Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #61
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Angry.. another "nursing in church" vent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliasmom View Post
Good grief. I think this thread is getting a bit off track!

OP I hope that you and your pastor find a way for you to feed your baby without dirupting your worship or that of your fellow parishioners.

As to the current discussion. I agree that Christian women have some responsibility as our brothers' keepers. We have a responsibility to be discreet and modest in our sexuality and certainly to not expose our sex organs to a weak minded man. Breasts are sex organs and I don't think it is too much to ask to keep them covered during worship in the presence of a man who has expressed his need for it, BUT breastfeeding is not a sexual act. If a man has impure thoughts from the mere idea of a woman breastfeeding without ever seeing breasts or any sexual act than that is HIS PERVERSION and ******! If we as christian women gave reverence to every possible perversion and ****** than where will it stop?

Who knew feti$h wash a censor-worthy word
You said exactly what I have been trying to say with all my mindless babbling!

Advertisement

s@hmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #62
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@hmommy View Post
I am not sure how to say what I believe but I will try. I apply this to intentional acts. Not things that are out of our control, for example our appearance. Some people will find something to lust after no matter what we do. But if I do something intentionally and I know that it will cause someone else to sin I try to avoid it if reasonable (like, I wouldn't bf in front of this man because I know the consequences for him). Now, if he said he is turned on by hair, something he is constantly exposed to I would, say he needs to find his own way to cope because that is not something in my religion that is considered immodest to have exposed.

These are my personal beliefs. I understand we all have our own beliefs and I am not judging anyone for feeling different, but as a fellow Christian I can see the man and his wife's side as well as the OP. Yes, it is sad he has self control issues and she can't do something as natural as bf her child in front of him, but I personally would not want to be the reason he stumbles when it is something I can control atm.

You are entitled to believe otherwise, I realize that there are more liberal churches than mine but as I said, this is my personal belief.
I'm actually not a christian any more, but this was a discussion I would have when I was and it's still something I've tried to understand the mentality of. I appreciate your response.

I'd like to counter this line though, " Now, if he said he is turned on by hair, something he is constantly exposed to", and point out that breastfeeding should be something he is exposed to. It's feeding, and before bottles were invented, nursing was the only way for a baby to get food (okay, there were rudimentary feeding alternatives, like soaked muslin, but I think you get my point ). It's our society, even the secular half, that has made it so breastfeeding isn't so commonplace.

In fact, I'd argue that it's the secular men who find breasts to be sexual (through images or whatever) that have pushed for breastfeeding to be considered "weird" or "unnatural". Religious men would, in theory, consider it a natural, "god given" aspect of motherhood.

(Actually, I do wonder if a man was a transplant from a society that did cover hair and he was a convert, would you cover then? Where does the line get drawn? Again, a completely respectful question.)

I'll stop derailing the thread now (didn't realize; bad me! ) but thank you for the interesting back and forth.
themamageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #63
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Let baby cry in ss. See how offended eerine is then.

Can you start a ss class for moms? I get more out of those anyway.
Numommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #64
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliasmom
Good grief. I think this thread is getting a bit off track!

OP I hope that you and your pastor find a way for you to feed your baby without dirupting your worship or that of your fellow parishioners.

As to the current discussion. I agree that Christian women have some responsibility as our brothers' keepers. We have a responsibility to be discreet and modest in our sexuality and certainly to not expose our sex organs to a weak minded man. Breasts are sex organs and I don't think it is too much to ask to keep them covered during worship in the presence of a man who has expressed his need for it, BUT breastfeeding is not a sexual act. If a man has impure thoughts from the mere idea of a woman breastfeeding without ever seeing breasts or any sexual act than that is HIS PERVERSION and ******! If we as christian women gave reverence to every possible perversion and ****** than where will it stop?

Who knew feti$h wash a censor-worthy word
I agree, this is starting to run a little off track.

OP said in other thread there is no speaker system or special nursing area, so that's out. She was covered, not just letting her bewb hang out in church. She just wants to be able to actually attend her church and nurse her baby. Sheesh.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #65
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
You can also bring up Titus 2. We are called to care for our children and spouses. He has his calling. You have yours.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #66
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
If your pastor is going to ask you not to do this I think sleeveless low cut shirts, knee high boots, halter tops, short skirts should all go too. We all know modesty is not the norm in our churches an I almost feel like they are "picking" on you bc it is almost acceptable to do so.
I he is going to cleanse the church of Ill thought provoking people and things and he hope e stars w the dress code.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #67
hopeangelmomof5
Registered Users
seller

I didn't read of all the comments because there are so many!! I usually feed my baby in the nursery-there are speakers there and I would be very uncomfortable with any staring during the service. However, if I was you I would probably just sit on the back row and cover up. Please don't leave a church you love over this issue. And don't stop going to church because you have to sit it another room during the sermom (I get that!!) If nothing else, keep going just to show the devil and your town who's side you're on.
hopeangelmomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #68
iwiamandaiwi
Registered Users

so have you had the discussion with your pastor yet? what did he have to say about the matter? What have you decided to do? Dying to know here, lol. I hope it went well.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #69
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So sorry you have to deal with his kind of cr@p. Just wrong on all levels. Seriously, the law is on your side. If the pastor says you cannot nurse, call the media, stage a nurse in, do what it takes to protect your rights.

And I have nursed in mixed company in all kinds of situations. I know someone might be uncomfortable, so I attempt to be as discreet as possible, but you know, if you look, yes, you might seem some boobage. I have nursed in meetings, while negotiating for a car purchase, talking to my older male neighbor while sitting at karate practice, etc. I just keep confident and don't make a big deal about what I am doing, and just go ahead and nurse like it is the most natural thing in the world. And I can say I have made unexpected friends from these situations.

I hope that all this gets resolved quickly and smoothly and that you are back to nursing at church ASAP .
Old 10-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #70
aimeeturd
Registered Users

My Mood:
This whole situation just sucks! I'm really sorry you have to deal with this. I can't believe that this woman would be encouraging you to a) not breastfeed your child when she's hungry or b) to miss the sermon. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to discreetly nurse during church but sadly that is not the case for you since apparently you are wantonly trying to tempt this woman's husband! Ridiculous! Maybe when you talk to the pastor he'll consider wiring up a room so you can nurse and hear the sermon. Then everybody is happy.
aimeeturd is offline   Reply With Quote