Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #81
Erinjm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I tested pos for gbs at 37 weeks. In labor I got to hospital and they didn't have time to iv me. I was very nervous since it seemed they made a big deal out of telling me to call if my water broke(which I did). He's now four weeks old and fine.

Advertisement

Erinjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #82
allisonrose
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Declined antibiotic for Group B & regretted it?

My experience:
Tested GBS+, planned hospital birth with midwives. I did elect to get the IV antibiotics because I was told declining could lead to needing to have baby tested and being hassled about getting discharged even with a healthy newborn. We didn't have any complications from the antibiotics. (Although I hated the IV.)

For my second, I made sure to consume probiotics and used garlic leading up to the test. I planned a homebirth with a midwife in a state where she could have administered antibiotics. Before getting the results, we discussed using antibiotics only if I had other risk factors in addition to testing +: prolonged rupture of membranes, maternal fever. I tested negative.

Now I'm pregnant with my third. I am planning on a birth center birth in a state where midwives (CPM) cannot administer antibiotics. They use hibicleans in labor with GBS+ moms. If I test + then I will have to make a decision to go with hibicleans or transfer care. I will likely choose to remain with the birth center and use hibicleans. But hopefully taking care to consume probiotics again and use garlic will allow me to test negative again.
allisonrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #83
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Just wanted to say I had a lot of anguish over this issue... I didn't test because I knew I wouldn't use antibiotics anyways especially with how I had planned my birth. I had a home waterbirth, my bag ruptured right before i pushed and I was given 2 cervical exams in total. Plus baby was born into warmer than body temperature water.

My baby is fine. If I had given birth in hospital or had some of the risk factors during my homebirth I would have opted for testing and/or prophylactic antibiotics.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #84
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evasimone View Post
Just wanted to say I had a lot of anguish over this issue... I didn't test because I knew I wouldn't use antibiotics anyways especially with how I had planned my birth. I had a home waterbirth, my bag ruptured right before i pushed and I was given 2 cervical exams in total. Plus baby was born into warmer than body temperature water.

My baby is fine. If I had given birth in hospital or had some of the risk factors during my homebirth I would have opted for testing and/or prophylactic antibiotics.
This sounds really great.

but I guess I would be more interested if you HAD tested. There are too many unknowns with this scenario. If you were negative, you could have birthed the baby with no issues, regardless, right?

Not trying to be rude or anything.. just, as a scientist, I don't have all the data because you didn't get tested.

Congratulations on your new baby though!
Old 01-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #85
soon2b4ofmyown
Registered Users
seller

I never even thought about being able to decline. I was tested way early in my pregnancy due to some irritations I was having and was told then that I was positive. I wasn't even tested again later. I have been told that if you test postive once then they always don't take chances and consider you positive for every pregnancy afterwards. This was with my fourth. With the first three I never tested positive. Anyways, I had the antibiotics. Baby did just fine during and after birth. I would rather be safe than sorry.
soon2b4ofmyown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #86
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
This sounds really great.

but I guess I would be more interested if you HAD tested. There are too many unknowns with this scenario. If you were negative, you could have birthed the baby with no issues, regardless, right?

Not trying to be rude or anything.. just, as a scientist, I don't have all the data because you didn't get tested.

Congratulations on your new baby though!
You are absolutely right. I wasn't posting it as proof of anything especially since I had a 75% chance of being negative. I was just posting it as a kind of sidebar anecdote.

The day I went into labor I had actually decided to call my midwife and ask for testing. I kind of wish I did now.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #87
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Having had a baby born with type b strep and then spend over two years in and out of the hospital with a very sick baby I will tell you that I would never recomened not getting the antibiotics.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #88
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf
Having had a baby born with type b strep and then spend over two years in and out of the hospital with a very sick baby I will tell you that I would never recomened not getting the antibiotics.
This would be my biggest fear with declining antibiotics if I tested positive. I hope I test negative but I don't think I could handle the added stress if I tested positive and didn't take the antibiotics. Your baby is proof that there is a valid concern (vs an over hyped scare tactic). I'm sorry you went through that!!
itiswhatitis1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #89
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2b4ofmyown
I have been told that if you test postive once then they always don't take chances and consider you positive for every pregnancy afterwards.
I don't think this is accurate. I was pos for my first pregnancy. I was tested this time (2.5 years later) and tested neg. I didn't do anything to affect results (no hibiclens, garlic, probiotics).

It was something I discussed with Dr. a lot because I am allergic to the most commonly rx'ed ABX. Last time, they cultured my GBS and found the only ABX that was effective was vancomycin which required 2 doses 12 hours apart.

So on to this pregnancy - dr. said even if I was pos, it could be a different strain that would be responsive to another ABX.

I was very happy to test neg, only because it's one less thing to figure into having the baby.

Last edited by AniMommy; 01-04-2013 at 11:48 PM.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:57 PM   #90
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniMommy View Post
I don't think this is accurate. I was pos for my first pregnancy. I was tested this time (2.5 years later) and tested neg. I didn't do anything to affect results (no hibiclens, garlic, probiotics).

It was something I discussed with Dr. a lot because I am allergic to the most commonly rx'ed ABX. Last time, they cultured my GBS and found the only ABX that was effective was vancomycin which required 2 doses 12 hours apart.

So on to this pregnancy - dr. said even if I was pos, it could be a different strain that would be responsive to another ABX.

I was very happy to test neg, only because it's one less thing to figure into having the baby.
You don't do the hibiclens to change the test results. It is a disinfectant soap the kills bacteria. You douche with it (mixed with water) prior to giving birth but before your water breaks to "wash" the birth canal. It has been found to be pretty effective. It is definitely better than refusing antibiotics and doing nothing. I have FAST labors. I've never tested positive but if I did, I would do the hibiclens because I would likely not have time for the antibiotics.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote