Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Did timing contractions help?

All of my births have been unassisted homebirths, and I didn't time my contractions other than very early on to determine that there was a pattern...

Anyways, I am wondering if timing them during transition and closer to birth, would be helpful...Did you feel it was helpful? I was thinking it would, at the very least, give me something to focus on.

ETA: I meant the duration not the in between.

Advertisement

Last edited by paper_girl_76; 10-23-2012 at 02:33 PM.
paper_girl_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Did timing contractions help?

I found it annoying and it made me more anxious.

I did time them in the beginning part of labor, where I wasn't sure labor was starting or not... they were always 15-20 mins apart in early labor, and that would last all day, usually. I tend to have a long first stage and then a super fast transition/second stage. So the one time I did try to time contrax during the hectic part, I just wound up irritated.

I enjoy natural birth and I'm pro-natural birth. But I personally am an impatient person, and I always want to hurry things up, no matter whether that's birth or a diaper change or a shower, I'm a "let's GO!" person. So looking at a timer, and counting minutes and thinking "the next one will come in 2 minutes" .... made me bonkers. LOL I might be weird tho.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
RachelFlores
Registered Users
seller
seller

My contractions are rarely regular and I sometime find it hard to tell when they start and stop especially later in labor. After I keep track and establish that "this" is it, I dont like to bother with it because I find it distracting. I could see how it could be a focus point though, it just hasnt worked that way for me.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was actually thinking of timing the actual contraction, so that I could look and say, "ok, almost over!" or whatever. I tend to get frantic towards the end and I was hoping this might help.

I don't think it would help to know how far apart they are.

Last edited by paper_girl_76; 10-23-2012 at 01:15 PM.
paper_girl_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
lovewool
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It worked for me. I had a natural water birth at the hospital. I waited until hypnobirthing recommended to go to the hospital by how far apart contractions were. (Because they say the longer you're in the hospital the more likely it is to have unnecessary interventions.) I was only in the hospital maybe 3 hours before I had my son.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
lovewool
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

oh rereading your post now. Never thought to time the contraction itself. I don't think I could with how painful they are! I just hang on and think happy thoughts about when it will end and look forward enjoying the next little break!
Old 10-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am not a timer myself. By the time I realize I am in labor it is darn near baby time! Do you have a fancy phone or Ipad? I understand there are some cool apps for this.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

If you are talking about timing how long they are, yes, for me it was absolutely helpful.

With DS (and it is weird to type that after 3 girls) who was born on the 12th, it was by far my most painful labor of the 4, and I had done 2 labors without pain meds, one was a pit induction. And my early contractions were 45 seconds to a minute long or longer. They REALLY hurt, so timing it knowing "all right, 30 seconds in, going to be coming down now" was easier to focus on than just breathing through it.
happysmileylady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever
I am not a timer myself. By the time I realize I am in labor it is darn near baby time! Do you have a fancy phone or Ipad? I understand there are some cool apps for this.
I downloaded an app for my iPhone. All I (or someone else) has to do is tap it when a contraction comes. The app dies the rest if I had to look at a watch and do it that way I'd go crazy!!
itiswhatitis1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #10
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never did. Mine have always been irregular both in how far apart and in how long they lasted. Timing just made me frustrated because it made it look like nothing was happening.

But, you do what works for you. Try timing them and see how it goes.