Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #21
cristancanoe
Registered Users

Re: Once a Month groceries?

Our local store is very expensive and doesn't have a lot of variety. So we plan a trip to Anchorage (125 miles away) about every 6-8 weeks and do a costco, fredmeyer, walmart run.
I have a large stockpile of staples and we eat mostly whole foods so its easy to keep it going. My freezer is full of salmon and halibut and we have chickens for fresh eggs.

I could do way better at meal planning to limit trips to the local store to get items to complete a recipe. For example I wanted to make spanish rice and was out of canned tomatoes.
The fruit/veggies spoil so fast if I buy them locally. I think by the time they make it to Alaska they are close to being done! I joined a CSA that ships directly to us from Seattle every other week. I pay a lot for the box ($43), but it is organic, fresh and rarely gets tossed. I think this saves us a lot in the end.

Now that I am pregnant, I will be travelling to Anchorage at least monthly so I will have to opportunity to shop more frequently.

Advertisement

cristancanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #22
TinyHineyDiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Does anyone freeze lettuce? Is it even possible? I would love to shop monthly but Dh brings salad to work for lunch every day and its hard sometimes to find lettuce that lasts through the week let alone a month!
Old 10-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #23
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

I have not purposefully frozen lettuce but the top shelf of my fridge freezes stuff and my dd's put some up there that we had for salad and it was a soggy mess when thawed. I would not suggest it.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #24
loganzmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Not sure if this would really help with the lettuce or not but my friend got the idea if putting the lettuce in a mason jar to keep it fresher longer off pintrest
Old 10-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #25
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I buy baby spinach for salads. It lasts much longer than any type of lettuce.....and it's healthier!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #26
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by syfitz View Post
I buy baby spinach for salads. It lasts much longer than any type of lettuce.....and it's healthier!
Yes. And I think romaine lasts a little longer then iceberg too.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #27
cristancanoe
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganzmama View Post
Not sure if this would really help with the lettuce or not but my friend got the idea if putting the lettuce in a mason jar to keep it fresher longer off pintrest
I have done this and vacuum sealed them with the foodsaver jar attachment. It does extend the life of the lettuce for a long time.

I planted leaf lettuce in window boxes inside this spring and it was great. I planted a row every 2 weeks and this kept me in constant supply of lettuce. I think I am going to start this up again now that my garden is frozen.
cristancanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #28
bfuzzy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
We have finally gotten on track with a regular store's sale cycle so we are now saving money this way.

Ok here we go: family of 4 plus 2 large dogs. DD has a dairy sensitivity, peanut, coconut and cantaloupe allergies. House is completely free of peanut, tree nuts and coconut. We occasionally have cantaloupe for dh. I am the only one that likes most squash so you'll see a lot of repeat veggies for us. Roasted veggies is usually turnips, potatoes, green beans, carrots and onions or broc, cauli and carrots.

Meal plan:
Breakfast- oatmeal, cereal, eggs with toast and fruit, different pancakes, waffles, eggs and sausage, eggs and potatoes, french toast

Lunches- sandwiches, different homemade rice mixes w/chicken or fish and veggie, both homemade and store bought soups, homemade spaghetti o's, ramen (we love ramen) with veggies mixed in, grilled cheese, chicken nuggets and baked fries, wowbutter and jelly sandwiches

snacks- fruit, yogurt, applesauce, graham crackers, home made granola bars, home made snack bars, pretzels, olives

Dinners-
1. buttermilk baked chicken, roasted cauli and roasted carrots 2. Grilled chicken sandwiches, carrot sticks, baked fries 3. sweet and sour veggies with rice pilaf and broccoli 4. lasagna with garlic bread 5. pork chops with roasted potatoes and roasted carrots 6.egg noodle stir fry (this is stir fry beef cooked with fresh or frozen green beans, tomatoes and green onions, salt and pepper in olive oil then toss with egg noodles, can add sour cream to make it stroganoff) 7.fajitas w/guac and mexican rice 8. irish hand pies 9. salsbury steak, mashed potatoes and green beans 10. open faced sandwiches with left over salsbury steak and potatoes, broc 11. Sweet and sour pork with rice pilaf and green beans 12. hamburgers and baked sweet potato fries 13. barb chicken with potato wedges and baked beans 14. left over frozen lasagna (I bake mine in 2 8x8 pans and freeze 1 before baking) 15. Spaghetti and meatballs 16. Sweet meatballs, green beans, carrots 17. Roast chicken w/roasted veggies 18. chicken n'dumplings (made with left over chicken) 19. chicken pot pie (made with left over chicken and dumplings) 20. pot roast with roasted veggies 21. enchiladas with left over roast 22. pulled barb beef with left over roast, baked sweet potato fries and baked beans 23. pork chops, sweet potato casserole (this is mashed sweet potatoes topped with sliced bananas and sprinkled with cinnamon and brown sugar), broc 24. Beef roast (like the good kind not cheaper pot roast), roasted potatoes mixed veggie 25. steak tips (cheaper the buying steak, but dh gets his steak needs met) with mushrooms, onions, baked potato, green beans 26. Pork chops, cinnamon apples, stuffing, carrots 27. pepperoni pizza 28. veggie pizza 29. spaghetti 30. Papa Murphys (first Friday every month).

this is just one month and we do not repeat this exact menu every month. We have other meals that you don't see on here, but you will see ingredients reflected in the Sam's list. other stuff- we have a garden so we have meals that require produce that you won't see on the list or you won't see enough of it on the list. We also make our jam and fruit syrups.

Sams List- its almost always the same, there are some as needed items that aren't always on the list. This list is usually gets us almost 2 months- so after getting some stock up stuff we can now only shop Sam's every 2 months.

-5-10 pounds ground beef- depends on the menu, it comes in 5 pound packages
-pack of raw hamburgers- think it has 12 burgers
-pork loin- the really big full length of a pig pork loin. Its about 10 meals worth after I cut it into chops
-2 chickens (how its sold)
-2 flank steaks (how its sold)
-2 chuck roasts (how its sold)
-1 nice beef roast
-1 bag frozen chicken breast (?? 5 pounds I think)
-whatever is on sell by sale- I can usually get a 2 pack of the small seasoned pork loins and/or small seasoned beef roasts
-tub of salami (3 pounds I think, only lasts about a week and a half though)
-25 pounds of flour (as needed)
-10 pounds rice (as needed)
-pretzels
-gogurt (think its a 24 pack)
-oatmeal (I think its 2 pounds)
-yeast (as needed)
-honey 5 to 10 pounds, we keep an extra 5 pounds of honey on hand at all time- we use a lot of honey
-cinnamon toast crunch (2 bag box only lasts 2 weeks, but I don't buy more because they would just eat more- they love it)
-Wholly Molly Guacamole 100 cal packs (freezes well)
- 2 pack of bread (only 2 weeks, if I am feeling industrious I make our bread for the rest of the month, if not I buy it when I buy weekly produce)
-1 to 2 bags of frozen steamable broc- 4 of the regular sized steam broc in each bag
-1 bag frozen whole green beans (5lbs i think)
-1 bag frozen mixed soup veggies
-1 bag of 4 pack steam bags of broc, cauli, carrots
-large bag of dried cranberries
-veggie oil as needed

Monthly grocery list- Most of the stuff on sale usually lasts more then a month but we buy almost every month when it goes on sale then skip a month and resume.

