Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
sdsalyer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Fluency Help

I HSed my son last year for K. He is in a charter school this year for 1st grade. He goes 4 days a week and does HS on Fridays. My question is does anyone have any good techniques on how to build fluency with reading. We used Sing, Spell, Read and Write last year to teach LA, and I have no idea what his teacher this year is using.

Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Fluency Help

WhichSing, Spell, Read, and Write did you use? I ask because that is what I use for my kids and they have not had a fluency issue. We use level one in addition to reading a lot and making sure they really know the rules. It is mostly just reading a lot, though, that gives them the fluency.

Keep in mind that the average age for learning to read is 8, so keep working on it, but don't stress.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
sdsalyer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How do I know which level he was using? As far as I know it was level 1. I think if I continued teaching him full time he would be much more fluent. I think the charter school has made him regress some.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

A good way to build fluency is to find a book at his level (one of the easy readers...does his teacher send home copies of any decodable readers or anything like that?). You read it to him, then read it together, then have him read it. Then he should read it again. And again. He should read the same book 3 or 4 times. It is very repetitive, but it helps build fluency.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
sdsalyer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rverrone11
A good way to build fluency is to find a book at his level (one of the easy readers...does his teacher send home copies of any decodable readers or anything like that?). You read it to him, then read it together, then have him read it. Then he should read it again. And again. He should read the same book 3 or 4 times. It is very repetitive, but it helps build fluency.
He does get readers sent home every week. I like your idea of reading it first to him, them together and then by himself. I'm gonna give that a try and see how it works. Thanks for that advice!
Old 10-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #6
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsalyer View Post
He does get readers sent home every week. I like your idea of reading it first to him, them together and then by himself. I'm gonna give that a try and see how it works. Thanks for that advice!
You're welcome. It may seem like overkill at first, and he'll probably wonder why he had to read the same thing over and over again. Sometimes the middle step doesn't work very well because it's pretty hard to read together. If that step is skipped, it's not the end of the world.

It's also a good idea to find an easy book (a real book, not just one of the little ones from school) that he can become really fluent in...like Go, Dog, Go (or something similar if he's at a different level). Again, reading it over and over again will help him gain that fluency. Good luck!

Last edited by rverrone11; 10-25-2012 at 11:29 PM.
rverrone11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #7
sdsalyer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I think he will like me reading first and he may enjoy reading more after I read it. I guess in my mind he needed to be reading something new all the time to be fluent, but of course it makes more sense to give him a chance to be really fluent at a certain book and that in turn will boost his confidence.

Last edited by sdsalyer; 10-24-2012 at 11:02 PM.
sdsalyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:34 AM   #8
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
When you read the a child first, they get an idea of what the story is supposed the sound like, the right pace, tone.......
Old 10-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
sdsalyer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rverrone11

Your welcome. It may seem like overkill at first, and he'll probably wonder why he had to read the same thing over and over again. Sometimes the middle step doesn't work very well because it's pretty hard to read together. If that step is skipped, it's not the end of the world.

It's also a good idea to find an easy book (a real book, not just one of the little ones from school) that he can become really fluent in...like Go, Dog, Go (or something similar if he's at a different level). Again, reading it over and over again will help him gain that fluency. Good luck!
Tried it today and he improved a lot just by reading it to him first. Thank you so much for the great idea!
Old 10-25-2012, 11:32 PM   #10
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsalyer View Post
Tried it today and he improved a lot just by reading it to him first. Thank you so much for the great idea!
Yay! I hope it continues to work for you.

Last edited by rverrone11; 10-25-2012 at 11:34 PM.
rverrone11 is offline   Reply With Quote