Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
firstlynn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Science, Geography, Social Studies, etc for Pre-K and K

We have just started doing some homeschooling stuff with DS. He's 4.5. I think we're doing quite well with phonics (he could read at least 20 sight words, we are working through the short vowel a books, etc), knows all the sounds for the alphabets. Maths is going ok. Writing...we're working on.
I need help with the other 'etcs'...for instance, I have not found a good science/geography/social studies curriculum for this age group..so we would do random things that interests him (lifecycle of a frog, caterpillar, etc; basic human body parts, mixing colors), talk about the country 'America', states, city, look at maps online.
We normally do the basic 3 Rs for 30mins every evening and try to do some science/geography/social studies/videos for another 15 mins or so.
Any other suggestions/websites resources? I normally google whatever my sons come up with that they happen to express an interest in, but it feels quite jumbled up & I'm not sure if I'm covering the basics. Help!

Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
raisingthem4Him
Registered Users
seller

Re: Science, Geography, Social Studies, etc for Pre-K and K

I do not do any specific curriculum for science, social studies, history, or extras outside of math, reading, phonics, and Bible until about second grade. Your kids are learning all day long and all the "extra" stuff they usually get all they need just by living a happy life at home with you! Exploring nature outside, talking about holidays, looking at maps to see where family live, etc, all count! So I wouldn't stress about it, it is more important for them to really "get" the three R's before you overwhelm them with other "information" because you feel like you "should" be teaching it.
raisingthem4Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I agree. There really are no basics for science and history at that age. We don't do formal science and history until 2nd grade, either. We focus on giving the kids a real strong foundation of math and reading/phonics because once they have that down, they can learn anything. So, keep going with what they are interested in. Check the library and Netflix for videos. YouTube has some cool experiments people have done, as well. Find books, browse for things you can do at home. The library probably has books with activities you can do at home -- for science and for history.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We do a few topic related science/history things but usually based on holidays or something that has sparked an interest. Recently DS found a garden spider outside, so we took pictures of her and her now 2 egg sacs, we did a lapbook together(it was above his level, but he enjoyed doing it together), we are reading Charlotte's Web, he watched the cartoon of Charlotte's Web, and we looked up pictures of different spiders online.

With the election coming up we will again do a lapbook together on the election process, and then at Thanksgiving do a lapbook. We are really following his lead on what he wants to learn about in conjunction with the curriculum we are using. He really LOVES books, so we are adding in books that will have some history/science in them but are fun fiction books.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree with everyone else at the pre-k level especially there isn't much to do for science and social studies. At K usually social studies is more "civics" oriented, think things like days of the week, months of the year, address, neighborhood, community, and personal and home safety. You can definitely improvise these things by picking up fun books at the library and working with a calender program, pocket calender, wipe off calender ect. For science in K nature walks and reading is usually still all you need. I don't introduce formal Science and history until 1st. My kids do their science and history together.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
firstlynn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

okay, thanks everyone for your input
we'll do what the kids are interested in & move along with that.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
firstlynn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

okay, thanks everyone for your input
we'll do what the kids are interested in & move along with that.