Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller

One and Done Moms

I have never been a person who wanted more than one child. At times I considered the idea of two or three but always came back to being content with the idea of only one. That, combined with my many years of m/c etc before I had my daughter only cemented the idea of having one child.

We absolutely adore our daughter and words cannot express the love we have for her but neither of us actually want more children.

Are there any other moms that are "one and done" by choice and content/happy with it?

Surely, I'm not the only one.

Advertisement

Austen 06/12
Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: One and Done Moms

Aw. I think that's a normal feeling.

After I had DD I felt that way. I mean, how could I want MORE than her, she was so perfect to me in every way!

...then I got pg w/LO #2.... then we were DONE.... then I misread my temps and had #3.... and #4 is on the way.... we couldn't be happier!

I think your feelings are totally normal. Don't think you're strange. Every person feels differently when it comes to family size and such. If you're content and happy, and your husband is, too. Who cares what anyone else thinks?
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
megenic
Registered Users
seller

We have two, but I can definitely see the benefits of only having one! Less money, less time, only one baby stage. I'm an only child and my dad got a vasectomy after I was born because they knew they just wanted one. But being an only child is actually why made me want more than one child...I didn't mind it as a kid but hate it as an adult. I hate that I have no siblings, no nieces or nephews, and throat all the pressure is on me to be there for my parents in their old age :-(

However, If you're both on board an feel the same way, who cares what anyone else thinks!
Old 10-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by megenic
We have two, but I can definitely see the benefits of only having one! Less money, less time, only one baby stage. I'm an only child and my dad got a vasectomy after I was born because they knew they just wanted one. But being an only child is actually why made me want more than one child...I didn't mind it as a kid but hate it as an adult. I hate that I have no siblings, no nieces or nephews, and throat all the pressure is on me to be there for my parents in their old age :-(

However, If you're both on board an feel the same way, who cares what anyone else thinks!
In a way we are cheating because my niece and nephew are being raised by my parents and the bio parents are not in the picture. We have them over literally nearly every day so I know my daughter will have sibling relationships with them. Even though she's only four months I can already see it unfolding.

Austen 06/12
Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i was going to have none for awhile we've said 6. but now that dd3 has some health issues im ok with four. that said, if we conceived again, we'd be happy too. an d i reserve the right to change my mind every other day fwiw i have a friend who had 2, boy then girl. just like she always wanted and if perfectly content(they are 9 and 11 now). whatever works for you is what works for you.
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

I think it's more and more common. We have 2, but most of dd1's friends are only children.
I could easily just have stopped at 1. I was on the fence for a long time.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
lissa~K
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was certain after my first that I only wanted one. Eventually we decided on two and were satisfied for a while, there is a 7 year break in there between our oldest kids and the littles. Now we are having our fifth and would love to possibly have one more. All this to say that you never know how your feelings may change over time, but regardless whatever floats your boat is great! It sounds like your daughter has lots of sibling like interaction so it may be the best of both worlds for you.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was fine with one. I have a brother and two much older half sisters. DH was an only and it was much more important to him to have our LO have a sib.

So here I am preggo with #2 and pretty excited but nervous on how I'm going to balance it all.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #9
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

We're two & done with our twins
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #10
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki
Aw. I think that's a normal feeling.

After I had DD I felt that way. I mean, how could I want MORE than her, she was so perfect to me in every way!

...then I got pg w/LO #2.... then we were DONE.... then I misread my temps and had #3.... and #4 is on the way.... we couldn't be happier!

I think your feelings are totally normal. Don't think you're strange. Every person feels differently when it comes to family size and such. If you're content and happy, and your husband is, too. Who cares what anyone else thinks?
This is exactly me! I never more than 1 until I got pregnant with #2!
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote