Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-17-2012, 06:07 AM   #1
sandrc
Registered Users
seller

Goopey eyes?

My 15 month old has been waking up with goopey eyes this week. This morning it was so bad her eyes were almost glued shut. I've been cleaning them and squirting breast milk in them. Her eyeballs are a tiny bit red but mainly after I clean them and she cries. They don't seem to bother her at all.
Does this need a dr visit or just keep them clean and wait it out? I'm not a jumpy mom and I don't take kids to dr for everything. I've never felt with this before so I'm not sure.

Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 06:11 AM   #2
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

Yea I would take her, especially if it isn't going away. It could just be allergies but I am like you...I don't rush to the drs unless it doesn't go away after I've tried everything I can. If it were pink eye, it more than likely would have spread to the family...better safe than sorry
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:28 AM   #3
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:
Re: Goopey eyes?

Actually no I wouldn't. Most pink eye is viral and antibiotic drops are a waste, but doctors will automatically prescribe them. If it spreads, it spreads, just keep doing what you're doing. Do you have any other symptoms like runny nose, cough, anything like that?

ETA: just reread your post a little better, still sleepy here lol. If your dd is the only one with it and it doesn't go away soon then yeah, I would take her. But I still think it's most likely a virus. Viruses manifest in different ways for different people. She may have pink eye and you may get a runny nose, etc. KWIM?

Last edited by DalesWidda; 10-17-2012 at 06:30 AM.
DalesWidda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
sandrc
Registered Users
seller

No runny noses. Our weather is flip flopping around. The older kids have slight coughs they are in school.
The stuff in the baby's eye is green if that means anything. She has no cough or runny nose
Old 10-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
Lolobug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrc
No runny noses. Our weather is flip flopping around. The older kids have slight coughs they are in school.
The stuff in the baby's eye is green if that means anything. She has no cough or runny nose
Sounds like conjunctivitis of the eye (AKA pink eye). I try to be as natural as possible with my kids BUT you are dealing with your little ones vision... I'd bring my kid in.
Lolobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
wyoming butterfly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Natural vitamin A helps pink eye
Old 10-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

It could be pink eye.. if she or her siblings are not around other kids, it's not that bad. It's irritating to the eyes, but, I think it will clear up.

If they are around other kids, you need to either keep them away from others until it clears up, or get the drops. It's very contagious.

I, personally don't want to live with pink eye, so I get it treated right away. Also, if you get it, you need to throw away your eye makeup and replace it with new stuff when it's all cleared up.

I've only gotten it about four times as an adult, and I'm exposed to it a lot. So, while it's contagious, it doesn't mean you will get it. Just wash your hands often.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Another vote for pink eye.

as far as it being "super" contagious, I disagree. I think if you touch the kid's eye ball and then stick that finger in your own eye, then yes, you'll get it. Or if you lick their eyeball or something. But I've had it many times and never passed it to anyone, and my kids have had it and usually don't pass it to each other or to me.

as a kid when I got pink eye, I just cleaned my eye each morning with warm water. It was annoying. Sometimes my eye would hurt a little bit. It always went away within a week or so. We didn't have insurance, so going to the doc for something like pink eye was not going to happen.

As an adult I had it once and I use chamomile and it killed it almost instantly. I used it for maybe 2 days and it went away.

BM is good, but I'd try regular old saline solution, too. Saline solution is made for eyes and it actually kills a lot of bad stuff. Also pretty harmless and you can't do it too often and it won't hurt (as much).

Last edited by Kiliki; 10-17-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #9
sandrc
Registered Users
seller

I did end up taking her this morning and got confirmation its pink eye. We got drops and I gave the first dose.

Would pink eye make her hurt and not want to sleep? She cried for an hour before finally passing out in my arms.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrc View Post
I did end up taking her this morning and got confirmation its pink eye. We got drops and I gave the first dose.

Would pink eye make her hurt and not want to sleep? She cried for an hour before finally passing out in my arms.

Ya..your eyes feel kind of grainy and it hurts a little to open and close eyes. But, the drops hurt too. Plus the idea of someone holding you in a headlock while they shove something towards your eyes is pretty intimidating.