Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-21-2012, 03:52 AM   #1
O'sMommy:)
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Heavy wetter HELP!!!!!!

First, I'll give you a little background. My 4 month old son seems to have become a heavy wetter litterally overnight. This is the second night in a row that he's woken up soaking wet! Night before last, it happened TWICE! We use Flip aplix (I have snaps too but prefer the aplix) covers with Flip Stay Dry inserts and a Stay Dry newborn insert/doubler for at night and its worked for us so far but the past 2 nights, when he wakes up, he has urine all up his back and one of the times, it had come out of the leg holes. I feel so horrible but its also frustrating for me. I love cloth diapering but if I don't find a solution soon, my husband is going to make me destash and go back to disposables bc the only reason he agreed to cloth is bc we couldn't find a diaper he either didn't pee out of or have blowouts in.

Ladies, please help me!!!!!

What do you think could be causing this all of a sudden? And any suggestions as to what to do? My husband has already said that he will not use prefolds to where he has to snappi/pin them on so that's completely out. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 04:03 AM   #2
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Heavy wetter HELP!!!!!!

Hugs mama, I'm up too. It sucks! With DS I Just layer up big time at night. I also have a prepared diaper ready to go to put on him at like 4 or 5 in the morning. Try using your flip cover and adding a whole prefold beneath the flip (just folded in half or thirds). Still add the doubler if you have room. His butt will be huge but hopefully it will hold everything.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:45 AM   #3
astutzman
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried adding a hemp insert? Thirsties hemp inserts worked for us, for a long time. I paired them with a flip insert (flip closest to his bottom), hemp absorbs more, but it also absorbs slower, so if he'sa fast wetter...I have heard some fabulous things about fitteds and wool. I have hesitated with using wool for years, and just recently broke down and ordered some. I am hoping it is our dry night solution! Best of luck!
astutzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:01 AM   #4
Magoo07
Registered Users
seller
seller

Flips with a flip insert, a doubler, AND hemp is the only thing that works for us. I just use a hemp babies large doubler as the bottom layer (closest to the pul) and in the morning it's really wet... I don't think we'd make it overnight without that. She sleeps 11-12 hours at night and sleeps on her tummy.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

I quit night diapering when I had #3 because it was too much of a hassle. One disposable diaper a day was worth my sanity.

Have you tried putting wool over the flip? With my ds, he needed a huge amount of absorbency. I think I used 3 or 4 hemp insserts, plus a PUL cover, plus a wool cover over that. It was the only thing that worked. I've heard of people putting disposable diapers over their night diapers too, but I never did that.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #6
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees View Post
I quit night diapering when I had #3 because it was too much of a hassle. One disposable diaper a day was worth my sanity.

Have you tried putting wool over the flip? With my ds, he needed a huge amount of absorbency. I think I used 3 or 4 hemp insserts, plus a PUL cover, plus a wool cover over that. It was the only thing that worked. I've heard of people putting disposable diapers over their night diapers too, but I never did that.
This. I finally gave up the battle when DD was 13 mos. It's the only reason we continued CDing until she PTed.

We generally did heavy-duty fitteds, usually hemp, w/ wool covers. Once she started leaking out of a KL hemp w/ an extra hemp insert, an extra stay-dry mf insert w/ a felted soaker & a wool doubler AND fleece pajamas on a daily basis, I just decided it wasn't worth the trouble. That set-up, as well as some pocket fitteds and fleece pockets (LOVED Lollidoos) were great when she was little...Super-Do inserts were awesome!

ETA--the super-soaking could be r/t a growth spurt or teething; DD ALWAYS peed through everything (including nighttime sposies) when she was teething. She's a heavy wetter all the time anyway, but teething & growth spurts probably doubled the amount she was wetting...if you've got an early teether, this could drop back to "regular" once the teeth come through.

Last edited by carriek38; 10-21-2012 at 07:44 AM.
carriek38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:37 AM   #7
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sounds like compression leaks. I would try the Flip organic insert, maybe with a hemp babies doubler instead of the stay dry. You can easily add a fleece liner for dryness. Is he leaking during the day too? If not then it would be silly to stop CDing if it works except for at night. If you are getting leaks during the day too with the stay-dry I would do padfolded flats.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #8
astutzman
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hemp babies weren't absorbent enough for my super soaker. I highly reccommend Thirsties hemp or baby kicks! (baby kicks are my favorite, but they cost a little more.
astutzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #9
sweetest
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was using a flip with organic insert with either bamboo or mf doubler inside a BG stay dry sleeve and it never leaked. I just hated the bulk of night diapering so I have started using a sposie at night...
sweetest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #10
waldorf and ragamuffins
Registered Users

Taking notes!!!
waldorf and ragamuffins is offline   Reply With Quote