Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
GreyMum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Daycare and Food

If your child goes to daycare, does the daycare provide food? If you send in food (because that's their policy), do they then provide snacks as well?

So, my 21 month old goes to daycare 2X week. She is a very good eater! She doesn't eat everything I give her, and sometimes she is picky, but she ate kale sauteed in garlic and olive oil last night. She will eat plain steamed broccoli by holding the stalk and then eating the top first. There are tons of foods that I am so happy she eats! She does not really have sugary snacks. On occasion, she will have a home baked cookie or a few spoonfuls of ice cream (this is like very occasionally, once or twice a month, when we happen to have it in the house.)

I would never give her an oreo (processed, questionable ingredients, partially hydrogenated oils), sweet sugary cereal, yogurt with sugar (though I will mix in unsweetened/fruit juice sweetened jam), anything from a can (bpa). I don't view this as being strict with food. I see it as feeding her good, healthy, real foods. I'm pretty serious about all of this. I feel bad if I give her store bought bread with more than a handful of ingredients.

Sooo, at daycare, I have asked them not to give her canned fruit, which they started giving the kids at snack time. Fine, they have no problem wtih this. I tell them I will send in jarred peaches (which I get at TJ's because they are packed in Spain), because then it would be like she is having a similar snack to everyone else. (They grow, process and pack all of those canned fruits, snack cups and even the bottled/jarred ones in the refrigerator section in China, by the way.) This morning, I noticed some kind of rainbow colored cereal. I was like, oh, you give them colored cereal. One of the teachers was like, yeah, so and so picked it up this weekend as a change from their regular cereal. Their regular cereal is kix. Not that much better, but I do really try not to be a nutcase, and though I hate to see that on her daily sheet, I never complained about it.

But, this colored cereal is messing with me!! I guess they buy some foods to keep there to feed them because they must get some state funding. But, why do they have to buy this junk, and why do I have to be the complainer??? So, now I have to tell them, no colored cereal for my kid (which is basically me accusing them of making poor food choices, which they are, in my opinion) and my kid is potentially going to be upset because she doesn't get purple cereal when everyone else does. Uggh. (I know my problems could be a lot worse.)

So, wwyd?

Advertisement

GreyMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Daycare and Food

I would let it go. It's 2x a week or less - depending on how often they use that particular cereal.

Perhaps if it was an every day breakfast choice for them, I would get more concerned.

A little colored cereal isn't going to hurt her - especially if her diet otherwise is wholesome and healthy.

If you're dead set on saying something, you could ask them if they've read the studies about dye in food and have they noticed that the kids have more behavior issues on days when they get the froot loops (or whatever it is). You can ask honestly to see if they notice.

ETA: I do understand, I do. When one of my friends brought froot loops for her kids to snack on at playgroup and my child was nabbing some out of the bowl, it really bothered me - my precious child eating sugary cereal! I had never given that to her, I had no intention of giving that to her and I couldn't get her to come eat her own snack because she was set on eating that one. I couldn't very well draw attention to the issue since I didn't want to insult my friend.. and I realized.. it's 1 snack. She eats the healthy stuff I provide all the rest of the time. And it's really not a big deal.

Last edited by EmilytheStrange; 10-23-2012 at 02:11 PM.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
GreyMum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know you are right. I have to tell you, I love when you comment on my threads, because you consistently give good advice. And, your daughter is a little older than mine, so it seems like you have just been where I am whenever I am posting on here for advice. So, thank you. And, re: precious child consuming sugary snack - YESSSS! That is exactly what I am thinking!!
Old 10-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

aww.. thanks I feel like I'm a thread killer, so that makes me smile

ETA: also, I am a little more lenient now than I was before. Yesterday, for her afternoon snack, I put a grouping of various things on her little plate and I laughed at the end because the teddy grahams were untouched, but the snap peas had been devoured. It just let me know that it's okay to let her try the less healthy stuff - it doesn't mean that she's going to start rejecting the healthy stuff.

Last edited by EmilytheStrange; 10-23-2012 at 02:25 PM.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
doodah
Registered Users
seller

you have to pick your battles with daycare. If they have reasons why they provide the food, then your options are to provide ALL food for your daughter (if that is even allowed) or to just deal with it and leave it alone or lastly, change daycares to a place where you do agree with their food policies. I will be honest in saying that yes, you will be seen as the complainer of the group if you keep making comments and no, it if HIGHLY unlikely that they will change anything for one part time child.

If your daughter is happy there and you are happy with the service in every other respect, I think you will have to let this go. If you come across as too demanding, they may just let you go because they dont want to deal with the daily comments of how the food is not up to par. While I do agree with you regarding the food choices, that doesnt mean anything for your particular situation. Either you change or they change. You have to weigh the pros versus the cons. Is rocking the boat and possibly having to transition your child to a new daycare worth trying to get better food for her daycare days?
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm not terribly strict on food. I'm not nearly as strict as you. DD gets Kix and Crispix cereal. She has had canned foods, and a McDonalds hamburger to two. However, I try to limit preservatives, sugar and dyes. She's never had an Oreo. Mini M&M are some of the only food dyes she eats (perhaps 5 a week).

I would definitely have a problem with colorful cereal. It's not an appropriate snack food. Why aren't the kids getting fresh fruit instead of canned fruit? Cut up apples are way cheaper than canned pineapple or snack cups. DD's Montessori provides snacks and here's a sample of what DD's eaten: oranges, apples, graham crackers, bananas, and strawberries.

ETA: 2x a week no big deal. However, if DD went to that school full time and got sugary snacks everyday, I'd be changing schools.

Last edited by Shimpie; 10-23-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
GreyMum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
you have to pick your battles with daycare. If they have reasons why they provide the food, then your options are to provide ALL food for your daughter (if that is even allowed) or to just deal with it and leave it alone or lastly, change daycares to a place where you do agree with their food policies. I will be honest in saying that yes, you will be seen as the complainer of the group if you keep making comments and no, it if HIGHLY unlikely that they will change anything for one part time child.

If your daughter is happy there and you are happy with the service in every other respect, I think you will have to let this go. If you come across as too demanding, they may just let you go because they dont want to deal with the daily comments of how the food is not up to par. While I do agree with you regarding the food choices, that doesnt mean anything for your particular situation. Either you change or they change. You have to weigh the pros versus the cons. Is rocking the boat and possibly having to transition your child to a new daycare worth trying to get better food for her daycare days?
Yay, all my favorite people are replying. :-) I think you set me straight once on another daycare matter (it wasn't my original post, but something about daycare kids bringing insane stuff to daycare because the parents didn't want to take it away from them.) It might have been someone else, I don't remember now.

Anyway, I know I sound like a big complainer, but I am also very sweet in the delivery of my requests and very complimentary (genuinely) about other stuff, like how my daughter loves the main teacher in her room! I would not want to change daycares at all!!! I do like this place a lot. Whenever I mention something, they are immediately agreeable. I think they are trained to say -- whatever the parent wants (so long as it is reasonable) that they immeidately agree. They pretty much immediately agree to whatever I ask for. And, they also consistently, among all the classrooms and different teachers with staff changes and what not, report that she had a "great day." It sounds scripted. Oh, she got shoved today by Billy, but aside from that, she had a GREAT day.

Ok, I'm getting off-topic now. Back to the food --------

I have no idea why they offer any food at all. It is my understanding that parents are to provide all food. I have no idea why they buy this other stuff, but I am guessing that they get money from the state, so they spend it.

I am really going to try to relax about it all.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
GreyMum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpie View Post
I'm not terribly strict on food. I'm not nearly as strict as you. DD gets Kix and Crispix cereal. She has had canned foods, and a McDonalds hamburger to two. However, I try to limit preservatives, sugar and dyes. She's never had an Oreo. Mini M&M are some of the only food dyes she eats (perhaps 5 a week).

I would definitely have a problem with colorful cereal. It's not an appropriate snack food. Why aren't the kids getting fresh fruit instead of canned fruit? Cut up apples are way cheaper than canned pineapple or snack cups. DD's Montessori provides snacks and here's a sample of what DD's eaten: oranges, apples, graham crackers, bananas, and strawberries.

ETA: 2x a week no big deal. However, if DD went to that school full time and got sugary snacks everyday, I'd be changing schools.
Good points about the food choices. I am not sure that they really have any rules about the food the teachers are buying for their rooms. As far as I can tell, they must each get allotted money for supplies/food, and it's up to them as to how to spend it. I'm guessing she thinks the kids will think the food is fun. They do lots of crafts (of course) and one day she told me that they were going to make jello. I almost dropped. I was like, oh, are they going to eat it too? I know I sound like a pain, but seriously, I hate jello!!!!

Oh, I am guessing they buy canned fruit because it is easier to serve? They don't really have a kitchen area. Just a kitchen sink and an extremely small counter that has a lot of stuff on it usually. Just a guess.

Last edited by GreyMum; 10-23-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Just wanted to add that you can get peaches packed in juice from the US (grown and packed in the US!). I think they're Del Monte. If you get the ones packed in water they're from China. Packed in juice, US. Makes no sense!! I just rinse the ones packed in juice before giving them to DD.

[we keep them in the house for the odd time when we're out of fresh fruit or have constipation issues and are out of applesauce]

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #10
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I do understand convenience foods. I mean, fresh fruit could go bad.. I routinely have to throw out moldy berries (I do try to freeze before that happens for smoothies, but it happens).

We keep those little fruit packs in the fridge, but I give them to DD maybe 1 every 3 or 4 months. DH, on the other hand, he loves those things