Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #41
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Angry.. another "nursing in church" vent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwiamandaiwi View Post
If you are happy with this church in every other way then why would you leave just because a few people are immature. I would point out to the pastor that you are just nourishing your child as God intended women to do when he created them and you are also protected by the law and it would be illegal for him to force you to stop. Many people are unaware that bfing is a protected right. I am sorry that you are having to deal with these people but please do not meekly back down and think you have to find a new church or miss it altogether just because some people are immature. That is THEIR issue and THEY need to get over it. Allowing them to force you out will only serve to strengthen their point of view that breasts are sexual and not meant for bfing. UGh, I hate meeting people like this. I mean especially in CHURCH! Why do they think God gave women breasts????
Have you ever read the Bible? Breasts are talked about in a sexual way many times in the Bible. They are also talked about for feeding babies too. You can't just ignore the sexuality of breasts. God created men with those desires and attraction to breasts. It would be just as wrong to tell them that they are not sexual.

Advertisement

Holland Grace is here! (14/4/2013)
delicatefade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #42
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicatefade View Post
I have to agree with this. We are called to not make the weaker brother stumble. Obviously, this man is a weaker brother. Being a Christian is not about getting your own way, or shoving your point of view in someone's face. It's about grace and forgiveness, and sometimes, that means you might not be treated fairly. Jesus may have been breastfed, but I bet you anything it wasn't like the statues and paintings that are around these days. Women were second class dirt back then. I'm sure they had to hide away to nurse their babies. Also, as a man, Jesus was mistreated far more than any of us will ever be. And he did it for us.

In our church, we have an area just outside the sanctuary that has a bunch of comfy couches. There is a speaker there, so we can still hear the sermon. Not everyone uses this area, but it is there. And it isn't all secluded either. Anyone coming out of the sanctuary can walk right past it. But it provides a place to be comfortable while nursing. The toddlers often play there too, while the moms sit and listen.
This gets really close to the mindset that men cannot control themselves, that breastfeeding is in any way sexual and that women are responsible for men's thoughts.

If it bothers the woman and her husband, he can step out of the sanctuary and "avoid temptation".
themamageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #43
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aithyne View Post
This gets really close to the mindset that men cannot control themselves, that breastfeeding is in any way sexual and that women are responsible for men's thoughts.

If it bothers the woman and her husband, he can step out of the sanctuary and "avoid temptation".
I beg to differ. For sure the man needs to own up and grow up. But that doesn't excuse the OP from being gracious.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #44
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Quote:
I beg to differ. For sure the man needs to own up and grow up. But that doesn't excuse the OP from being gracious.
Except the OP is doing absolutely nothing wrong. For that baby, eating is as essential as breathing or anything else. There's nothing to be gracious about here. If there was, it would be like saying breastfeeding is somehow wrong.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #45
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I am confused. Is the sanctuary the auditorium or a separate area. I understood it was a separate area. If this is the case I am not understanding why op would need to seek yet another area to go to to feed her baby.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #46
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
I am confused. Is the sanctuary the auditorium or a separate area. I understood it was a separate area. If this is the case I am not understanding why op would need to seek yet another area to go to to feed her baby.
Some churches, the sanctuary is where the service is held.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:03 AM   #47
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aithyne View Post
Except the OP is doing absolutely nothing wrong. For that baby, eating is as essential as breathing or anything else. There's nothing to be gracious about here. If there was, it would be like saying breastfeeding is somehow wrong.
Then you misunderstand being gracious. You are gracious to someone else who is being an idiot. It has nothing to do with you, but you extend that grace because God calls us to love one another.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:14 AM   #48
Heather8183
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
I have to agree with this. We are called to not make the weaker brother stumble. Obviously, this man is a weaker brother. Being a Christian is not about getting your own way, or shoving your point of view in someone's face. It's about grace and forgiveness, and sometimes, that means you might not be treated fairly. Jesus may have been breastfed, but I bet you anything it wasn't like the statues and paintings that are around these days. Women were second class dirt back then. I'm sure they had to hide away to nurse their babies. Also, as a man, Jesus was mistreated far more than any of us will ever be. And he did it for us.

In our church, we have an area just outside the sanctuary that has a bunch of comfy couches. There is a speaker there, so we can still hear the sermon. Not everyone uses this area, but it is there. And it isn't all secluded either. Anyone coming out of the sanctuary can walk right past it. But it provides a place to be comfortable while nursing. The toddlers often play there too, while the moms sit and listen.
This is how I feel.

She's not saying you're not allowed to bf. She's saying it causes her DH issues. Who knows, maybe he's recovering from a sex addiction, **** addiction, or was sexually abused as a child. YES, in the worldly view, it should be HIS issue to deal with, and leave the room or turn around if he's uncomfortable, but to treat him how God tell us to, i.e. not be a stumbling block to our brother. His sin is his sin, but how YOU deal with it is YOUR sin.

I do think I would say something to person A along the lines of, "I understand your husband and yourself are uncomfortable with my breastfeeding my baby. Next time you have an issue, I'd appreciate it if you brought it to my attention rather than talking about me behind my back so we can talk about it like adults and work out a solution that's acceptable to both of us."
ES list IDDDSO Gira Diamonds & Stripes ringsling
Heather8183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:22 AM   #49
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

all of this dont be a stumbling block yadayada yada is really irrelevant the op was covered in both situations. if it is such a problem for this man then her getting up to leave with the baby would also make him think about her nursing therefore thinking about her breasts. its stupid in your opinions she might as well just stay home and not go to church since her church offers no place for her to nurse and listen to the sermon.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #50
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Then you misunderstand being gracious. You are gracious to someone else who is being an idiot. It has nothing to do with you, but you extend that grace because God calls us to love one another.
http://bible.cc/matthew/21-12.htm

I wouldn't call this behavior by Jesus gracious.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote