Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-27-2012, 04:40 AM   #41
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Re: Declined antibiotic for Group B & regretted it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
If my math is correct.... and I am not a math gal.... you're more likely to die in an accident than to have a baby that dies from gbs.

Odds of dying in a car wreck... roughly 1.2%
40,000 deaths each yr from car accidents on average in the US.

Odds of baby dying from gbs.... ranges roughly from 0.00032 percent to 0.00096 percent.
1000-3000 deaths per yr from gbs in the US.

Odds of being struck by lightning in your lifetime... 0.0001
Just for a little more perspective.
I'm not saying this to cause trouble, but take it from someone who was in the small statistics for other things...

It's easy to talk about the low risk of something occuring until it happens to you. I would never hope anything to happen to anyone; if it does it can completely shatter your world. Being that statistic is horrible and the guilt that can come from that is rough, knowing there was prevention. I know I didn't fully understand until I was a small percentage.

There was a baby in town that died from gbs and she did not recieve antiobiotics. Is the statistic for the chance of that happening low because of the antibiotics???

I understand that it's all about your being comfortable about your risk to benefit ratio of procedures and it's your call. Just keep in mind that choices have consequences sometimes that will last a lifetime. That goes for everything.

As for the asking about infant probiotics... we used Klaire-Labs Ther-biotics for my newborns after the c-sections. 1/4 of a teaspoon per dosage. Can be mixed with breastmilk, formula, or food. Also placed on the finger and I've kind of swabbed it in the baby's mouth before they drink. It's in the mid-20 dollar range, but worth it!!! Got my baby's poos and all right on track again.

Advertisement

raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:14 AM   #42
Ellasundies
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly6737 View Post
Count me into the group who has also seen babies die of GBS sepsis, one from a homebirth transport. I cultured out GBS with this pregnancy after a urine culture and I am happily taking the antibiotics.

That said, please do not shoot hibiclens up your vagina. I dont' know why people would think that antibiotics in labor would be BAD and yet shooting hibiclens up your vagina is GOOD. That's not going to do anything other than give you bacterial vaginosis. Again, do NOT shoot hibiclens up your vajayjay. It's a bad idea all the way around.
There have been studies that show that hibiclens is just as effective as antibiotics so saying that it's not going to do you any good and will only do harm probably isn't very accurate. Plus there have been plenty of studies on hibiclens and plenty that say it should be a considered treatment option so I feel comfortable in saying the assumption that hibiclens is going to do nothing but give you BV is fear mongering.

At least with hibiclens the damage done to the body in terms of decreasing beneficial bacteria is only limited to a specific area, not the whole body. And it's not contributing to antibiotic resistant bacteria problems.

There are plenty of valid reasons to not be a fan of antibiotics in labor and valid reasons to be a fan of hibiclens in labor. You may not agree but even though I don't agree with the blanket antibiotics for everyone mindset I can still see the other side. You do realize that taking antibiotics can give you BV too right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies View Post
I'm not saying this to cause trouble, but take it from someone who was in the small statistics for other things...

It's easy to talk about the low risk of something occuring until it happens to you. I would never hope anything to happen to anyone; if it does it can completely shatter your world. Being that statistic is horrible and the guilt that can come from that is rough, knowing there was prevention. I know I didn't fully understand until I was a small percentage.

There was a baby in town that died from gbs and she did not recieve antiobiotics. Is the statistic for the chance of that happening low because of the antibiotics???

I understand that it's all about your being comfortable about your risk to benefit ratio of procedures and it's your call. Just keep in mind that choices have consequences sometimes that will last a lifetime. That goes for everything.

As for the asking about infant probiotics... we used Klaire-Labs Ther-biotics for my newborns after the c-sections. 1/4 of a teaspoon per dosage. Can be mixed with breastmilk, formula, or food. Also placed on the finger and I've kind of swabbed it in the baby's mouth before they drink. It's in the mid-20 dollar range, but worth it!!! Got my baby's poos and all right on track again.
The routine use of antibiotics is a more recent phenomenon. The numbers were very low before antibiotics as well. Those numbers have gone down significantly since universal treatment to all GBS + women began but picking at risk patients and only treating those women also caused the numbers to significantly go down as well.

From the research I have done on the matter. Antibiotics help decrease cases of GBS + infections but have not helped in decrease deaths from GBS.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #43
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

I think you need to look at your sources again, they might not be accurate.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #44
Ellasundies
Registered Users

I will gladly cite research to back up my statements however I'm not going to get into a research war since there will always be studies to back up any side on pretty much any matter and especially since my main reason for posting is that there are valid reasons to choose a treatment option other then what is primarily being used in the US. And women need to be treated with respect if they choose options other then what is commonly done.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12375548

http://apps.who.int/rhl/pregnancy_ch.../en/index.html

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5910a1.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2702484/
"Prior to the era of maternal prophylaxis, GBS had a reported national incidence of approximately 2 per 1000 live births"
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #45
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
If my math is correct.... and I am not a math gal.... you're more likely to die in an accident than to have a baby that dies from gbs.

Odds of dying in a car wreck... roughly 1.2%
40,000 deaths each yr from car accidents on average in the US.

Odds of baby dying from gbs.... ranges roughly from 0.00032 percent to 0.00096 percent.
1000-3000 deaths per yr from gbs in the US.

Odds of being struck by lightning in your lifetime... 0.0001
Just for a little more perspective.
if something as easy as taking antibiotics during labor can make a significant impact on the likelihood of my baby dying from gbs, then I will do it. thrush is not life threatening.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #46
lovewool
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know a family who had a homebirth and the mama had group strep b. I am not sure if she knew she had it prior to having the baby or not... but a few days after the baby was born she stopped breathing/almost died due to strep b infection. They were able to get the baby help in time but I am pretty sure she had to spend at least 2 weeks if not more in the hospital for treatment afterward. I'll try to find the blog post and link it.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #47
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2evie View Post
I'm not trying to be snarky but I really don't know why anyone would decline antibiotics if it's KNOWN to possibly have an adverse outcome??!! I am a labor & delivery nurse and also have worked post partum and newborn nursery and have seen some sick babies before due to lack of antibiotics - it just seems a little selfish to me.
Because my labours are too short to get the full round of abx in me! So far I've always tested negative, but if I was positive, there is little I could do about it anyway.

Holland Grace is here! (14/4/2013)
delicatefade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #48
redlichen
Registered Users
seller

I'm starting to hate this topic I started.
What is the likelihood that a mother who tested negative and did not receive Penicylin during labor will actually be positive during labor and her child will become infected?
What are the methods to stay 'negative' that will not kill off every bit of bacteria in their path?
redlichen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #49
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

just read the OP.. my friend is allergic to the antibiotic most commonly used, so they gave her a mild one and it didn't work and her son was taken an hour away to a NICU and kept for about a week or so. She had to pump every 2 hours and live in a hotel away from her new baby. She doesn't care whether they test her or not, she's opting for the stronger version (not the one she's allergic to) for this baby.

I know that you can test positive one week and be negative the next and then positive the next week, etc. So I know it's safer to get it. I would prefer not to get it because we had thrush issues, but I would prefer thrush to what my friend went through.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #50
weesej
Registered Users
seller
seller

Count me into the group who has also seen babies die of GBS sepsis, one from a homebirth transport. I cultured out GBS with this pregnancy after a urine culture and I am happily taking the antibiotics.

That said, please do not shoot hibiclens up your vagina. I dont' know why people would think that antibiotics in labor would be BAD and yet shooting hibiclens up your vagina is GOOD. That's not going to do anything other than give you bacterial vaginosis. Again, do NOT shoot hibiclens up your vajayjay. It's a bad idea all the way around.

Not wanting to start a debate...I have also been present at births where baby contracted GBS and died. (I am also a midwife) I take it very seriously. I am also a mom who consistently for many births tested GBS positive. However, that being said...there is a good sized body of European studies showing the effectiveness and safety of using Hibiclense. I have even had some Drs agree with me on this and I have used it personally for a number of my hospital births. I have only had 1 pediatrician insist that I was not treated and keep me for an extended time. It is diluted to a specific amount and I have never had any type of irritation or BV issues form using it. I would not advise using it fully concentrated...not smart.

I do think that the reason it has not been studied in the US is simply because there is no funding for a simple low-med/tech solution, not because it is ineffective.

"It's not healthy to have spirochetes eating away at your brain" What do you know about Lyme?
weesej is offline   Reply With Quote