Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-24-2012, 08:51 AM   #11
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Reading

You can usually buy it at Half Price books for under $6 so I would check there first. I have never used it but I use Funnix which is by the same group and from what I understand a very similar program just computer based. Funnix has 120 lessons in the basic program and then a second program for comprehension. So far it has worked well with both of my boys.

Advertisement

iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #12
need some diaps!
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
You can usually buy it at Half Price books for under $6 so I would check there first. I have never used it but I use Funnix which is by the same group and from what I understand a very similar program just computer based. Funnix has 120 lessons in the basic program and then a second program for comprehension. So far it has worked well with both of my boys.
I actually like the idea of using the computer as we are limited on space and he really enjoys "playtime" on the computer. I am trying to find something very step by step and structured as what we were trying before doesn't seem to be working for either of us! Could you fill me in on a few things...cost, app. how much time daily, anything else you find important or exciting!! Thank you
need some diaps! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #13
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by need some diaps! View Post
I actually like the idea of using the computer as we are limited on space and he really enjoys "playtime" on the computer. I am trying to find something very step by step and structured as what we were trying before doesn't seem to be working for either of us! Could you fill me in on a few things...cost, app. how much time daily, anything else you find important or exciting!! Thank you
I downloaded Funnix free during one of the free offers that come up once a year (I think it was in February and they seem to do it once a year) but the program runs $38 to just buy right now. You can either download it and print the teacher book (I never bothered with it), work book and reading book or you can pay extra to have them send you the actual work book and reader in hard copy. There is a little placement test you can use to decide where to start your child on the program but I went ahead and started both of my boys at the beginning. Each lesson is designed to last roughly 20-30minutes and Kearnan never took longer than that. He started them when he was able to read but he wasn't a strong reader. I had him to 2 lessons a day through the basic lessons and then 1 a day for Funnix 2 because he needed the comprehension help. I've used Funnix from the beginning with Tharen so this has been his learning to read. He knew the letters starting out but not all of the letter sounds. Funnix does start out with letter sounds and some people feel it is slow or redundant. I did not. I feel that it is thorough. There is a worksheet that goes with each lesson and the child completes it along with the computer.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #14
tinytushi
Registered Users
seller

I tried it with all 3 of my kids and the result was they were bored, did not catch on and has taken a long time to get them interested in reading again because they looked at reading as punishment. BUT all of my kids are learning disabled.
tinytushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #15
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieJack View Post
We have both the Reading lessons and Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons and er prefer The Reading Lessons by far, in fact we LOVE it! It is a lot like Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons. It's basically a simplified version.
I think it was upon your recommendation that I looked at The Reading Lesson. I'm vertigo happy with it. Thanks!
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #16
waldorf and ragamuffins
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibeca View Post
We checked the book out from our library. I tried reading the book and found it too dry to even read. I never tried it with DD for that reason. I knew she wouldn't go for it.

We opted for a phonics curriculum through Horizons and she has begun sounding words out on her own. She already knew her letters and sounds, I just couldn't figure out how to get her to see how they came together. We've only done a few units with the curriculum and see drastic improvement.

...sigh.... I also thought it was a bit dry and hard to make teachable to my 1st reader. I thought it would be the be all end all. eh.
waldorf and ragamuffins is offline   Reply With Quote