Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2012, 05:19 AM   #41
blane,j,&morgansmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homeschooling Check-In Part 3

Good Morning! Im up but the children arent. This week should be exciting. Lots of new goodies coming our way. I found a crazy deal on a microscope online so that should be arriving any day now, as should our Rainbow Resources order. I revamped our classroom yesterday. Gave J his 'big boy' desk from the closet and made a science area on the little tikes table he was using as a desk. I think I need to be more structured on our schedule. I think more would be accomplished that way. Plus it would help him tell time? I dont know. I saw a 'scheduler' with little clocks you do on the side (poster) I'm thinking about getting that for us. Do any of yall stick to a schedule? In the beginning we started first thing at 8 and that seemed to work better than what we are doing now (starting just when ever he gets around). Hmm, I don't know.

Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 05:28 AM   #42
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Heather - We lost power for about an hour in the storm...we were really lucky. Our electric company brought in trucks from out of state somewhere to help them out and they were as on top of the outages as they could be.

Miranda - With just one kiddo doing school, I don't follow any sort of schedule. We just spend the needed amount of time each day whenever we can fit it in. I think when my kids get older and I am homeschooling more than 1 child, I will need to set aside a set time to do schooling but right now since I am trying to work around naps for 2 other little ones, we just go with the flow and it works well for DS.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:21 AM   #43
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Hey everyone! I don't have a lot of time to catch up, just wanted to say hey and hope everyone's doing well. We are trying to get back into the swing of everything. Taking a full week off really messed with our schedule! We have been working when it's convenient and just getting the basics done.

Actually, I think I'm gonna post a separate thread because I'm wondering if maybe I should have bought a full curriculum with a day to day schedule of lessons because we just do our work and do whatever interests us and learn things as they come up, but thinking maybe I should be presenting them with a lesson every day. Not sure.... any thoughts?
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:16 AM   #44
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Happy Halloween everyone! So far, the girls have constructed and played games with the daycare kids (life skills, right? ). We'll get at least math, science and geography in this afternoon. Then I am off to the chiropractor, pick up my Azure Standard order and do a little trick-or-treating with the kiddos.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:39 AM   #45
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Miranda--I would say we stick to a very loose schedule. We get started after breakfast and morning chores are done, so sometime between 7 and 8. We don't do the subjects in any special order, although a lot of days we do reading first since it is the hardest for my kids and they are the freshest in the morning. The day just progresses from there. We are usually done a little while before books, and generally read books then. But not always. So we kind of have a rough guideline, but keep it pretty flexible. I do think schedules help with telling time--Keegan taught himself how to tell time to the nearest hour and half hour when he was 3 because he knew that lunch was at 11:30, nap was at 1:00, ect.

Heather--I felt the same way about the drawing book. I was thinking, really? I have to draw out grids and warm-ups and half image things? The book should come with that! Then I turned to the good old internet, thinking surely someone has posted this online. Maybe this will help you. http://www.donnayoung.org/art/draw1.htm There is a "Larger Format for Younger Children" if you scroll down a bit, but my kids have been doing fine with the regular version so far. We did the abstract warm up today.

The more I teach reading the more I notice all the exception to the rule words. The english language is terrible. The kids did well with everything today, and they're really excited about getting to be the Ingalls family tonight for halloween. Tomorrow we'll be in Springfield all day so we'll have to figure out a time to make up a few hours. Oh yeah--DH fixed his car last night so we're excited to have the van back!!
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:52 PM   #46
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

So far, so good ... No sickies today. DD2 went to her story time at the library and the baby was really good and entertained herself in her playpen while I did school with the oldest three. Even the 2 year old cooperated pretty well. DS2 is really coming along with his reading and is excited about it. He may even pass up DS1 and DD1 which could cause some problems. Over all a really good school day for us!
Old 10-31-2012, 12:55 PM   #47
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Not sure if we'll do school at all today or not. I've just been in a funky mood all week, and we've been out of the house all day so far, plus we have church tonight. So, maybe I'll read this afternoon and let the kids play instead of worrying about school.

I hope everyone with sick families have no more ickies in their homes.

Miranda -- we do a routine, but not a schedule. However, I think it really depends on the kid. I hate schedules and none of my kids seem to need them, but two of them most definitely need routine. We do, though, typically get started with schoolwork no later than 9:30 and have finally gotten to the point where we don't really do any breaks (only took us about 7 years to get to that! lol).
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #48
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

Got some school done today, but got sidetracked after lunch and never finished. DH's new day off is Thursday so we may have to make that our day off too and rearrange our schedule a little. Hope all is well with everyone else.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #49
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We finished up the Magic Treehouse Halloween Lapbook today and had a discussion in the car that made its way from Military Order of the Purple Heart(we dropped off some donation bags and I said we would be donating other stuff as well to different places) to soldiers to war to Iraq to September 11th to Afghanistan to Mickey Mouse(and his disappearing house)....I just kept answering his questions as he asked them. I also finally got the Tree of Thankfulness on the wall so we will do 2 leaves tomorrow to catch up. We will start back in with regular curriculum tomorrow and continue on with the Election Lapbook.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #50
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well we're not logging many hours here this week. Monday I didn't have a voice, Thursday we spent the whole day in Springfield, today is going horribly (hence me being on the computer at 9 am), tomorrow is quarterly meeting (our church's associational service) and then we'll have to go back to Springfield because we just found out a member of our church went to the emergency room last night and is in ICU. Blech.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote