Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
blackbirdmama*3's Avatar
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NE Oklahoma
Posts: 3,514
My Mood:
book recs for my almost 8 year old

My ds2 is just starting to read on his own and I need some recommendations on books he can mostly read himself. He does have difficulty with books like The Magic Treehouse so those I still mostly read to him. He is bored with the super easy books though so I guess he is in between. He loves books and wants to read by himself so bad but we haven't really found anything on his level that he is interested in. He has a really hard time retaining information and always hated trying to read until now so I want to help him stay excited to read and not let him get frustrated. Any suggestions? He loves anything dinosaur, knight, ninja, farm related.

Advertisement

__________________
blackbirdmama*3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
Suzi
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,179
My Mood:
Re: book recs for my almost 8 year old

My ds likes comics because even if he can't figure out all the words he can still get the jist of the story. We are stuck at that same stage. He likes reading reviews about video games online.
__________________
Suzi, working mama to my ODS(2004) , YDS(2006), DSD(2004) and married to the love of my life
Suzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
earthflower's Avatar
earthflower
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Murphys, Ca
Posts: 2,468
My Mood:
Re: book recs for my almost 8 year old

Alvin Ho: Allergic to Camping, Hiking, and Other Natural Disasters
By Lenore Look

Yummy: Eight Favorite Fairy Tales
By Lucy Cousins

Boxcar Children Series

James and the Giant Peach

Andrew Lost series by J. C. Greenburg

Ready Freddy books by Abby Klein

Diary of a Wimpy Kid series

Captain Underpants series (and others by Dave Pilkey, if you can stand it)

Jigsaw Jones and Horrible Harry

Its Charlotte's Web's 60th birthday

Try audio books ( my son likes the Hardy Boys on tape)
earthflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Geckmumto3's Avatar
Geckmumto3
Registered Users
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: S. Ontario
Posts: 5,172
My Mood:
Re: book recs for my almost 8 year old

Is he into Lego? My DS is 7, and will read the big Lego encyclopedias. The entries are short and he doesn't mind not knowing all the words. There are also quite a few emergent readers in the Lego/Ninjago vein which can appeal to boys of this age group.
__________________
Kat ~ Mum to G (11), D (9) and O (7)
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,873
My Mood:
Re: book recs for my almost 8 year old

You can search online for "high interest" books for boys. You can download free audio books for your MP3 and he can read along. Our library has little individual digital books we can borrow maybe you do to? Our son was a very reluctant reader and now at 9 we are finally getting somewhere. The audio plus visual together may make his recall better.
__________________
Just in case.
MDever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #6
blackbirdmama*3's Avatar
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NE Oklahoma
Posts: 3,514
My Mood:
Re: book recs for my almost 8 year old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
My ds likes comics because even if he can't figure out all the words he can still get the jist of the story. We are stuck at that same stage. He likes reading reviews about video games online.
Thank you, I will look into getting him some comics. Do you have any suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthflower View Post
Alvin Ho: Allergic to Camping, Hiking, and Other Natural Disasters
By Lenore Look

Yummy: Eight Favorite Fairy Tales
By Lucy Cousins

Boxcar Children Series

James and the Giant Peach

Andrew Lost series by J. C. Greenburg

Ready Freddy books by Abby Klein

Diary of a Wimpy Kid series

Captain Underpants series (and others by Dave Pilkey, if you can stand it)

Jigsaw Jones and Horrible Harry

Its Charlotte's Web's 60th birthday

Try audio books ( my son likes the Hardy Boys on tape)
Thanks! I will check these out and I totally didn't think about audiobooks. My ods loves Diary of a Wimpy Kid and he reads those to ds2 several times a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3 View Post
Is he into Lego? My DS is 7, and will read the big Lego encyclopedias. The entries are short and he doesn't mind not knowing all the words. There are also quite a few emergent readers in the Lego/Ninjago vein which can appeal to boys of this age group.
He loves Lego, I will look at the encyclopedias. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever View Post
You can search online for "high interest" books for boys. You can download free audio books for your MP3 and he can read along. Our library has little individual digital books we can borrow maybe you do to? Our son was a very reluctant reader and now at 9 we are finally getting somewhere. The audio plus visual together may make his recall better.
Thank you! He has an ipod touch. Do you know of any to download to it? I will also check at our library for digital books as well. I think the audio plus visual will really help him.

Thanks everyone! I guess I should mention he has been diagnosed with significant ADD and mild OCD. It is extremely hard for him to focus on a topic that doesn't really interest him. He makes all A's in school so I know he is capable it is just a lot of hard work for him to get there. He gets very anxious if he makes a bad grade so he works really hard. I really appreciate all of the suggestions and if there are any more keep them coming!
__________________
blackbirdmama*3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:59 PM   #7
Hungry Caterpillar's Avatar
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,246
Could you do a mama son book club and read more advanced books in ten ish page sections and then discuss them? I read the hobbit and lord of the rings at around this age with my mom and it's a great memory for both of us.
__________________
Andrea
Mama to B and E, Wife to E
Parenting with Hugs and Terror since 2011
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:25 AM   #8
MN Mama to 3's Avatar
MN Mama to 3
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 129
My Mood:
My son actually loved to read the Junie B jones books when he was just starting out. I know they're typically not marketed to boys, but they were a quick, light read and funny enough to make him laugh out loud.
MN Mama to 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
NYCVeg
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 205
Re: book recs for my almost 8 year old

Sideways Stories from Wayside School

A to Z Mysteries

Encyclopedia Brown books

some of the "skinnier" Roald Dahl books--The Twits, Fantastic Mr. Fox, etc.

Bad Kitty series and Big Nate series (both of these are comic style)

My Weirder School series

Freckle Juice and The One in the Middle is the Green Kangaroo

Cam Jansen mysteries

We liked the first Alvin Ho book we read, but then we picked up Alvin Ho: Allergic to Birthday Parties, Science Projects, and Other Man-Made Catastrophes, and it had some truly horrible stereotypes of Native Americans throughout. I was pretty appalled, honestly.
NYCVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #10
hibiscus869's Avatar
hibiscus869
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,200
Ready Freddy is a cute series, a little easier than Magic Treehouse.
hibiscus869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.