Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

1 Week post partum

I am a week post partum now and am having trouble deciding if I need to rest, or if I need to be up and doing stuff.

I *feel* like I am ok, but like I need to rest more. Like you know that feeling just before you get sick where you feel like if you just rest, you won't get sick, but you know if you push yourself you will be really sick and regret it? Sometimes you push it and then get really sick other times you take some rest time and don't get sick.

That's how I feel.

DH is home today still, and then the weekend, Saturday and Sunday, and he goes back to work on Monday. And he's doing quite a bit...just threw in a load of laundry, cooked (sort of) for me and the kids, etc. So he's helping out.

But I feel like there's ALWAYS more to do. Like, we need milk, I could go out and get a couple gallons.

So I am having a hard time figuring out, how much do I do, how much do I let DH take care of...I just dunno.

Advertisement

happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: 1 Week post partum

If you feel up to it, do it. if you feel like you need to rest, rest. Listen to your body. Don't be a hero, take ALL the help you can get.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
megkmc
Registered Users

It's only 3 more days he is home, go ahead and rest. You'll have plenty to do come Monday. I am three weeks post partum and I am still trying to find the balance...I usually get up and do some things and then need to rest a bit. Good luck!
Old 10-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm feeling the same. My husband is doing a ton. But, I've been up and about and cleaning and such a lot too. We also went pumpkin picking on Thursday. It wasn't a great idea for my body. My bleeding picked up and by the time we got home I felt like I could barely get up the stairs because my body was so utterly tired. I feel sort of okay, but like I need more rest than I'm giving myself. Today and tomorrow, I'm planning to take it as easy as possible. My husband has off on Monday and Tuesday too though.

I'd rest while you can.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
jlsquire0324
Registered Users

Rest!! There will be plenty if times you will want to but can't... :good vibes:
jlsquire0324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsquire0324
Rest!! There will be plenty if times you will want to but can't... :good vibes:
So true! Take advantage while you can! Wish I had taken my own advice. You will also find that the more you do, your body will react and you might bleed more..take it easy
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
strongwoman
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I learned this time around with my third child that I needed to rest. My MW told me to basically just hang out with the newborn and resist doing any housework. It was hard to let go of the housework, especially when it seemed like everything was out of order. But, it was THE BEST thing I've ever done for myself after birth. And, it was time where my husband could learn to serve me as well as spend some quality time with my other two boys. He was also able to take six weeks off from work under paid family leave- worked half time for those six weeks while being paid by the state and the company. If your hubby can do that, that would be even better for you and the children to adjust to the newborn. Also, I went shopping eight days after the birth and we walked a whole bunch then BAM! I had major bleeding. My body was clearly telling me to slow WAY down. Now that you have four kids, I think you should really take as much time as you can to recover and adjust. Remember, your body just went through a majorly traumatic event. REST!
strongwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #8
DragonnMama
Registered Users
seller

I pushed myself when I thought I was ready to go around this time and was I ever wrong! Caused my bleeding to pick up (a good sign you're pushing yourself too hard). I was lucky to be able to heed my midwife's advice: for the first six weeks your ONLY job is to nurse that baby!

// Fantail Photography //
www.fantailphotography.com
Creatively capturing your life's most memorable moments
Based in the Philadelphia Metro region
DragonnMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #9
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Well I am coming up on 2 weeks now. I for SURE need more rest, but DH had to go back to work, so it's me, the new baby, and the 2 yr old and 4 yr old. :sigh: So far, really, they are doing fine. But by last night, day 2 of DH at work all day (he's gone 12 hrs each day) I was WIPED OUT. Bleeding had picked back up (of course) and I was just DONE.

DH has a doc appointment on Monday, just a routine visit, but he went ahead and took the whole day off, so he will have a 3 day weekend, which will really help me I think. Plus, Sunday, he's taking the 2 and 4 yr old to the pumpkin patch, so it will just be me and the baby on Sunday.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Kim - I need more rest too. I have my newborn, my twins who are 2, my twins who are 4 and my just turned 7 year old. Today is my first day without my husband or any other help. 3 of my 5 olders have the flu. I should have rested more when my husband was here. My bleeding was almost gone, but picked back up Monday. I've been going and going because of needing extra appts and needing to run errands that I had to do (like getting something notarized). We found out Monday after a same day appt and an x-ray that my newborn has a broken clavicle from birth. It's just been crazy here.

I think I'll sleep and nurse all day Saturday. LOL!

Try to rest as much as you can.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 10-24-2012 at 01:33 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote