Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-26-2007, 07:02 AM   #21
Monzie
Registered Users

Re: Membrane stripping - is it worth it?

My midwife attempted it last week, about three days before my EDD, but my cervix was still very posterior so she couldn't reach in far enough to do the job.

Yesterday, at 5 days past my due date, my cervix was midline, soft, more than 50% effaced, and fingertip-width dilated. So she was able to do a successful sweep this time around. It wasn't painful, just a little bit of strange pressure followed by some minor crampy discomfort. Afterwards, I had a bunch of errands to run and I walked around Petsmart, Target, and the grocery store while having some major contractions. With my big ol' belly and all the "deep cleansing breaths" I needed to do, I was definitely getting concerned looks from people at the store.

Anyway. No baby here yet. And my contractions subsided when I got home and lay down to relieve my sore feet and lower back.

Advertisement

Monzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:10 AM   #22
mammamo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had it done...twice...at 38 and 39 week appts. didn't do a darn thing, I was almost 3 to begin with.

Good luck!

www.greenplanetbaby.com

mammamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:01 AM   #23
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The only time I've had it done was with my third baby. I went in for my 38wk appt and was a very stretchy 4cm, 75% effaced. It didn't hurt at all for me, but I'd had so much other discomfort down there by that point with all the contractions and pressure I'd been having that I don't think it would've made a difference. That was on a Tues afternoon and I went into labor at 3am Fri morning. My water did not break until I started pushing. In hindsight? I probably would not have done it - I was GBS positive.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:04 AM   #24
1boy1girl1bitty2
Registered Users
seller

i had it done at 10 days overdue and went into labour that night. i am hoping that if my cervix is favorable that my ob will do it at todays appt. i am 38.5 weeks and the baby is starting to feel huge (last babe was 11 pounds) my pelvic bone feels bruised and i can barely walk, or sit or lay down without pain
Old 09-26-2007, 08:09 AM   #25
luvmy2girls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had mine stripped 3 times w/DD2 and nothing happened. I was also already dilated. I think they say if your body is ready, it will speed up the process and if it's not ready, nothing will happen. GL mama!!