Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #11
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: HSing budget?

It has changed as the kids got older. I spend less than $50 pre-k and k, I spend around $100 for grades 1-3, around $200 grades 4-6, $300 7-8, and high school is expensive! My oldest is 9th grade this year and I've spent around $400 so far but that is mostly used curriculum and searching for deals. Other expenses have come up, like lab and project supplies. She is on a Science Olympiad team and that will bring more expenses throughout the next few months too.

Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #12
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hi there!

I decided to hop in on this thread. I don't use a curriculum w/ my DDs so I don't have a cost there but there are others.

We are relaxed homeschoolers who do our own thing so some of my costs are things families would do as just fun family activities. Are they homeschooling expenses or just spending time together expenses, both?

The other day I went to buy our family of 6 tickets from 2 performances of children's theatre. There went $120. I also bought tickets for a student dance series for children again around $120. On mail projects which my DDs do we probably spend under $100 (this may include sending letters to penpals, postcard exchanges and Flat Stanley projects). There are costs for field trips to the local nature park when they do a program. I would say we also spend around $100 on those programs.

If I start thinking of gas cost of driving to places our cost is going to be much higher.

I like to say I homeschool very inexpensively but written out it seems to cost more than I thought. I am sure I am also omitting a few other expenses.
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I spend probably $50 a week on driving kids to their activities!
Old 10-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #14
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

HA the more relaxed of a HS I get the more money I end up spending.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #15
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingmama4 View Post
For us, the only thing required to home school is:
1. The Bible
2. A library card
And
3. A Math curriculum

Of course we spend $ on travel, museums, concerts, etc..
I think homeschooling can be extremely expensive or as simplistic as you want.
The library has soooo many resources for free! Ours even has Rosetta Stone!
This! It really just depends on what you want for your family. You could do it very, very inexpensively. Or you could spend a ton. Right now our budget is $300 per year. We have 3 kiddos--only two really homeschool, but the little also has her own sissors and stuff because she likes to feel involved.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #16
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We haven't figured out a budget as of yet, but I can see us really nailing one down over the next 6 months. I would say so far we have spent around $400 to include his Kindergarten curriculum, random lapbooks, ink for printer, new printer, laminator and sheets for it and then books and such. We use a TON of resources from the library though for free and find a lot of free stuff online to add in with what we are doing.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #17
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
This year for kindergarten, I spent about $30 on Hooked on Phonics, $35 on Horizons math, and $75 on We Choose Virtues. I maybe spent $30 on school supplies for both girls and some workbooks from Target's $1 section. So under $200.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #18
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisathib123 View Post
I spend probably $50 a week on driving kids to their activities!
If I counted the gas used chauffering the kids around, my budget would probably be about $300/month more.

I've been giving the budget topic more thought. I realize that some of the activities the kids do, we would do whether we homeschool or not, but I like the idea of lumping "all things kids" into one line item (minus gas ). I think it would also give me a boundary for those little things that I keep thinking I need. Right now anything extra tends to come from the grocery budget. But if I have a kid fund, I think I'll be more apt to keep track of that balance and not buy those little things if I know that it is coming from the same pot as those bigger expenses like lessons, books, dues, etc.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #19
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Great responses. We do utilize the library quite a bit and I draw inspiration from montessori and waldorf as well so there's a lot of nature study and practical life that doesn't take a lot of supplies. For math and early reading/writing we're printing pre-k packs online for different themed units, those are free but I think the ink, paper, and lamination sheets are going to need to be budgeted. I think a part of me also wants a schooling budget so I have an excuse to buy a great book or whatever, kwim? Like last year I bought these element blocks as 'school supplies' lol.
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #20
UmmKira
Registered Users
seller

Yikes, it looks like we spend a crazy amount! We spend around $1,500 a year right now for middle school. The homeschool co-op eats up a lot of that at $800 for two classes, and last year I spent $400 on Rosetta Stone 5 year program. Next year we are starting high school (yikes!), so I'm looking at AP books... hoping I can find some used. Funny, I probably only spend about $200 on books themselves since we use the library so much. The rest of it is entrance fees for museums, supplies (ink, paper, etc.), and all that. I don't count in her fencing fees because we would be doing that anyway.

Come check out my homeschool blog!
UmmKira is offline   Reply With Quote