Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2012, 01:52 PM   #11
holly6737
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Did low iron/severe anemia change your birth plan?

7.6, wow! I think you are very wise for considering moving to the hospital for a hgb that low. If you suspect that baby might need a transfusion then I might consent to the Hep B vaccine- although the immunity he would get from the one dose by the time he got the transfusion would probably not be very high. (And I say that as someone who does not usually do Hep B right after birth for my own kids.)

Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 02:32 PM   #12
lovewool
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just a suggestion for a very iron rich food: good dark chocolate! Natural food stores often carry very high quality stuff. I just bought some today that had 28% of rdv in one serving.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #13
nisha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlichen View Post
What besides not giving a baby a painful shot is the benefit of avoiding vitamin K?
I don't agree with treating every baby as deficient in anything, and I disagree that "every baby is deficient" - maybe since "every baby" is born that way, and breastmilk isn't high in vit k (although colostrum is higher), that's the way it's supposed to be? Maybe their systems can't handle it that soon? The body naturally starts producing Vit K around the 8th day on it's own. Also, too much Vit K can overstimulate the liver and cause (promote?) jaundice. There ARE cases where it's needed, it's a very low percentage but I have a feeling it's because of the few percent that it has just become routine.
So for me, as long as the birth isn't traumatic (no instruments used, etc.), we delay cord clamping/cutting, and there is no circ or any type of surgery right after birth, I prefer no Vit K.
nisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #14
nisha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly6737 View Post
7.6, wow! I think you are very wise for considering moving to the hospital for a hgb that low. If you suspect that baby might need a transfusion then I might consent to the Hep B vaccine- although the immunity he would get from the one dose by the time he got the transfusion would probably not be very high. (And I say that as someone who does not usually do Hep B right after birth for my own kids.)
Thanks for the confirmation!

Why do you suggest the HepB in the case of a transfusion? Is it just the chance of contamination or is there something more?
Old 11-08-2012, 11:21 PM   #15
listalees
Registered Users
seller

I have dealt with anemia with my last 3 pregnancies. My levels dropped to a 7.2 in this last pregnancy. I have been taking floradixx since I found out I was pregnant but my levels were still dropping anyway. My midwives suggested I take a liquid B-12 supplement and D-3 in addition to the floradixx. Also they told me to make sure I was taking the iron in the morning and at night and my prenatal vitamins in the middle of the day because they can affect iron absorbtion. I have also been drinking liquid chlorophyll and eating lots of greens (kale smoothies and giant salads) and also eating lots of bone-brothy soups.
I still intend to give birth at home and I trust my midwives ability to handle hemorrhage should it occur.
listalees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #16
nisha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by listalees View Post
I have dealt with anemia with my last 3 pregnancies. My levels dropped to a 7.2 in this last pregnancy. I have been taking floradixx since I found out I was pregnant but my levels were still dropping anyway. My midwives suggested I take a liquid B-12 supplement and D-3 in addition to the floradixx. Also they told me to make sure I was taking the iron in the morning and at night and my prenatal vitamins in the middle of the day because they can affect iron absorbtion. I have also been drinking liquid chlorophyll and eating lots of greens (kale smoothies and giant salads) and also eating lots of bone-brothy soups.
I still intend to give birth at home and I trust my midwives ability to handle hemorrhage should it occur.
Good to know! If I was able to have a Midwife attend my home birth, that would certainly change things, but we would be doing UC if we do a home birth.
Did your levels come back up in your last pregnancy?
Old 11-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #17
ajbailey89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I was told my midwife friend that a b-12 deficiency can block the absorption of the iron. I started taking a b complex and my iron levels have significantly improved. It might be worth checking into.

my iPad thinks it is smart. It's not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1929169435.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	124357  
Old 11-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #18
nisha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbailey89 View Post
I was told my midwife friend that a b-12 deficiency can block the absorption of the iron. I started taking a b complex and my iron levels have significantly improved. It might be worth checking into.

my iPad thinks it is smart. It's not.
Good to know - Thanks!
Old 11-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #19
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You probably already know but just to mention make sure you are cutting diary too since it blocks absorbsion of iron. Drink orange juice with the floradix/iron. The orange j will help your body absorb the iron. I went from severe anemic to awesome above level (like my midwife literally gasped But if your levels do not rise, I think you would be wise going to the hospital. Good luck mama!
Old 11-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #20
nisha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_c_odonnell View Post
You probably already know but just to mention make sure you are cutting diary too since it blocks absorbsion of iron. Drink orange juice with the floradix/iron. The orange j will help your body absorb the iron. I went from severe anemic to awesome above level (like my midwife literally gasped But if your levels do not rise, I think you would be wise going to the hospital. Good luck mama!
Yep I have been cutting back on dairy!

Iron is up above 9 and my MW gave me the go ahead for a home birth... I'm SO excited!