View Poll Results: Would you buy allergy friendly treats from a small business online?
Yes 9 36.00%
No 16 64.00%
Other (b/c there is always an "other") 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Would you buy allergy friendly treats from a small business online?

Just checking for potential interest - We have several allergies here & I have been approached in person by a few parents about me cooking treats/snacks/breads for them. Also had 2 online friends ask as well about me selling them in HC or similar site. I'm def considering it, but I want to check to see if it would be worth my time/effort first.

If it helps, the allergies amongst our family members are gluten, dairy, corn, soy, white potatoes, shellfish, bananas & eggs.

TIA Any FB is welcome - pos or neg

Advertisement

Last edited by CMamma; 10-24-2012 at 02:36 PM.
CMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Would you buy allergy friendly treats from a small business online?

It would depend on the price including shipping. Shipping plus the amount of time you need to make them is going to make the treats expensive, and most things we can make at home.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
It would depend on the price including shipping. Shipping plus the amount of time you need to make them is going to make the treats expensive, and most things we can make at home.
I generally buy in bulk & do all the baking/cooking here. Despite the ingredients being more expensive than things generally found available like wheat, etc, I would still be able to make them for less than what companies are selling gluten dairy & other "free" items for, even with shipping I could beat the prices of most (though I'm sure not all) online retailers.

Would that make any difference? TIA
Old 10-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
Hopper Graphics
Registered Users
Formerly:PurlyQ
seller
seller

My Mood:

I answered no, because I make all our treats personally (egg, dairy, nut free). However, I might buy special fancy chocolates or truffles or something if they were available depending on the price.
Hopper Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Specialty items, for occasional treats, yes. Cookies for regular consumption, no.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

I really want to say yes but, no ... Because ...

-- There are tons of great choices in my local supermarket and dropping the price a smidge wouldn't make it worthwhile to have to order online.

-- I don't feel really really really secure that a home-based kitchen is truly as allergy-free as I need it to be. I'd want to see that you have a commissary kitchen and certifications (certified gluten free, Labeled kosher "parve" so I know there's no trace of milk ...)

-- Allergy free treats aren't that big a "problem" for us, to have to order online. We mostly need to find allergy free stuff that isn't a treat. For treats it's easy to do Mike & Ikes, coconut ice cream, fruit sorbet, plain popcorn ...

-- Since our allergy-free "treat" purchases are rare, I like to try something totally different each time.

I think you'd do better just trying to sell locally! There are great classes at a lot of community colleges for getting your food product "to market", without spending a ton of money. Since you have a great product (it's especially to see it free of gluten, eggs, milk, AND soy), and so many households are gluten free or otherwise allergenic these days, I bet you have plenty of people who need it locally! (I hear it's 1 in 4 families have to work with food sensitivities now!) Maybe a local naturopath's office wants to put some on the shelf!

Last edited by TrennaII; 11-19-2012 at 08:58 PM.
TrennaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

I voted no. My daughter had outgrown her allergies, but I was so incredibly nervous when she was reacting that I wouldn't allow anyone else to cook for her.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #8
Nachomama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would consider items that I can't/won't make myself like dairy free caramels or shaped chocolates. We have a LOT of sensitivies, though, so it is very hard to find products that work. I generally make what we want, but it would be nice to be able to buy some fancy things as a treat.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #9
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would probably only consider items that have a long shelf life b/c of vacuum-sealing and so forth (little allergy free treats for on the go). And I'm guessing you have more of a general bakery mindset?
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:01 AM   #10
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

I might. I do a lot of baking at home but it's nice to not have to do it once in a while. Especially if it's something different that I don't normally make. But I'm not super picky about cross contamination. We have intolerances, not allergies, so a little cross contamination doesn't seem to bother any of us.