Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
hohaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thinking about it

My DD is 4 and is supp to start K next yr. I've gone back and forth on whether to homeschool or not. I work 32 hrs outside the home and usually get home around 1pm each day. How much time must you set aside each day for it? Would I even have time to do it?

Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thinking about it

We are doing Kindergarten with DS this year and spend 60-90 minutes a day on sitting down and doing school stuff. We use My Father's World and that is the amount of time they say it will take for the Kindergarten lessons every day. Some days we spend less time because he has really grasped the concepts and other times it takes a bit longer because he wants to learn more about something.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Kindergarten for us takes maybe an hour. We only do reading/phonics and math. A couple of my kids have done handwriting, as well, but because they ask to do it.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For us K took at least 1.5 hrs most days. That is because my son is very distractable and hard to focus. It should take 1-1.5 hrs. So, keep in mind your child's personality. But, I think K would be doable even working as much as you are.

ETA - That was just reading/phonics and math and sometimes science too.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
hohaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks a bunch! Sounds like it'll be very doable for us! Any suggestions on cirriculum? What's good for K? I don't know anything about homeschooling so any advice would be MUCH appreciated!
Old 10-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Sing, Spell, Read, and Write and Math-U-See. SSRW is a little pricey, but worth it. Actually, I don't know how it compares to other curriculums price-wise. I just know it's an awesome program. If your LO already knows basic phonics sounds and recognizes the letters, you could go right into level 1, which is geared to take two years. The price is a little easier to handle when you know that.

Oh, both of those programs are good for kids who need something hands-on. SSRW works well for all learning styles, as it has a workbook, games, songs, and books.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I depends on if you want one that is religion based or not. We are using My Father's World an really enjoying it so far.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #8
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

That should definatly be doable for the first few years at least. K usually has pretty short days as far as HSers go. We use My Father's World and we really love it. Are you looking for a religious curric or not? Do you want a boxed set? You don't HAVE to have any curric for K, because you can easily homeschool on the cheap with stuff you already have and free online stuff. I would think though that if you were in a time crunch it would be nice for your lessons to be all planned out for you.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:33 AM   #9
hohaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
A religious one would be great but not necessary so My Father's World sounds neat. I was thinking I prolly could get away with using cheaper stuff but structure for me would be good and having lesson plans already made would be one less thing that I have to worry about, which is great working FT and having to take care of her 2 younger sisters too.

She already knows all her letters, colors, shapes, numbers, and some phonics too. Right now we are working on writing letters, numbers, and her name. She is one that can get easily frustrated when she doesn't get it right on the first try, but she also catches on quickly.

I asked her yesterday if she wanted to stay home with mommy for school and she told me no. She said she wanted to go to school and then proceeded to worry that kids wouldn't like her, which made me sad to think kids might be mean to her. Wish I could keep a bubble around her!
Old 10-23-2012, 06:27 AM   #10
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

I teach MFW K to my son and it takes around an hour. On the days we do crafts it's more like 90 minutes because I do crafts with 3 of the kids (I include them in Science and the beginnings too).
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote