealing or whatever. I'm glad that the pastor sounds like a man of reason and that you found a solution that works for everyone.
Thanks.

God bless!

Advertisement

__________________
Christian wife to my hubby, mamma to three little men and a little lady!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #122
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,384
Re: Angry.. another "nursing in church" vent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_M View Post
It is a compromise for the other person to. She wanted me to be in a completely different room.

And also, because my pastor pointed out that something as simple as me picking up the baby distracted pretty much everyone. I don't want to be someone else's stumbling block, and I don't want to take attention away from the pastor.

I COULD have chosen to refuse to compromise, but what would that accomplish? Sometimes it's better to compromise to keep the peace, rather than insist on getting what we want.

I prayed before I went into the meeting. And this is a compromise I can live with. No one who wants to see me nurse will have to see me nurse, and I don't have to go into another room and miss the service, which was my MAIN complaint.

And honestly, I know this person, and she still won't be happy, because she (and Person B) both think that women should nurse in private, even if they are covered up... and she is such a stubborn person, I can GUARANTEE that even if she doesn't say anything else to me, she won't be happy. She is one of those people who sees life as "There is my way, and the wrong way." So really, this is compromise for her too.

And honestly, if the church members are busy battling each other, then the church becomes useless because it cannot function. And I don't want my pride to be responsible for the church being a battle ground and the church not being focused on it's mission.

God bless!
I think you are setting a fantastic example! It's great that you are that passionate about bf'ing and still willing to compromise in the name of your faith.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #123
acwakip's Avatar
acwakip
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Quincy, IL
Posts: 2,718
My Mood:
Re: Angry.. another "nursing in church" vent...

Michelle,

I am really proud of you.
acwakip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #124
itiswhatitis1984's Avatar
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 499
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by s@hmommy

I think you are setting a fantastic example! It's great that you are that passionate about bf'ing and still willing to compromise in the name of your faith.
I agree!!
I'm glad there's a solution that is agreeable
itiswhatitis1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #125
BeccaSueCongdon's Avatar
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,621
This all sounds like a wonderful compromise. :-) and way to go for handling it graciously. I think compeising like this and finding an agreeable solution does more for helping normalize breastfeeding than pridefully doing something to make a point. Way to go, mama.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #126
Michelle_M's Avatar
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 15,899
My Mood:
Re: Angry.. another "nursing in church" vent...

Such sweet and kind words of encouragement. Thank you so much ladies.
God bless!
__________________
Christian wife to my hubby, mamma to three little men and a little lady!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #127
Teexie
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,933
Re: Angry.. another "nursing in church" vent...

I'm glad you were able to reach a compromise that you're comfortable with. The lactivist in me is far from pleased, but honestly I wish I could be as more like you
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #128
Michelle_M's Avatar
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 15,899
My Mood:
Re: Angry.. another "nursing in church" vent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teexie View Post
I'm glad you were able to reach a compromise that you're comfortable with. The lactivist in me is far from pleased, but honestly I wish I could be as more like you
Oh I was furious, believe me. It took me a few weeks and some prayer time to be able to be in the right head space to speak to my pastor today.

But thank you for the compliment. I can't take the credit, I give it all to God giving me a gracious mind set going into the meeting.

God bless!
__________________
Christian wife to my hubby, mamma to three little men and a little lady!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #129
oneproudmommy
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 26
Re: Angry.. another "nursing in church" vent...

I'd be mad too! You can't control when your baby needs to eat and it's not fair to your baby to make them wait just because your at church. Whoever is uncomfortable with nursing in public (especially if your covered) needs to talk to you directly because it's very immature. There's nothing inappropriate about you feeding your baby and they need to understand that.
oneproudmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:28 PM   #130
kattayanna_mom's Avatar
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jacksonville North Carolina
Posts: 5,925
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliz7
Honestly I don't understand why YOU have to compromise and not the ignorant people that judge you for feeding your baby? Personally I feel being put in the back of the church sends a message that you are wrong and should be ashamed. How will bf ever be accepted if we cower in the back row? That husband is already watching you. Talk about creepy and inappropriate.
I guess it works for you so I'm glad you are happy.
I agree but I am the type that would be livid and refuse to pacify anyone for something like this.
__________________
Sharon,mom 2 Kaitlyn 19,Tayler 17,Anna 9,wife 2 James 4 yr old lead Teacher at a childcare center.
kattayanna_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.