Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
earthflower
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Breaking Amish

I've been wasting time watching a show called Breaking Amish.I was just informed that the kids on that show are more foul mouthed than the kids on Jersey Shore. I thought it would be totally different than it is. They seem too mainstream, almost like the show is fake. I don't know. Maybe it's just me - they catch onto everything as it happens - if I lived without for that long I sure wouldn't catch on that quick! They took to texting MUCH quicker than I did - can't wait to see what happens next week!!! They just seem to know so much. I guess I expected them to have a harder time adjusting, or be shocked by more!That one chick is INsane!

Advertisement

earthflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
eileenAKAmommy
Mommy to 2 special boys
seller

My Mood:
Re: Breaking Amish

I agree!!!! Locally we have menonite stores, and from what I know Menonites aren't as strict as Amish.

From the show.... seems like too much drama and they know too much....maybe it's me being nieve about Amish, lol.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

I haven't watch too many episodes, but it seems authentic to me. Though these communities tend to be strict, they ARE exposed to the modern world. They shop at Wal-Mart and stuff like that. So, they see it and hear about it, but aren't suppose to do and use XYZ. When I lived in Kentucky, we were near an amish community and we saw them all the time. You'd be surprised. You'd also be surprised at how fast you can ajust to a new culture. When we moved to germany, it was a bit of a culture shock, but I think I adjusted fairly quickly. Things are done differently there. yes, they have modern technology and all that, but it's still a bit of a shift.
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:

Ive only seen the show once but I thought I heard one of the girls say they were Mennonite???
Old 10-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
krispy79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
They were probably texting well before leaving. In the Amish community teens and children are allowed to use modern technology, it's not until you are around 18 that you decide whether or not you will join the church and leave behind all of those things. I,m not sure what the practice or ritual is but you become baptized and then lead a modest life. There was a show a while back about the lives of teen Amish and they would go out clubbing and get rowdy, but come time for work and family they were ready to go. I guess the thought is to allow the children to get it out of their systems.
There is a reason these people decide to leave, they have been exposed to our society and ways of life. It's not new to them.

Is Someone Hurting you? You can talk to me 1.800.838.8238
krispy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
mixed_chica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry mamas, the show has been proven to be a total fake. Google it
Old 10-18-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
dncnshu00
Registered Users
seller

There are actually a lot of rumors flying that the show may indeed be more staged than it seems. I'm not saying it's staged or it isn't but the information is out there. Google "Jeremiah Raber" and see what pops up.
dncnshu00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixed_chica
Sorry mamas, the show has been proven to be a total fake. Google it
This.

Austen 06/12
Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

ok.. curiosity got me and i went snoopin... very interesting claims.. appearantly, rebecca was married to some ex amish and ran off with abe, had a child with him, ect before even "meeting" on the show. lol
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #10
earthflower
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dncnshu00 View Post
There are actually a lot of rumors flying that the show may indeed be more staged than it seems. I'm not saying it's staged or it isn't but the information is out there. Google "Jeremiah Raber" and see what pops up.
That's just scandalous! I thought he was kind of an a-hole. But, this just confirms it.
earthflower is offline   Reply With Quote