View Poll Results: should a 9 month old EBF child sleep through the night?
yes 18 18.00%
no 82 82.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-11-2007, 08:56 AM   #11
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Re: does/did your 9 month old EBF child....

My DD didn't start sleeping through the night until she was about 14 months old. Some kids do and some kids dont, there is no "should" or "shouldnt" every kid is different.

Advertisement

EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:08 AM   #12
Luvinmy3weeones
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by noramommy View Post
Nine month olds don't sleep through the night, 9 year olds don't sleep through the night, I don't sleep through the night, and you don't sleep through the night. Stop worrying about who is and is not sleeping through the night and enjoy the fact that you don't have to get out of bed to meet your child's needs at night.
LOL! so well said!

I don't think she's trying to say there is anything wrong with getting out of bed to take care of your child, but having to get out of bed feels worse to some people than not having to. (like me for instance! ) And since she is EBFing she doesn't have to and is probably glad for it!
Luvinmy3weeones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:16 AM   #13
Termie
Registered Users
seller

yeah if she's exclusively on breastmilk still... I can't imagine she'd be ok with sleeping for 10hr+ w/o some food! GOODNESS!

It IS possible for a 9m to sttn, but I'd venture a guess they are on some other food source in addition to bm.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:25 AM   #14
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD (9 months, 3 weeks) was (until just recently) sleeping about 8 hours before waking up, then would nurse, and back to sleep for another 3 hours.
This past two weeks have been HELL. She is waking up all night long and crying, then refusing to go back to sleep. I dont think its teething...

A friend of mine said it might be a "sleep regression" that they say is normal around this age. Supposedly, it passes. I SURE HOPE SO!
Old 05-11-2007, 09:27 AM   #15
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ok thanks i just had someone on another board pm me and tell me that she should be sleeping through the night and i got worried im glad its normal...and that it isnt every 30-40 minutes like the pp just thought id check and make sure i wasnt doing something wrong i did have someone suggest having her CIO and ill NEVER do that
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:29 AM   #16
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa-Rachelle View Post
DD (9 months, 3 weeks) was (until just recently) sleeping about 8 hours before waking up, then would nurse, and back to sleep for another 3 hours.
This past two weeks have been HELL. She is waking up all night long and crying, then refusing to go back to sleep. I dont think its teething...

A friend of mine said it might be a "sleep regression" that they say is normal around this age. Supposedly, it passes. I SURE HOPE SO!

dd would sleep 6-8 hours at a time at about 4 months but then she started cutting teeth and now its every 3 hours day and night...not that i mind bc i latch her on and go back to sleep
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:30 AM   #17
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DD is 17months old and still wakes up to nurse 4 times a night! My DS didnt start sleeping through the night (not every night) until 18months old!

Its very normal!!!
Old 05-11-2007, 09:51 AM   #18
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

Totally normal. My son will be one in a few weeks and still wakes up to nurse quite a few times every night. We cosleep too so it doesn't bother me.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:55 AM   #19
mama23boys
Banned
seller

ds is almost 16months and VERY rarely sleeps through the night...at 9months old he was waking up 3-5x a night to nurse. we co-sleep so it makes it SOOOO much easier!
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:55 AM   #20
lunamoth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My EBF child is 3 months and sleeps "through the night." But everything I have read has said that "sleeps through the night" is defined by about 5 or more hours. Not like 10 hours or anything!

Before bed, my DD eats at 7 pm, then again at 9pm-ish, is down by 11 pm, and usually wakes about 6 am or so. So 7 hours of sleep. Wakes very hungry but easily satisfied.

I always make sure she gets 10-15 minutes per boob at each feeding unless she openly rejects it. 15 minutes each side especially before bed..fill 'er up!

I personally think the KEY is that we put her to sleep on her stomach. As soon as we started doing that (because it was similar to how she fell asleep on our shoulders...and we wanted to replicate that peaceful position for her) she started sleeping really well.

IMNSHO, the whole "back to sleep" campaign is a load of hooey...medical science really has no idea what causes SIDS, and the latest research suggests it has to do with a disorder, not what the parent does in any way.

My grandmother insists that sleeping on their back makes them gassier, and shoot, she raised a lot of foster kids in addition to her own...there is something to advice from previous generations. And every time DD was put to sleep on her back, she wouldn't get into a deep restful sleep because she kept startling herself by moving a hand or arm or something.

Boy were we happy when we woke up after our first 6 straight hours, LOL. (Of course we checked for breathing first!)

lunamoth is offline   Reply With Quote