Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
lakemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question S'bish not too soft, what's up?

I got 4 Sustainable Babyish sized fitteds brand new off a mama here last week, and washed them twice. I've since washed them a couple more times as they're our nighttime diaper. While they're nice and thick, they're not nearly as soft as everyone raves about.

What's up? Will they soften (beyond the obvious)?

I didn't expect them to be like OBV, but they're pretty darn crunchy.

Advertisement

lakemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
momgoddess
Registered Users
seller

Re: S'bish not too soft, what's up?

The thing with OBF is that over time it gets that way and they are stiff when wet, but absorb a TON. You can keep them soft by using ECover fabric softener, and I don't skimp, either. It's totally safe.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
lakemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Re: S'bish not too soft, what's up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by momgoddess View Post
The thing with OBF is that over time it gets that way and they are stiff when wet, but absorb a TON. You can keep them soft by using ECover fabric softener, and I don't skimp, either. It's totally safe.
They're brand new, and I use ECover in every wash.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
eileprose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have the same issue with them. Once every 6 weeks or so I soak them in a pail of hot water and a capful of 7th generation fabric softener. It helps. Stiff or not they absorb like crazy. I only have 5 'dedicated' night diapers. 2 sbish OBF, 2 ecoposh, and 1 pianissimo. I only just got my pianissimo and I love it. So far its super absorbent and soft. I can't wait to see how it does over time. I bought both my OBFs used so I have never felt the amazing softness that everyone talks about, I've kinda always wondered how long it took them to get stiff in the first place. They were both in seemingly vguc when I got them.
eileprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
lakemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'll just stick with OBV against the skin from now on. Yes they do absorb a ton!
Old 10-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
momgoddess
Registered Users
seller

That's weird. I just bought 5 that were (gently) used and I have washed them at least 3 times since I got them and I haven't used any ECover, because I have been out and mine are still soft. I don't know what to tell you, unless it's a water thing. I have soft water, maybe the hardness of water or certain minerals in the water etc effect it?
Old 10-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #7
ServingHim
Registered Users
seller

I found that they get crunchy fast in comparison to new. When they are new they are amazingly soft a squishy! But after a few washes they start to get stiff.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ours are still very soft & some of our Sbish OBF fitteds are a year old now (we have about 25 in the XL size). I wash them in liquid Tide or Tide Free with warm water and throw them in the dryer until they are completely dry. I know some use Ecover & have been happy with it but I'm allergic to the scents so we can't use it but thankfully haven't had the need either.
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #9
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have Sbish bamboo terry flats, so I'm not sure if the fabric is exactly the same. But I bought these brand new and have washed them several times. It seems like ANY bamboo diaper does start out silky-soft at first, but in time loses that silky feel as it's washed. I do try to use Ecover every so often, but our water is moderately hard and I find that what stays the softest is cotton velour, minky, and fleece (minky and fleece being synthetic).

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #10
kalibratx4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah I wasn't impressed. This was one diaper I HAD to try because you here so much about them ( not the obv) the other terry fitted ones and ick... Brand new they are so yummy soft but within a few washes they start to get stiff. We didn't have a heavy wetter so I did not keep them long. I will stick to flip organics for nights, these just seem to get softer with every wash.
kalibratx4 is offline   Reply With Quote