Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-22-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
omahonycm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Back vs Belly sleeping - advice needed.

Know that "Back is best" for babies to sleep. And I only ever put my first daughter to sleep on her back, swaddled. But my new baby is very much a belly baby. She likes to be held on with her belly to your body, and always relaxes/falls asleep belly to belly after nursing at night, then I put her back in the co sleeper.

About a week ago I tried putting her on her belly for a nap. (in desperation). It worked amazingly. She slept 2 hours and twice woke up a little and then went back to sleep on her own. If I lay her down on her back she wakes up either immediately or in 5 minutes and it becomes an hour process to get her to sleep.

I am stuck between fear of SIDS and what obviously works for her.

My husband and conscience tell me to struggle through and keep her on her back. But my heart says belly.

She's 5 weeks old, 10+ lbs, can turn her head from side to side and lift it up / hold it up.

What would you do?

Advertisement

Marie - Living my dreams! Mama to a bright and busy big girl, a sweet little toddler girl and expecting a surprise in November! If I'm not with my daughters, then I'm or doing or spending time with the husband or... what else? here on DS!
omahonycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Back vs Belly sleeping - advice needed.

Both my girls slept on the bellies. I am a belly sleeper, and have been since day one. My son didn't really care how he was placed.

For us, it came down to either they lay on their belly or they don't really sleep.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:

I'd put her on her belly if she had no other risk factors for SIDS (no smoking around her, breastfed, etc), and I'd have a fan going in her room. That's what we do. A well rested baby is healthier than a baby that's not sleeping.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
oneduckstuck5
Registered Users

I have 6 and every one of them has been a tummy sleeper. I sleep them on their sides the first 2 weeks or so and than sleep them on tummies after that. I just watch them and make sure they can breathe okay. I'm not sure that sleeping on tummies increases the risk for sids but that's just my opinion. It's hard not to worry about it though when they push it so much. Mine sleep so much better that way though and therefore so do I!

I actually had one that would always push her face up against something...blanket, side of crib, etc. It freaked me out but she wanted something touching her face. She's now 6 so she lived to tell about it.

Mom to:
ds14, dd11, ds8, dd7, dd 2, & ds 1 (2nd reversal baby)' expecting #7 April 2014
oneduckstuck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingMercy View Post
I'd put her on her belly if she had no other risk factors for SIDS (no smoking around her, breastfed, etc), and I'd have a fan going in her room. That's what we do. A well rested baby is healthier than a baby that's not sleeping.
yup this.

And what PPs said.

SIDS is an UNEXPLAINED death. A suffocation death is NOT SIDS.

Check out the risk factors for SIDS. The risk for babies in households that have no smokers, that are BFing, and sleeping in safe places with no squishy bedding, is really low.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
jcarter
Registered Users
seller

I had lots of plans for my baby before she was born. But then she was born, 3 weeks early. And she was tiny. She was placed on her tummy in the NICU for the first 2.5 weeks of her life, and when we got her home that's how she wanted to sleep. So I went with it. She is 6 months old now and tries to avoid sleep by rolling over onto her back. She just won't sleep that way.
jcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 10 day old baby is much happier on his belly. I've been doing it. He has no other risk factors. I try to put him on his back at night when I know he is going to sleep a little longer and I'm going to be asleep. But, other than that, I tend to put him on his belly. And, even at night, if he keeps waking back up when I put him down, I switch and put him on his belly.

I worry about it, but I have to do what works for him. I've done this with all my 5 previous babies. Try their back first, but it hasn't worked for all my babies. My first, I never even considered trying his belly. He probably would have been a much happier baby and I would have been a happier mom if I had.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

we belly sleep and use an angelcare monitor for peace of mind
Old 10-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
Hopefulily
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zandj
we belly sleep and use an angelcare monitor for peace of mind
This.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
Old 10-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #10
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

All three of mine slept on their bellies. They just would not sleep on their backs for more than about 5 minutes at a time. I agree with pps, if you have no sids risk factors, I would put your DD on her belly. Then maybe you and her can get some rest.

ETA: I tend to take recommendations like "back is best" with a grain of salt. When my grandma was raising her babies, they HAD to be only their bellies. That's what all the recommendations said, because if you left them on their back they would surely choke on spit up. And it wasn't all that long ago they were recommending side sleeping. Now that's a big no-no. Do what works for you and your LO.

Last edited by jen_batten; 10-22-2012 at 07:45 PM.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote