Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
tinytushi
Registered Users
seller

Wool poison?

I have been researching wool because I was concerned about the itch factor. Then I cam across this "This is because wool and sheepskin often contain phosphorus, arsenic, or antimony, all of which can lead to toxic nerve gas production." The article can be found here

http://www.preventsids.org/2008/02/m...on-on-net.html

Is there any truth to this? Is it only some wool? I cannot find a lot of info. and was wondering if anyone else has found or heard anything? I am thinking maybe I will stick with fleece. Having a baby is so scary now that everything is on the internet, lol!

Advertisement

tinytushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Wool poison?

Interesting. I have never heard of this. I would think though if this were really a concern their would be more info on it. Plus warnings about using wool.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well, fleece is polyester, and it is supposedly toxic too:

http://bodyecology.com/articles/top_...p#.UILYQUSzjIo

I pick my battles, and I feel wool is the best option for us. I'm honestly not too concerned about the wool being bad for my baby. There's going to be something bad about everything, and you have to pick your battles.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think there are arguments for how EVERYTHING can be toxic LOL! Even too much water can kill you There are probably chemicals in most manufactured natural and synthetic products. But I have never read a study that says "don't wear fleece it will kill you" OR "don't wear wool it will kill you". My feeling is that you and your little one are probably safe with either one

ETA -- after looking at that article, I am skeptical about this author. I mean, they linked an article that purports there is no proof that HIV causes AIDS... I see what they are saying, that there are people who have HIV but no AIDS, and people who seems to have AIDS but no HIV, but MOST people who have HIV and aren't on antiretroviral drugs DO get AIDS...so to dismiss HIV as a possible cause seems odd to me. Also that article is OLD -- 1994 -- there have been MANY developments and discoveries since then.

Last edited by boysniris; 10-20-2012 at 11:14 AM.
boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris View Post
I think there are arguments for how EVERYTHING can be toxic LOL! Even too much water can kill you There are probably chemicals in most manufactured natural and synthetic products. But I have never read a study that says "don't wear fleece it will kill you" OR "don't wear wool it will kill you". My feeling is that you and your little one are probably safe with either one
YES!! This exactly. Well put.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think I am going to move to a mountain top. Drink filtered water. Eat only organic food grown in the least polluted country. And wear no clothing because nothing appears safe to breath, eat, drink, or wear.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
ServingHim
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
I think I am going to move to a mountain top. Drink filtered water. Eat only organic food grown in the least polluted country. And wear no clothing because nothing appears safe to breath, eat, drink, or wear.
And you would still be near something that will kill you!

Like another poster said, you can't get away from bad stuff. Its everywhere, your car, home, food, clothes, EVERYTHING.
You just have to pick your battles. Do what you can, but in general I think wool is pretty safe.

You'll drive yourself crazy worrying about every little possibility!

Last edited by ServingHim; 10-20-2012 at 11:29 AM.
ServingHim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
umajo
Registered Users
seller

From what I understand, pesticides (sheep dip) is applied to sheep (except organically raised sheep). The wool is washed thoroughly before being processed although there may still be residues. For sheepskin, nasty chemicals can be used to process it, so if you want to use sheepskin for a baby, I would look for products that specifically state they are not made with toxic substances.

If you are concerned about toxins in wool, buy organic wool products. No sheep dip is applied to those sheep.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
tinytushi
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for this answer. If I just buy plain wool wouldn't washing several times get out the residue? I have no problem getting organic if I can find it. But if I choose used sometimes it is hard to tell.
tinytushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #10
JuneBeanMama
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris View Post

ETA -- after looking at that article, I am skeptical about this author. I mean, they linked an article that purports there is no proof that HIV causes AIDS... I see what they are saying, that there are people who have HIV but no AIDS, and people who seems to have AIDS but no HIV, but MOST people who have HIV and aren't on antiretroviral drugs DO get AIDS...so to dismiss HIV as a possible cause seems odd to me. Also that article is OLD -- 1994 -- there have been MANY developments and discoveries since then.
I agree!!
JuneBeanMama is offline   Reply With Quote