Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2012, 10:36 PM   #11
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Re: Pots & pans

I have a nice stainless KitchenAid Set of pots w lids that we recieved as a gift and use the heck out of and I love. We have a 3 pack of inexpensive nonstick pans that I replace every few years (whenever they start to peel).

Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 10:47 PM   #12
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:

I have many of the pieces in this set, got a few years ago, so it is not exact set. cuisinart multi clad

I know I ill be passing them down they are super durable and long lasting, mine still look new after 4-5 years of use! They are similar in quality, but even better than pricey all clad.

Other than that I have iron skillets and le creusette pots along with some enameled cast iron pieces I pick up thrifting. Some of the enameled cast iron pieces will last several lifetimes, lol. Look into enameled cast iron if you haven't already. :-)

I also love stoneware pieces like pampered chef for baking items in the oven. Get those thrifting all the time.

Good luck!

Last edited by Resellmybelle; 10-31-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Resellmybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:00 AM   #13
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshPants View Post
i'd worry about the iron being worn out if it was used, no? I had a lodge fry pan that fell apart.
Now I'm curious! How did it fall apart?

Personally I'm not concerned about them being worn out. My aunt's an antique dealer so I grew up using really old things for everything There are a lot of 100yr old lodge pieces floating around that are beautiful and totally useable!

The cast iron we have are varying ages but we've been using them well over a year (maybe 2?) and love them bunches! There was a learning curve, but it was so worth it!
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:02 AM   #14
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf View Post
I've been collecting Lodge cast iron to slowly replace my non-stick. I love that it's not bad for you like non-stick. An added bonus is that it actually can help raise blood iron levels. I might go stainless for the pots, haven't decided yet. I'm planning to keep one large skillet, one large dutch oven (with a lid that doubles as a smaller skillet) and one large griddle ffor now. I should be able to do my minimal cooking on those 4 pieces.

Weirdest thing, I just got a few pieces for my birthday a few months ago and one of the first times I went to use my new skillet, I was preheating it and it shattered in half. They replaced it no questions asked, but it was the strangest experience. I'm sure that doesn't happen often, so no worries.
That is crazy! I did that with a pizza stone once, so we have a cast iron pizza pan now, lol. I wonder what caused it to shatter like that?
Old 11-01-2012, 07:23 PM   #15
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgkcb13 View Post
That is crazy! I did that with a pizza stone once, so we have a cast iron pizza pan now, lol. I wonder what caused it to shatter like that?
I don't know. I read literally hundreds of reviews online about cast iron and Lodge in particular and didn't read one that mentioned that. Must have been a fluke. Cast iron is supposed to last forever My mom has the first set they got when they were married, going on 35+ years ago. There's really no way to 'wear out' cast iron (unless, of course, it shatters in half ). I've never heard of a cast iron pizza pan. I've been contemplating replacing EVERYTHING in my kitchen with cast iron, like bread pans, muffins tins, corn bread pans, but I realistically know that that's completely superfluous.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:44 AM   #16
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf View Post
I don't know. I read literally hundreds of reviews online about cast iron and Lodge in particular and didn't read one that mentioned that. Must have been a fluke. Cast iron is supposed to last forever My mom has the first set they got when they were married, going on 35+ years ago. There's really no way to 'wear out' cast iron (unless, of course, it shatters in half ). I've never heard of a cast iron pizza pan. I've been contemplating replacing EVERYTHING in my kitchen with cast iron, like bread pans, muffins tins, corn bread pans, but I realistically know that that's completely superfluous.
Oh but the pizza pan is AMAZING lol. Seriously, we'll never go back!
Old 12-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #17
loganzmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I am still looking. Lol I think I am nervous about buying new ones because I am worried I will mess them up or they will be crap that's my luck. Lol
Old 12-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #18
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgkcb13
We have cast iron skillets and stainless steel pots. Oh, and a cast iron dutch oven. We <3 them. They all came from the thrift store or rummage sales, so super cheap, but they will last forever!
This is us too.
We have Stainless Steel pots from Ikea and Lodge Cast Iron. Our dutch oven is ceramic coated- Food Nework Brand.
We bought everything on sale and I love them all!

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #19
indigo152
Registered Users
seller

Jumping in for suggestions here, too!
I am guessing that you can't use cast iron on a glass top stove, right?? What would you recommend for a frying pan and also a pan that can go from stovetop to oven?
Old 12-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #20
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo152
Jumping in for suggestions here, too!
I am guessing that you can't use cast iron on a glass top stove, right?? What would you recommend for a frying pan and also a pan that can go from stovetop to oven?
We do... Why not? It's definitely better/easier on a gas stove, but that hasn't stopped us. Counting the days until I get a new gas range....
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote