Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #11
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: FYI - Not All Yogurt is Yogurt!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookglen View Post
I don't understand the point of putting M&Ms or crushed up Reese's on top of sugary vanilla yogurt which is meant to be a healthy snack. A)not even remotely healthy and b) gross.
LOL - my favorite breakfast in college was chocolate frozen yogurt with fruit loops

You're right, though: I think cream-top whole milk yogurt is amazingly tasty by itself, I don't know why people need to have "cotton candy" flavored "yogurt."

Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

We only eat homemade yogurt. And we make it plain, no sugar, no vanilla. The boys will sometimes ask for "sparkles" in it, which is a teaspoon of 100% fruit puree. No package reading required.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

We make homemade yogurt, as well. I strain it and make it thick like plain greek yogurt. We eat it with a small amount of fresh fruit, fruit preserves, or honey.
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #14
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

well, if it's not vanilla or fruit flavored, I can't eat it. I tried to eat the plain stuff and it's gross. I don't like it at all. Not going to pretend I do.

I do draw the line at 'kids yogurts', because I don't see the point in cottoncandy flavored yogurt when my child will eat fruit and yogurt just fine. I used to buy my husband the ones with candies on the tops that he would eat as snacks and I think they're just fine as well. He was eating them as a snack.. not as some meal replacement 'I think I'm so healthy' type of thing. They're snack foods.

DD gets greek yogurt, I eat normal yogurt (vanilla or with fruit) because greek yogurt is horribly bitter to me. But she doesn't know that, so she gets it.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #15
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiiki View Post
Too true. I also hate packaging that makes food sound special when it's not - like "Popcorn: Made with WHOLE GRAIN!!!" or "Apple Juice: Naturally FAT FREE!!!"
Old 10-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #16
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Love this thread, I, too, prefer plain greek yogurt. I like the 2% kind better than the fat free kind, and I think healthy fats are good in moderation. Most yogurt these days has more sugar than a candy bar! OR artificial sweeteners which IMO are worse than sugar. I do plain greek and then dress it up with powdered peanut butter or pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon. YUM! I put raspberries in it for my sons, sometimes as a special treat they can have a little cocoa powder and raspberries with their yogurt.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #17
soonerfan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Personally, I only allow yogurt made from the milk of free range, barn free, anti-antibiotic, golden grass (ripened in part sun) fed, hand-expressed (machines? yuck!) by magical fairies, pure, Holstein sacred cows from the Elite bloodline. I will only buy it if it is processed after the Solstice (because otherwise, there are some allergens in the air that I would NEVER allow to come into contact with my food!!).

I feed it to my precious little ones with a non-chemical imparting golden spoon that I only wash in tea tree oil and fresh spring water. I'd never add anything to the yogurt, other than fresh picked, in season, organic, gently sliced, fruit. Never, EVER, fruit preserves!?! *Shudder*

Do I win the Best Mommy snack war?

Last edited by soonerfan; 10-23-2012 at 04:57 PM.
soonerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #18
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan
Personally, I only allow yogurt made from the milk of free range, barn free, anti-antibiotic, golden grass (ripened in part sun) fed, hand-expressed (machines? yuck!) by magical fairies, pure, Holstein sacred cows from the Elite bloodline. I will only buy it if it is processed after the Solstice (because otherwise, there are some allergens in the air that I would NEVER allow to come into contact with my food!!).

I feed it to my precious little ones with a non-chemical imparting golden spoon that I only wash in tea tree oil and fresh spring water. I'd never add anything to the yogurt, other than fresh picked, in season, organic, gently sliced, fruit. Never, EVER, fruit preserves!?! *Shudder*

mommy24babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #19
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookglen View Post
100% plain greek yogurt is all we keep in our house.

I don't understand the point of putting M&Ms or crushed up Reese's on top of sugary vanilla yogurt which is meant to be a healthy snack. A)not even remotely healthy and b) gross.
I was watching Extreme Couponing on Netflix and a lady got so many of the yogurts with M&M tops (and oreos too I believe). My thought on that is like it's basically a yogurt blizzard, not really a healthy snack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan View Post

Sounds yum, do you also get to fart rainbows after that?

The bolded I thought said pickle at first
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #20
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiiki View Post
Too true. I also hate packaging that makes food sound special when it's not - like "Popcorn: Made with WHOLE GRAIN!!!" or "Apple Juice: Naturally FAT FREE!!!"
Yep, that kills me. It scares me that they think that people are that dumb as to fall for stuff like that. "Hey mom, we should get this apple juice, it's fat free!"I get the average person is not reading the labels, but to just put health buzz words on them to drum up sales is insulting.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote