Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
earthflower
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My 4 year old has a chronic cough

Ds2 has been coughing like almost every night for awhile now, I took him to the doctor, his lungs and everything sound fine. Its not asthma and he is not sick other than the coughing. I think he mus have allergies? He is lactose intolerant, so no dairy. I am not sure how I should treat his cough when he wakes up every night or how to find out if he has allergies?

Advertisement

earthflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: My 4 year old has a chronic cough

I'm right there with you.

My DS did this last yr. He's all congested and he coughs at night a LOT. I took him to the doc and doc said "allergies". So I give him some children's Calritan before bed if I remember and if I don't, I wake up when I hear his coughing and I give him Delsym.

He gets one dose of either one a night, usually. Just to help ease the coughing. I don't give anything during the day for it b/c it's not as bad AND b/c I hate medicating for non-essential things.

Night time I do medicate b/c we have a small little house and his coughing wake everyone up, and makes him miserable. Poor kid.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Following this thread! My almost 4 year old also has a cough that won't go away. She's been seen by the doc twice, did a round of antibiotics just in case, and it's still here.

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have seasonal allergies and this is one of the ways it presents itself. DS also has it, but his results in nose bleeds. He is 5 and takes Children's claritin nightly.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonli View Post
I have seasonal allergies and this is one of the ways it presents itself. DS also has it, but his results in nose bleeds. He is 5 and takes Children's claritin nightly.
Weird! My DD gets unexplained nose bleeds often, too!

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

If your into chiropractic care, try that. About a year ago our DD had a chronic cough that went on for a couple of months. She has always responded well to chiropractic care, so I figured it was worth a shot. After ONE adjustment the cough was completely gone. That very afternoon her coughing ceased and didn't come back.

She had an ongoing cough again a couple of weeks ago, so we hauled her back to the chiro. The results weren't as dramatic. After one adjustment the coughing decreased and after 2 adjustments it was gone. I think, for her, she get sinus drainage and the adjustment opens it up and lets it all drain out and be gone.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
argecash
Registered Users

He might be allergic to dust mites. You could get an allergy cover for his mattress and pillows and make sure to wash the sheets a lot. Do you have a HEPA air filter in his room?
Old 10-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #8
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by argecash View Post
He might be allergic to dust mites. You could get an allergy cover for his mattress and pillows and make sure to wash the sheets a lot. Do you have a HEPA air filter in his room?
This reminds me. I read that the only way to effectively kill the junk in your sheets is to hang them to dry in the sun. Even washing on hot, or with bleach, or drying on high heat, doesn't kill them all. So if this is what you think it is, maybe try line drying the sheets?

We have a cover for DS's mattress. He still coughs. He's coughed since before we got it (last wk) and he's still coughing now. LOL So for us this wasn't the issue. But we don't have allergies in our families. If we did, I would pursue that further. KWIM?
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
This reminds me. I read that the only way to effectively kill the junk in your sheets is to hang them to dry in the sun. Even washing on hot, or with bleach, or drying on high heat, doesn't kill them all. So if this is what you think it is, maybe try line drying the sheets?
The problem with this is most people aren't just allergic to dust mites, they are often allergic to at least one pollen as well- which means line drying is a big no-no. Washing and/or drying at 130 F will remove dust mites and all bedding should be washed weekly at that temp. Things that can't washed can be frozen for 24-48 hours.

Since it is happening overnight it probably is dust mites. If there is carpet in the room it needs to be vacuumed often- recommendation is like twice a week, but we do ours everyday because we have dogs that also bring in and contribute to dust mites and pollen. Also suppose to remove any soft stuff that is not needed- ie stuffed animals.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #10
earthflower
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm going to try the chiro suggestion before I do allergy meds! Thank you all. this is helping me so much. He still sleeps w/ me at night so I will have to think about dust mites.
earthflower is offline   Reply With Quote