Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #11
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Extreme Cheapskates

I didn't see it, also not a family cloth person here, but I can see how that would seem really odd to mainstream people or those who haven't heard of it before!

I do think there is a point where you can become TOO cheap. Not the whole reusing thing, but maybe more in your life interacting with friends/family. Let's say we all have that cousin who makes more than we do, but constantly is the cheapskate with not paying restaurant tabs, not being the driver, always on the scam, etc....

I'll have to look up listings to see when it's on, sounds interesting. Where's the show about most people racking up tons of debt living beyond their means! "Debtsters", lol

Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #12
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

My sister said I should be on the show The one with the family cloth actually aired either earlier this year or end of last year. It was kind of like a pilot for the show. Anyways, I like watching people who are cheaper than me...it makes me feel more normal.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:46 AM   #13
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby View Post
My sister said I should be on the show The one with the family cloth actually aired either earlier this year or end of last year. It was kind of like a pilot for the show. Anyways, I like watching people who are cheaper than me...it makes me feel more normal.
I agree- they make me feel much better!
Old 10-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #14
sdavis514
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
LOL me too!!! I made my hubby watch the two new episodes last night just so I could say " See, I am not so bad!!". I make him watch the Extreme Couponing show for the same reason. I dabble in these arts compared with those on the show!

I do think that there is a point where being cheap can interfere with your relationships. Like the guy last night that took his family out for dinner, the one time a year he did that. They were expecting to go to a finer sit down resturant but instead he took them to a chinese buffet. Then he tried to only get three plates, even though there were 6 if them. And then he paid the whole bill in change ( this one Ihave no problem with, although I think as a courtesy he should have counted it out before hand and maybe rolled some of it). The family was upset and embaressed. This kind of situation seemed to make the family feel like they were not valued and important to their dad. Meanwhile the dad is hiding over $150,000 in several banks that his does not tell his family about! That is too far and too much to be healthy for his relationships, IMHO!
Old 10-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #15
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

I didn't see it last night, but I saw the episode with the family cloth lady when it was on a while back. I use family cloth myself, so I don't consider it strange. But when the other people came over and she was showing them, and talking about the stains? Yeah, that's a little odd in my opinion. And asking other people for their leftovers is just plain gross -- who knows what kind of germs those people have? TLC like to air things repeatedly, so I will have to try to catch the new episodes when they come on again.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #16
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
My daughter said the same thing! I told her I couldn't watch the show-it might give me too many new ideas
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #17
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavis514 View Post
LOL me too!!! I made my hubby watch the two new episodes last night just so I could say " See, I am not so bad!!". I make him watch the Extreme Couponing show for the same reason. I dabble in these arts compared with those on the show!

I do think that there is a point where being cheap can interfere with your relationships. Like the guy last night that took his family out for dinner, the one time a year he did that. They were expecting to go to a finer sit down resturant but instead he took them to a chinese buffet. Then he tried to only get three plates, even though there were 6 if them. And then he paid the whole bill in change ( this one Ihave no problem with, although I think as a courtesy he should have counted it out before hand and maybe rolled some of it). The family was upset and embaressed. This kind of situation seemed to make the family feel like they were not valued and important to their dad. Meanwhile the dad is hiding over $150,000 in several banks that his does not tell his family about! That is too far and too much to be healthy for his relationships, IMHO!

I haven't watch the show, but to the bolded What the heck is he being so cheap for when he's got that kind of money AND it's hidden from family. WHY is it hidden?? Above all else, THIS would be my main issue.
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #18
jacandy
Registered Users
seller

The lady with the family cloth was a repeat. It aired a few months ago. But the Asian lady and penny pinching guy were the new ones! Man that woman was nuts feeding her friends dumpster food.

http://www.iheartfrugality.com
jacandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #19
jacandy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby
Lol me too!

http://www.iheartfrugality.com
jacandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #20
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a co worker who sounds a lot like the dad who hid the money from his family. He is older and would track down every expense. He refused to shell out for a new car even though he could afford one and he complained about every dollar his wife spent. Someone once asked him to borrow 50 cents for the meter, offering to pay him back the next day. Well, he took out a little notepad, wrote down her name and "50 cents" next to it. That's a bit extreme, don't you think?

I wasn't even making close to his salary and I'm frugal in my own way, but I would let 50 cents slide!
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote