Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Hypoglycemic & possibly diabetic - Anyone else who can offer info?

I found out I am severely hypoglycemic & need further testing to see if I have diabetes (my doc suspects I do). I know very little about this since no one in my family or that I know has it. I'm curious about how you control/manage your symptoms, snacks you eat, etc. I'm supposed to eat every 2 hours (protein based snack), at meal time & also a substancial protein based snack before bed. I'm having a hard time figuring out what to eat & actually eating that often!

TIA

Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
KiltedKingdom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hypoglycemic & possibly diabetic - Anyone else who can offer info?

First off, My DH is diabetic. It is controllable, some people can control it just by diet/exercise. Some people need drugs. It is entirely possible to live a long healthy life with diabetes.

It does take some work to figure out what to eat and when. It is best to eat protein with carbs, because it makes the carbs digest slower, and won't spike the blood sugar as much. My DH is hyperglycemic, and is on insulin, sometimes he goes low. He has had several episodes where he's lost his mind, one time he even fell asleep during such an episode and I couldn't wake him up (I knew he was in the middle of an episode, so I was able to give him a shot with a glucogen pen to bring his blood sugar back up. It was so scary, though!) Make sure you talk to a dietician. They're very knowledgeable about what to eat and when and can help create a customized plan for you.

GL!
Old 10-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am hypoglycemic and completely diet controlled. My dad is diabetic and right now keeping it controlled with one oral pill a day and diet. We eat lots of: hummus (I like it on carrots to get a little carb but not to much), raw almonds, light or low fat string cheese, peanut butter on apples or celery or banana, boiled eggs either plain or deviled with low fat mayo, beef jerky (but in moderation because of the salt content). That's all I can think of for now. But I"m sure there is more. I try to eat three meals a day and have two to three snacks. And fit it all into a 1350 calorie diet so I can loose weight. It is possible and sometimes I do better than others. My dad is a BIG man and so it's not quite as hard for him as he can eat a lot of calories and still loose. I count out my 6-8 almonds and my small apple and that's what I get where he can just grab a few handfuls of nuts. Of course it takes more to fill him up, but still we both manage.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, cottage cheese and greek yogurt are great too.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
starbeam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you can't be hypoglycemic and diabetic. hypoglycemia refers to overactive eyelet cells in the pancreas - basically, when you eat a high carb/high sugar food your pancreas produces too much insulin and your blood sugar goes low. so, you have to track your eating carefully, eat frequently, eat carbohydrates that release slowly, and eat protein with everything.

diabetese refers to either - type 1/juvenille: your eyelet cells in your pancreas have completely shut down. you don't produce any insulin and never will. you have to take insulin shots according to a scale that you work out with your doctor and through experience for all the food that you eat that has carbs in it and for your daily glucose production. and type 2/adult onset: your eyelet cells in your pancreas cannot keep up with your carbohydrate intake. you still produce insulin, but your metabolism has gotten so slow (normally due to lack of muscle tone and lack of exercise) that you don't break down carbs quickly enough and your pancreas can't produce enough insulin to keep up with your carb intake, so you end up having leftover sugar and eventually ketones backed up in your body. sometimes this can be treated and even "cured" with a careful diet and exercise plan, some people have to take pills but can eventually go off of them if they diet/exercise, some people always have to take pills, and some people have to take insulin shots. it depends on how your body reacts to different drugs and how overweight you are or how willing you are to diet/exercise.

so basically, they are two opposite afflictions. you probably are HYPERglycemic, and misheard or misunderstood, and your doctor thinks you have diabetes. HYPERglycemia is the opposite of HYPOglycemia. the first refers to having high blood sugar (diabetese or pre-diabetes) and the second refers to having low blod sugar
Old 10-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #6
starbeam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

the best tool for dealing with diabetes is your glucose meter - the little machine that you stick your finger and put blood in. use it to take your blood sugar when you wake up, before every meal, and before bedtime. don't ignore it. write down your blood sugars in a little book (your doc can give you one) so you can recognize patterns (ie, "my blood sugar is always highest right before dinner," etc) and then you can exercise at the best times and create a diet that works best for you.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:18 AM   #7
starbeam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i've had type 1/juvenille diabetes since i was 11 years old, btw
Old 10-17-2012, 12:22 AM   #8
starbeam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

the snacks slimy72 listed are great ones! something that combines protein and carbs is always best, and overall, a low carbohydrate diet throughout the day is best (try to cut out sweets like cookies, candy, cake, soda, sweetened coffee drinks, etc. also cut out white bread and white rice and pasta and try not to eat too much rice or bread at all. whole fruit is fine because it releases slowly, but stay away from juice unless you need it for an accidental low blood sugar, which can happen if you take too much medicine)

basically, like a caveman type diet is the ideal diabetic diet
Old 10-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbeam View Post
so basically, they are two opposite afflictions. you probably are HYPERglycemic, and misheard or misunderstood, and your doctor thinks you have diabetes. HYPERglycemia is the opposite of HYPOglycemia. the first refers to having high blood sugar (diabetese or pre-diabetes) and the second refers to having low blod sugar
Do you have any sources for this info? Just curious - I like to research all angles of things. I do have the paperwork here & it does say HYPO & there are notations about being prediabetic/possibly having diabetes. I also have a critical level of ketone output in my urine.

I've been searching online & finding info that discusses both hypoglycemia & patients with diabetes experiencing hypoglycemia. From what I understand hypoglycemia can occur in people with uncontrolled type 2 diabetes by way of ingesting too large an amount of high glycemic index foods. I'm still learning, so I always appreciate new resources.