Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #21
Sugar&SpiceX3
Registered Users
seller

Re: are American Girl dolls worth the price?

My oldest has one and loves it. She got Felicity right before they stopped selling her. I think they are worth the money although I had my DD chip in for so she could understand how important it was to take care of it. She just told me the other day that she wants another one for Christmas this year.

Advertisement

Sugar&SpiceX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #22
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

I felt the exact same way before I ever bought one. The first year I got one for my 4 (5 in Feb) and 6 year olds, they are now 7 and 9 and have 3 each They are absolutely worth it, I do not plan to buy them anymore (I bought them 2 of them, grandma got them the last one when we went to the AG store this summer). The hair on those we got years ago is still very nice and not matted at all. We also got Target/Wal-Mart 18" dolls that year from grandparents and they lasted about 1 year before we pitched them due to frizzy unfixable hair.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #23
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh, and watch they will have a free shipping code usually in October, that is when I will order mine. The dolls never go on sale either. Some of the accessories occasionally do go on sale, and there will be a Cyber Monday sale that will just be whatever they choose, but no dolls.

If you want to get a set of doll w/ clothes, sometimes HSN will have them, I think in October, and the entire set will be slightly cheaper than it is from AG, but it will include several outfits and accessories, so it will definately be more than $105.

If you have a store nearby, taking your DD to pick her own out is a fantastic memorable trip!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #24
JellEBeanDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I still have y Samantha doll to pass down to my dd in a few years! It's like 20 ish years old now
JellEBeanDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #25
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

unfortunately, yes. we made the mistake of taking the kids in the american girl store last week...whoops. now they both want one and so does ds but we arer waiting a bit, they destroy baby dolls too quickly
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #26
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Thinker
Oh, and watch they will have a free shipping code usually in October, that is when I will order mine. The dolls never go on sale either. Some of the accessories occasionally do go on sale, and there will be a Cyber Monday sale that will just be whatever they choose, but no dolls.

If you want to get a set of doll w/ clothes, sometimes HSN will have them, I think in October, and the entire set will be slightly cheaper than it is from AG, but it will include several outfits and accessories, so it will definately be more than $105.

If you have a store nearby, taking your DD to pick her own out is a fantastic memorable trip!
They actually do go on sale - as low as $35 a doll during their warehouse clearance sale in the summer. If you know anyone within driving distance of the sale, it's worth waiting. We got several My AG dolls, Bitty Babies, and even Ivy (seconds) for $35-45. Buy ahead for several years

DD got her first (Kanani) when she was 20 months, and we have been very impressed with the durability. It really depends on the kid, though: her friend has a bitty baby that is covered with marker and crayon stains!

Thrift stores have tons of doll clothes. The only new, AG clothing we purchased was a matching shirt set for DD and her doll to commemorate a trip to AG Place.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #27
madebymommy
Banned - User Requested
seller

My Mood:
Yeah, the free shipping is right now!
madebymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:14 AM   #28
jacandy
Registered Users
seller

I have always loved AG dolls! I liked them a lot more before Mattel bought the company though. I have mine from when I was younger and I'll def buy one if I have a girl someday.

http://www.iheartfrugality.com
jacandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #29
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

absolutely they are worth it! my fondest memories are playing with ag and reading the stories! in fact the first thing i did when i found out i was having a girl is to cal AG and make sure they had the replacement parts i needed my dd will get my sisters samantha and my felicity, right now they are displayed in her room, i even bought her a dress from janie and jack that looks like one of felicitys dresses so they can have pictures made

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #30
madebymommy
Banned - User Requested
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia.aline
absolutely they are worth it! my fondest memories are playing with ag and reading the stories! in fact the first thing i did when i found out i was having a girl is to cal AG and make sure they had the replacement parts i needed my dd will get my sisters samantha and my felicity, right now they are displayed in her room, i even bought her a dress from janie and jack that looks like one of felicitys dresses so they can have pictures made
Awww that is such a great idea! Those are the original dolls my SIL has. I'm going to look through the catalogue again with DD and make sure which one she wants. I'm so.excited and I'm surprised that DH is actually pretty enthused about getting her a doll, too!
madebymommy is offline   Reply With Quote