View Poll Results: Do you "snoop" on your tween/teen?
always- it's necessary because I don't trust my child 1 4.00%
always- I want to make sure I can trust my child 9 36.00%
occasionally if I feel there is a need 13 52.00%
I would NEVER violate their privacy! 2 8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you "snoop" on your tween/teen?

i voted that i would never only because i have not felt the need to do it. i would do it if i felt it necessary but i dont

Advertisement

Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
mjg2043
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My oldest is 8 but I am high school administrator. I will SO be checking and encourage others to. Social media has taken sexual activity and bullying to a whole other level. Privacy? Forget it. My kids live in my house and I will intervene as I see fit. I think parents who are not checking at least occasionally are very naive to how bad it can get.

I also suggest checking all devices with cameras. I have seen some scandalous pics of the seemingly nicest kiddos - including photos of a young man and his very undressed "date" in a local hotel room.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #13
earthflower
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I always read my dds texts, not her email and she is not on facebook. I just go through her cell phone about once a week, she doesn't care... yet. Its not her I don't trust, its her half sister texting her that I have to watch out for because she bullies and is mean. I guess if dd had a serious bf, it would be embarrassing to her that her mom would be reading stuff that was personal but she doesn't so I may rethink about looking at her cell phone when the time comes!
earthflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #14
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My kids are still young, but I taught my BIL how to check his cell bill for info on his daughter's texting. And had no problem doing it. She was in middle school, getting in trouble for not paying attention and falling asleep in class, not getting homework done, etc. Once I dug through their bill online, I found it she was sending/receiving up to 400 messages a day until as late as 2am on school nights, all through the school day, etc. No wonder she wasn't paying attention and couldn't stay awake. She's a good kid and wasn't getting into trouble, she just wasn't being responsible. Her dad was of the attitude that he shouldn't "invade her privacy", but clearly, he needed to keep closer tabs on what she was doing. FWIW, she knows I helped her dad with that and we're still very close, so she wasn't too upset with me.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #15
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg2043
My oldest is 8 but I am high school administrator. I will SO be checking and encourage others to. Social media has taken sexual activity and bullying to a whole other level. Privacy? Forget it. My kids live in my house and I will intervene as I see fit. I think parents who are not checking at least occasionally are very naive to how bad it can get.

I also suggest checking all devices with cameras. I have seen some scandalous pics of the seemingly nicest kiddos - including photos of a young man and his very undressed "date" in a local hotel room.
This. DH is a police officer and I was till kids came along. If you wait until you have reason to look into things, it's usually too late. You missed the signs a problem was brewing. DS is young now, but will be informed we can check any device he has, his room, etc. it won't be done in secret, there will be open communication that checking up will occur.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #16
Icryinbaseball
Registered Users

I am the only one who has the password to my daughter's email and FB. My husband doesnt even know it. She hasnt used either for at least 6 months, but if she is on there then I see it. There are no cell phones allowed unless you can legally work and can afford it.
Icryinbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #17
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

I dont want to, but we will see what happens when baby is older.

I didnt with our teen foster kids but i wish i had. When packing up his things after he left we found some things that were not ok
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #18
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

I voted "only if there is a need" but I would have to highly suspect something in order to violate his privacy like that. While he is still living in our house, I insist on being friends with him on Facebook and being able to see everything he posts on his wall, but messages between him and his other friends are private to him. Yes, I want to trust him, but I don't think that equals violating privacy. I wouldn't trust someone who did that to me, so how can I in turn expect him to trust me if I do that? Kwim? Not every child is a deviant that is up to no good.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.

Last edited by somo_chickenlady; 10-22-2012 at 03:24 PM.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #19
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

I say "other" because I do trust her, but sometimes if she is like blowing up her phone with texts I will look to see what the deal was. I have access to her email and her FB account, I rarely check those cause I limit her internet usage anyway. I trust HER not all her friends though

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #20
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Yes, I will snoop from time to time. I will say there are some specific circumstances involved with her
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote