Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
SugarBooger
Registered Users
Formerly: hooah_momma
seller
seller

My Mood:
Gluten-Free and Behavior -- Anyone with Experience?

I've got my 3-year-old on a gluten-free and casein-free diet to see if it affects his behavior. He as always been difficult and "different" to me, and we have always suspected mild aspergers, or a sensory-processing disorder.

We've been doing it very strictly for a week to see if there are any changes.

He used to cry at the drop of a pin, for anything, and he would pass out every time he cried. He would usually pass out 2 or 3 times a day. He has not passed out once during this diet...until today. :/

I can't tell whether I'm imagining that he is better without gluten, or if he really has improved. I haven't taken note of his stool yet, bu has ALWAYS complained of stomach aches and he has always had VERY loose stools, almost diarrhea. When he was a baby, he refused to take breast milk or cows milk formula, and the ped put him on soy.

His current ped told me he is jealous of his younger siblings when I described his sensory issues and these issues. But I think it lines up with a gluten intolerance.

Anyone with experience? Has anyone seen a change in their child's behavior after taking out gluten and/or casein? TIA!

Advertisement

SugarBooger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Gluten-Free and Behavior -- Anyone with Experience?

I tried a very strict elimination diet with my boys, it did nothing. I did discover that my oldest reacts to dyes (makes him itch all over and get whiny though he may always be whiny cause elminating the dye didn't change that as much as I thought). The catch with elimination diets of any kind is that to prevent a placebo effect you really need to do behavioral charting for at least 2 weeks before you start the diet, do the diet for at least two weeks (it takes at least a week for many foods to be out of your child's system) and then start adding back in foods and chart to see what reactions if any you get. With my boys on two weeks of eating just rice, meat and a few fruits and veggies (even many of these were limited) there was no change in their behaviors. One of my boys is ASD, the other is bipolar and ADHD.
iris0110 is online now   Reply With Quote