Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-11-2007, 01:33 PM   #11
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Membrane stripping - is it worth it?

I was at 2 cm consistently for 3 weeks. At 1 day overdue, the doc stripped the membranes. No warning beforehand, and it hurt much worse than any exam or pap I've ever had. The end result for me was my fluid started leaking out the next day, with no contractions. Followed by induction, 20 miserable hours on my back with constant monitoring, episiotomy, forceps, and almost, a C-section. Healthy baby, but miserable experience.

Everybody is different, and if you've progressed farther than I was, it might be worth it. I know I'll never allow it again.

Advertisement

Last edited by ceilismom; 05-11-2007 at 01:35 PM. Reason: added
ceilismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:40 PM   #12
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They did it with me on DS1 and it didn't work! It didn't hurt tho...and if I ever try a vaginal delivery again, I would let them give it another go!
png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:50 PM   #13
yogimama
Registered Users

I went into labor within 48 hours of being "stripped", but I was already 41 weeks and 2 days! I think the pain has more to do with how gentle your practioner is, but that's my opinion. I felt very little, during or after, - I've had worse pap smears! Because of the risks of water breaking, it's something I wouldn't do before 41 weeks, personally, but then, I had a horrendous induction with my first, and only the threat of being back in the hosipital for another induction made it worth it for me (my midwives would only deliver at the birth center up to 42 weeks). I delivered my second at 41 weeks, 4 days! If I get to 41 weeks next time, I'd do it again.
yogimama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:58 PM   #14
ustasmom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyto5girls View Post
Oh and just as a rule of thumb...

First babies come slow
Second babies come FAST
and third babies are unpredictable

I wonder why there's no info on fourth of fifth babies! Maybe because they fly out!

HA! Good Luck either way!

Erin
Actually, L&D gets harder after a certain number of babies. Granted, Baby #6 flew out, but Baby #7 was stubborn. I will be 38 weeks on Sunday and my body has had hardly any Braxton Hicks and I am not dilated in the least.
ustasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:25 PM   #15
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyto5girls View Post

First babies come slow
This is not how it happened for me, I was only in labor a couple hours with ds 1 and pushed less than 30mins (maybe 10-15mins) before he was born.

To the OP...I know of ppl that have had it done, and it works on some right away (within a couple days,t ops)and than I know a couple of ppl that had it done a 2nd time and it still did not work.

Good luck in whatever you do and hoping to hear about a new baby soon
Old 05-11-2007, 04:31 PM   #16
rebeccah5
Behold: The Official Thread-Killer
seller

My Mood:

When I recall having it done, I get that creepy tooth-gritting chills sensation that lots of people associate with fingernails on a chalkboard. Not exactly painful or unpleasant, just... weird. I had it done with DS when I was about 39 wks, but I was already pretty thinned out, etc., and the dr. scheduled me to be induced the following morning (we have a pretty decent drive to our hospital). It did cause some pretty strong cramping & contractions, but nothing regularly spaced. The next morning I got to the hospital at 7, and DS was born at 11:40. I dont know that it made a major difference, but maybe it did.
Check out my knitting projects here and my stash here
rebeccah5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:35 PM   #17
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It worked better than the Pitocin & Cytotec did w/ #5 around 1-2cm & soft but didn't work w/ #3 when I was 1cm. If they know how to do it than I would say it's worth it, if not don't bother. LOL
Old 09-26-2007, 05:53 AM   #18
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just reading along...
I am 38w3d today and my midwife stripped mine yesterday... I was 1cm and "very thin" and baby is "very low". She said when she was done, I was a good 1-2cm... and to expect some spotting and cramping...but I've had no spotting or cramping now almost 20 hour later...

So I'm still just waiting...

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:54 AM   #19
Jessica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had mine done at 38 weeks, and I had all the bad things happen to me!
My water was leaking and the Dr's ignored that, I got a bacteria infection, and ended up with a maternal temp! I also was in labour for 3 days!! I had my baby 2 weeks early he was 8lbs, which is why they stripped the membranes cause he was already big.. but for me, next time around Im going to let nature take its course.. just too many complications that happened and a really really hard labour. I hope this dosent scare you just sharing my story!
Old 09-26-2007, 06:59 AM   #20
FinnegansMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had mine stripped 3 times from 38-41 weeks and still was induced (due to hig BP at the end). Ugh. I was 2 cm dilated for 5 weeks... It hurts a little, I bled and cramped, but that kiddo wasn't going anywhere!