7 gallons of milk, 3 gallons of soy milk, regular butter (2), dd's butter (1), olive oil, cooking spray, sugars as needed, 5 lbs whole wheat flour and 5 lbs white wheat flour (as needed), 5lbs corn meal (as needed- not needed this month because we aren't making anything using it), 2 bags turkey pepperoni, ritz style crackers (as needed), 10-20 pounds of potatoes, 6 pounds of fresh carrots, a couple heads of garlic, 3 to 6 pounds of onion, raisins, 1 box of ramen noodles, everything after this are monthly sales- dog food (5), eggs (5), canned fruit (11 as needed), canned olives (11 as needed), Tyson chicken nuggets (3 as needed), fish fillets (2 as needed), Turkey sausage (4 packs), spaghetti sauce (11 as needed- this is something we get every few months when its on the monthly sale. the sale is 11 for $10), whatever pasta (11). end of sale stuff, but stuff we still buy every month- 2 jars applesauce, 1 box graham crackers, canned soup, tortillas (1 pack), 1 larger package american cheese, 1 pack sergento sliced cheese, barb sauce, 1 jar chicken bullion granules. Specific for this month- 1 can enchilada sauce, mexi shredded cheese, mozz cheese, stuffing, 1 bag dry navy beans, 6 sweet potatoes, 3 baking potatoes, 8 oz tomato sauce, 28 oz can tomatoes (both for mexi rice).

Weekly list obviously based on what we are eating that week and we buy almost all our fruit weekly. So according to the week we are having the item- mushrooms, spinach (for lasagna and pizza, could buy frozen but I'd rather use fresh), green onions, sour cream, celery (for rice pilaf). Every week- Apples (we usually go 2 weeks on this, but I don't push it more then that because apple season was bad this year- if I do 2 weeks we need 2 bags so 6 pounds I think), 3 pounds of pears (this is a week and half), 2 bunches of bananas (sadly this is one week), then a pound of whatever is on sale. During the winter: 1 container of strawberries, blueberries and blackberries- during the summer we grow all these.

think I got everything- I make french bread, pancakes and waffles for freezer, pie crusts, hmm think thats everything.
How much do you budget for SAMs & monthly grocery run?
Old 10-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #29
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfuzzy2 View Post
How much do you budget for SAMs & monthly grocery run?
Currently we budget $520 for all. We are going to push that up a little because dh wants to have steak more often. We use cash so I pull out the whole $520 on the 1st. Spend whatever at Sam's then split up the rest into weekly amounts- not sure why but this helps me plan more easily. Then I put everything that can be bought monthly on one list and leave stuff that I need to pick up weekly on a separate list- how much money we have determines what kind of fruit we buy for the month and whether or not I am making all our bread. Any money left over goes into a envelope for the next Sams trip- Just started the envelope for Sams. I hope that eventually we will get a month ahead with the Sam's cash so that the 1st month after sams trip isn't so tight. 2nd month is always more extravagant, so i am trying to be good and put the extra away so we will be more even. I spend about $120-$200 at Sams every 2 months- depends on what staples are needed that trip.

ETA: that includes health and beauty, laundry and dish detergents, garbage bags, tp, ect. I don't know how much we spend in actual food.

Last edited by jbug_4; 10-22-2012 at 05:54 PM.
jbug_4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #30
bfuzzy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
Currently we budget $520 for all. We are going to push that up a little because dh wants to have steak more often. We use cash so I pull out the whole $520 on the 1st. Spend whatever at Sam's then split up the rest into weekly amounts- not sure why but this helps me plan more easily. Then I put everything that can be bought monthly on one list and leave stuff that I need to pick up weekly on a separate list- how much money we have determines what kind of fruit we buy for the month and whether or not I am making all our bread. Any money left over goes into a envelope for the next Sams trip- Just started the envelope for Sams. I hope that eventually we will get a month ahead with the Sam's cash so that the 1st month after sams trip isn't so tight. 2nd month is always more extravagant, so i am trying to be good and put the extra away so we will be more even. I spend about $120-$200 at Sams every 2 months- depends on what staples are needed that trip.

ETA: that includes health and beauty, laundry and dish detergents, garbage bags, tp, ect. I don't know how much we spend in actual food.
YOU ROCK!

I need to reevaluate my budget. I start my month with $400, take $100 out for my monthly Costco & Trader Joe run, and the rest is divided for my monthly groceries. My budget also includes tp, soaps, hba, etc. You seem to get quite a bit of meat and still have a reasonable budget