Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2012, 07:40 AM   #1
IndoorKitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Did I buy the wrong crib mattress?

Did I make a mattress mistake?

About a month ago, we were visiting family and were near an Ikea, so we went ahead and bought the crib and mattress. I didn't really notice at the time, but the mattress is only about four inched thick. Is this going to be a problem for finding sheets?

I think it will be plenty comfy for baby, and I like that it's not covered in vinyl. I wanted to use Zipsheets though, which isn't going to work. Plus, we are going to take the side off the crib and use it for a toddler bed once baby gets bigger. It might not be thick enough for a toddler.

Should I return the Ikea mattress and buy something else? If so, what? I'm not willing to spend the $$$ for an organic, all natural mattress. I'd rather not have a vinyl cover. They stink, and I'm going to get a waterproof dust mite encasement anyway. Am I overthinking this?

Advertisement

The remodel isn't going well.
IndoorKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
Angel89411
Banned

I will say that the mattress issues made me so sick to my stomach that we just decided not to bother. Happy bed sharers here.

But seeing as that isn't everybody's jive, I think you are over thinking it. A twin mattress is 6" thick and DS1's crib mattress certainly wasn't that thick. Isn't 4 inches normal?
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
IndoorKitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Did I buy the wrong crib mattress?

All the crib sheets say 6". 8" is standard mattress thickness.

We can't co-sleep. I once rolled over on the cat. The sound of him digging his way out from under me woke up my husband. DH said there was no desperate meowing. Just the scrambley grunting noises of a cat trying to get free. While I'm sure I'll be a less sound sleeper with a LO, I just don't want to risk it.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
Janelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My girls sleep on IKEA foam mattresses, and they are 4" thick. I use regular twin size sheets and they are on there fine, nice and snug.
My girls are 9 and 7, so I know that is different than a baby, but they are very comfy on their beds.
You can always get the IKEA sheets just to be sure they fit perfectly, if you don't live near an IKEA, have some family or friend ship them to you..but I do like how their crib mattresses are not plasticy..I am getting ready to buy a crib mattress for my 3 yo to use in a toddler bed.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

I think it would be fine.

We have 3 mattresses from IKEA. They are thinner than normal. We have two twins, and one queen.

We're happy with them all, and even though they are definitely thinner than standard, all our sheets still fit and I didn't buy most of them at IKEA.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

I planned to get that one but ikea was sold out of the 2 cheapest ones so I was forced to upgrade or have no bed for baby who is coming any day. Only 2 left at this price I risked the price doubling and took this one, darn.

Bought the ikea sheets I paid 2 for 9 euro, I believe its about 2 for 10 in the us too.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
IndoorKitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenajean1 View Post
I planned to get that one but ikea was sold out of the 2 cheapest ones so I was forced to upgrade or have no bed for baby who is coming any day. Only 2 left at this price I risked the price doubling and took this one, darn.
Don't know if you ever watch 30 Rock, but there's an episode that is partially set in Ikea. In the background of the scene there's a sign that says "Everything you came here to get is temporarily out of stock."

Anyway, thanks everyone. I feel much better and now I can freak out about something else.