Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2012, 05:44 AM   #1
QHoneyB
Registered Users
seller

*UPDATED with new pics!* Newborn diaper reviews with Pics! Covers, prefolds, flats

Yay, it's my turn to share diaper reviews!! My baby is already 1 month old, I can hardly believe it! I will have more photos later, but I'll just start with what I have first Oh, before I forget, my daughter was 7lbs 4 oz. at birth and most of these pics were taken in her first week.

One of my biggest "worries" was which diaper covers I could use before the cord fell off. I tried all the covers that I had, and most of them were able to fit under the cord. However, even those that fit under the cord sometimes seem to ride up after they are worn for awhile and therefore rub on the cord. My absolute favorite for the first week when the cord was still on was....

dappi pull on covers! These fit so well under the cord and didn't ride up to rub on the stump. They were easy to put on and only once did some poop get on a cover. These are so cheap I'd definitely recommend anyone to pick up a few!

Under these and other covers I was using:

premie prefolds (so cute!)

gauze/muslin flats (so easy to snappi because of the large weave!)

GMD orange edge prefolds (love the absorbancy, but my oldish snappi didn't work very well on them, so usually I put these under wrap covers so I don't have to fasten them)

Other covers I use:

My Very Best newborn covers/AI2 with double gussets. These I also loved for before the cord fell off. They fit VERY well under the cord and didn't ride up. I used trifolded premie prefolds in them as an AI2 when the rise was snapped down. Now at one month I use with a trifolded GMD orange edge prefold with the rise unsnapped. These have the MOST gentle leg elastic because I got them with microchamois on the inside. They are snug around the leg but leave absolutely NO marks. and they are adorable!

*update* at about 3 weeks I started unsnapping the rise on these. This pics was taken right after her one month appointment, she was almost ten pounds:

I use a GMD orange edge trifolded inside of these usually. It's definitely the most trim cover I have, and still oh so gentle on the chubby thighs!

Swaddlebees Capri size 1. I thought these would be great for under the cord. When snapped down they definitely did fit under the cord, but they tended to ride up over time and rub against it. Maybe the snap version would be better for this, I don't know. Plus the leg elastic is somewhat stronger than my other covers and it tended to cut off her circulation and give her purple legs a couple times. I had to fasten it pretty loosely to prevent that, so I only used it a couple times in the first couple weeks. Now at 1 month and weighing about 9 1/2 pounds they fit a LOT better. No more cut off circulation and they fit great on the middle rise snap. I can use them over either trifolded prefolds or fastened prefolds/flats with no problem.

Fluffy's Diaper covers. These had too tall of a rise to use before the umbilical cord fell off. But after that first week they fit great! Even though they don't have double gussets they are sewn that they fit snugly yet gently around the thigh, so no leaks. Not that I've had any leaks with any of the covers I have either. I really like these.

*update* at about 5-6 weeks the rise on these started getting a bit small, making them a bit hard to fasten, so I changed to the size small now at 6 weeks and about 10 1/2 or 11 pounds:

Emotibums wrap size 1. This did fit under the umbilical cord, but also tended to ride up a bit. But at least it was soft, so it didn't seem to bother the cord too much. They are of course more bulky than PUL covers, but they are soft and comfy and so gentle on the legs!

*update* photos at one month and about 10 pounds:

Grovia AI2 I have four of these in the hook/loop. I didn't expect to even bother trying one on so soon, but I wanted a plain pink diaper for a photo shoot so I got it out and tried it on. Lo and behold it was a great fit!! This was at 3 weeks, so she was probably around 8 1/2 to 9 pounds here. They fit SO well at the legs, I was very surprised! I use a trifolded orange edge prefold at the lowest rise setting. These are now the diapers I always use when out and about, not that we've gone out a lot yet, but still...

They look a tad more bulky than the newborn covers, but they are still trim enough to fit under newborn sized clothing, seen here:

So that is what I have so far. Soon I'll try on all our one size diapers and take some more pics! Enjoy! And here is the mandatory cute baby face picture:

*new*

MEOS fitted. I am using these for nights now, with a doubler and a stay dry liner. It needs a doubler because she sleeps totally on her back, so the pee kind of collects there in the back. Before I started using a doubler I got some seepage onto her swaddling blanket one night.

Simplex one size AIO - I was really excited to be able to have some of these in my stash. I have half a dozen. Hopefully in the future I can afford a few more! Here it is at about 10 pounds:

As you can see it's not even on the tightest waist snap, so I"m sure it would have fit earlier. I didn't even think of trying it on earlier!

Advertisement

Last edited by QHoneyB; 11-03-2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: added pics
QHoneyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #2
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:
Re: Newborn diaper reviews with Pics! Covers, prefolds, flats

She's so adorable! Congrats!

I love the look of those My Very Best newborn covers. Where do you get those?
Old 10-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
babymakes3.4.5....
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yay! Thanks so much for sharing, I LOVE these threads! They help show which diapers work well and have the added bonus of being super cute And she is gorgeous!
babymakes3.4.5.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #4
QHoneyB
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees View Post

I got them here on etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/MyVeryBest?ref=ss_profile She doesn't have any newborn in stock right now, but you could always message her and ask if she is planning on it. She has a WAHM thread on here as well. I also have two of her OS pocket diapers, I'll get pics of those soon!

ETA: she does have a listing for these newborn ones here: http://www.etsy.com/listing/79037630...-choose-prints
Old 10-20-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

Thanks! I sent her a PM. They looked like they had an awesome trim fit on your adorable LO.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
QHoneyB
Registered Users
seller

Quote:

Quote:
Thanks! I sent her a PM. They looked like they had an awesome trim fit on your adorable LO.
yes, they were/are definitely the most trim of any of the diapers that I have.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #7
mtietz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for posting these! So helpful! Your sweet girl is so precious. Congrats!
Old 10-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
dannic
Registered Users

Congrats! She is so sweet.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #9
heatherz1982
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She is SO adorable, congrats Thanks for the reviews too, I love seeing the pictures showing fit and hearing what others experiences were for newborn dipes. I think I will want some newborn fluffy's covers when we have the next one, and I like that double gusseted my very best one, I'd never seen those before.
heatherz1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

So cute!

OP--have you had any issues with that Grovia shell wicking moisture through the leg elastic threads? I have a whole stash and used them just like that, as soon as the cord stump fell off, over trifolded preflats. They fit beautifully but ALWAYS leaked EBF poo . . . Not OUT of the cover but THROUGH the stitching around the legs. Her clothes and blankets would be soaked with poo . I am trying to decide if I should keep them for the next baby or not . . . Maybe it was just a fluke with DD? I even contacted Grovia for help and they couldn't resolve it . . .
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote