Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
dnh
Registered Users

MANUAL pumping.. help? (long read)

not so quick backround- i live in a place (nicaragua) where there are no other breast pumps to purchase, so that is not an option. I was graciously sent a medela manual pump by another mama from back home but am not doing very well with it. i can get maybe about 1 oz from each side but this is waking up in the middle of the night and i am terrible at being disciplined enough to do this consistently (the inconsistency may be part of my problem). i just dont see ay other time to pump being that i really only produce enough to meet my ds demand. i am dyeing to build up a small freezer stash and also increase my supply because it is always a hassle getting every last drop out of me at each feeding just to fill him up. it take me about an hour at each feeding and i only have about 2 hours break before it is time to feed him again. i am kinda terrified to pump between feedings because i dont think ill have enough for him by the time it is time for him to nurse again. he sleeps through the night though so that is why i was waking up to pump in the first place.

anyway, any advice? if i am more consistent at midnight pumping would the output increase? i really struggle to just get that 1oz out. and am so sore afterward from all the dry pumps and sqeezing

Advertisement

dnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: MANUAL pumping.. help? (long read)

How old is your son? Is it possible that you do not have the appropriate flanges for your breast size and shape. Because milk works on supply and demand, yes you would need to be more consistent. If you pump every night at the same time then your breasts "remember" and produse at that same time.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
dnh
Registered Users

my son is 4 1/2 months old and so far ebf. it is very possible that the flanges i have are not that great of a fit.. mostly because i dont really get or understand what IS a good fit. the pump comes with two sizes and i have tried both on both breasts and i think i get more out with the smaller flange.. but as i am inconsistent i cannot say for sure. what is the measurement that you are supposed to use anyway?
Old 10-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Medela some info on their website about it. I am not a very successful pumper and do better with the manual pump. Your son is still very young so him nursing every 2 hours is not super unusual. How many hours is he sleeping at night? Do you sleep together? That can effect your supply a bit. Some woman are able to pump 8oz from each breast no problem. I am not that lucky. Being hydrated and relaxing while you pump are both very important.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
kanga1622
Registered Users

Honestly, I was the same way. DS ate every two hours until he was like 18 months old (and that included all night long). I work full time and pumped every two hours and usually only got 3-4 ounces combined at each pumping session. He pretty much ate at daycare what I pumped the day before.

DS never had formula and nursed until I weaned him at 27.5 months.

Just because you don't have a huge freezer stash doesn't mean there is a problem. It sounds like your body is making the right amount for your child.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 10-31-2012, 12:17 AM   #6
dnh
Registered Users

thank you all for your input! i must admit, i a still not super consistent but am getting a better hang of it.

thanks again for the encouragement!!