Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Is my method reliable? NFP Question

After I had DS I went to the birthing center to meet with one of the midwives for a break down and explanation of NFP. What she told me was kind of ridiculous IMO, basing everything off the feel of my vag discharge. Well, I didn't do so great with that and ended up conceiving a baby (who we lost) shortly after, and DD right after our lose.

So then I switched my method and have been keeping track of my periods on the calendar, then consider us "in the clear" for the first week afterwards, avoid dtd the following week, and we are in the clear for the following week.

Well gradually in the last year my cycle has spread out and turned into a 5 week cycle. Based on certain things I am assuming I am still fertile during the 2nd week after my period, so that gives us 2 weeks of being in the clear before my next period.

We have been doing this since DD and she is 3.5, so it's worked for us so far. But I'm wondering if there is something I'm overlooking, esp now that my cycle is 5 weeks, is there something else I should be doing or looking out for?

We are thinking about TTC #3 but I really want to do it intentionally this time if we do. Since our other 2 have been surprises.

Advertisement

threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
cmbuttaci
Registered Users

Re: Is my method reliable? NFP Question

If you want to do it intentionally, I would start charting your temperature. It's really not that bad and it can tell you pretty definitively when you ovulate. Check out fertilityfriend.com Good luck!
cmbuttaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
Kap7270
Registered Users

Clearly your method has worked for you so far, but I would not call it reliable. That type of calendar method may work for awhile if you are very regular, but every woman will eventually have a short or a long cycle. Long cycles are often due to stress (emotional or physical) and a BBT will help you catch the delayed ovulation. But the only way to catch the early ovulation that occurs with a short cycle is to observe cervical mucus. There is more than one way to observe cervical mucus so if the method that your midwife describes doesn't work for you then you might consider another. I'm particularly familiar with the Creighton Model, and we use a much more objective method for determining fertile mucus.

As far as the four vs five week cycles, there's no way to know exactly where you're ovulating unless you're doing some sort of charting. 13 days is the average length of the post-ovulatory phase, but anywhere from 9-16 days is considered normal (although the lower end may have miscarriage issues).

By the way, I'm not trying to say that there is anything wrong with your self-devised NFP method. As long as you are comfortable with its limitations and like it, then it's a personal choice. I'm just trying to address your concerns about reliability.
Kap7270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
graceworks
Registered Users
Formerly: annaelise
seller
seller

My Mood:

My friend was doing something similar and ended up getting pregnant from unprotected sex the day after her period ended. Everyone can have a wacky cycle! I say start charting! and follow the FAM rules by the book, unless you're ok with an oops.
loving being a stay at home wife to DH (married 4/11/09) and mommy to DD1 (10/4/10) and little DD2 (5/30/12) and expecting baby #3 in March!
graceworks is offline   Reply With Quote