Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #11
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Risks Associated with Shoulder Dystocia-Brachial Plexus Injuries

Crystal, what a sweet little boy he is! That is so much for a little baby to go through, but he looks so happy

I have had 2 births involving SD. My first they did some sort of maneuver and I had an episiotomy- the baby was totally fine. My 4th birth, he was stuck for several minutes but I think that pushing my legs way back to my chest and me pushing finally got him out. He had a broken clavicle at birth, but it healed right up and he didn't have any lasting effects.

I'm pregnant with my 5th and though I would just ask for those of you with experience: what did the doctors or midwives eventually do that got your baby out ok? I've heard of flipping over to your hands and knees, but just wondered what worked for others?

Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

My midwife and her assistant pushed my legs back to my chest and it did not work, then they had me stand up and try to squat some and that did not help. Then (in that position) the midwife reached up in me to try to manipulate his shoulder and couldn't get a finger between us and couldn't break him free and that did not work. Last resort was pulling and tugging on him sooo hard (hello severe brachial plexus injury!). When she pulled hard enough to get him out, it broke my tailbone and by then I had already ripped all the way. He needed rescusitated and oxygen when she finally got him out. It took awhile as they had lost his heartrate before they pushed my legs to my chest for the first try. Thankful God intervened and the midwife was able to get him going again. While a brachial plexus is a lifelong injury and has changed my son's life forever, I'm so thankful he has life. We are blessed.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #13
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410
Crystal, what a sweet little boy he is! That is so much for a little baby to go through, but he looks so happy

I have had 2 births involving SD. My first they did some sort of maneuver and I had an episiotomy- the baby was totally fine. My 4th birth, he was stuck for several minutes but I think that pushing my legs way back to my chest and me pushing finally got him out. He had a broken clavicle at birth, but it healed right up and he didn't have any lasting effects.

I'm pregnant with my 5th and though I would just ask for those of you with experience: what did the doctors or midwives eventually do that got your baby out ok? I've heard of flipping over to your hands and knees, but just wondered what worked for others?
I was originally squatting. After a few minutes they realized he was stuck. I then laid on my back with my legs up. Didn't work. Finally I went to my hands and knees. With my left foot on the bed. I can't recall the name. My midwife was able to reach up and turn hjn and he came out without injury. I also didnt tear. It was about 6-7min. They did have the oxygen out but it wasn't used.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:09 AM   #14
dolphingirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post

I was on hands and knees already when my midwife realized it was a shoulder dystocia situation. She had me put one foot up closer towards my head, like a runner's stance. That didn't work. Then I laid on my back with knees way up by my ears, and that didn't work. Next I laid flat on my back and her assistant applied pressure, and that was unsuccessful, so back to hands and knees. (At least this is the way I remember it!) Then my mw was thankfully able to reach her arm all the way in and get a grasp on one of his little hands and pull it up and out of me to decrease the overall diameter of his body inside. Then she had to manually rotate him 180 degrees to free the shoulder and he was out. He was quite lifeless looking when he finally came out but perked up quite quickly after my mw gave him oxygen.

I pray that you have a smooth delivery with no SD this time!

Last edited by dolphingirl; 12-05-2012 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Edited to add that I had no tearing but this was my 6th baby so things were pretty well stretched already! :-)
dolphingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #15
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl View Post
I was on hands and knees already when my midwife realized it was a shoulder dystocia situation. She had me put one foot up closer towards my head, like a runner's stance. That didn't work. Then I laid on my back with knees way up by my ears, and that didn't work. Next I laid flat on my back and her assistant applied pressure, and that was unsuccessful, so back to hands and knees. (At least this is the way I remember it!) Then my mw was thankfully able to reach her arm all the way in and get a grasp on one of his little hands and pull it up and out of me to decrease the overall diameter of his body inside. Then she had to manually rotate him 180 degrees to free the shoulder and he was out. He was quite lifeless looking when he finally came out but perked up quite quickly after my mw gave him oxygen.

I pray that you have a smooth delivery with no SD this time!
was he a large baby?
Old 12-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #16
Lostand
Registered Users
seller

I'm so glad my son made it with no injuries. He was stuck for 5 minutes. After trying switching positions the mw eventually had to reach in and pull him out. I tore so badly from that!! They had already lost the heart beat while he was stuck. It took them one minute to get him breathing. All the research I did when I was pregnant I never thought to research positions to help with sd!!
Lostand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:33 AM   #17
dolphingirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
was he a large baby?
Yes, he was 10 lbs. 2 oz. Although, I've also had a 9 lb. 15 oz. baby and that was such a super smooth delivery!! My baby's sizes have varied quite a bit, although my newest little guy has been my biggest.
dolphingirl is offline   Reply With Quote