Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
MrzP427's Avatar
MrzP427
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Posts: 1,054
Any Homeschoolers in Lebanon PA?

DH and I are considering moving back to Lebanon this upcoming summer. With all the Social issues my son has had in PS I want to switch him to homeschool. Right now he is in an amazing PS where bullying is not tolerated AT ALL, but I do feel my son is falling behind. As of right now I tend to be involved as much as I can at the school. Homeschooling just cannot be done right now with our hectic schedules but come July I will be a SAHM again and I can do it for Next Year. So any other home schooling families in Lebanon,PA? What kind of things do I need to know about HS'ing? Curriculums, Activities? Please enlighten me. TIA

Advertisement

__________________
Christina- Single Momma to My Cuddle Bugs C9, K7, J6 (who is adopted by an awesome couple) and Our Littlest Love Livy 2y

Join Me on Swagbucks its how I have made $1,148 and rising for My family.
MrzP427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
R055ANA
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 868
Re: Any Homeschoolers in Lebanon PA?

Hello there MrzP427!

Welcome to the homeschooling forum!

We are a homeschooling family in Philadelphia. My DDs are 11, 10, 7 and 4 yrs old. They have never attended a brick and mortar school so we have been doing this for a few yrs now.

Even though we aren't in the same area the laws are still the same and curriculums are pretty much the same whether you purchase them in Philadelphia or Ohio.

An awesome website for info on homeschooling in PA is www.askpauline.com She lists homeschooling groups, explains the laws and has great forms on her website. Pauline is incredible to have devoted so much time to creating and updating this website to help all homeschoolers of PA for free.

My suggestion is to read up on homeschooling here and other places on-line. Try to speak w/ real life homeschoolers whether it is where you are currently living or in Lebanon.

There are SO many different ways to do this. You could purchase a boxed curriculum, you could go w/ a free cyber school, you could make your own curriculum. It depends on your family and what you think is best. Do you want secular or religious? Do you want to work on the computer w/ your DS? How much money do you have to spend on a curriculum, should you buy new or used?

We haven't used a curriculum as of yet. In the beginning a fellow homeschooler gave us all of her son's used workbooks and teacher's manuals. Since they were all written on I used some of the lessons for ideas on how to make my own worksheets. At this point we are really just doing our own thing. My girls do different activities depending what is going on that day and what they feel like doing. They may read or listen to audio books, write letters to penpals, draw or do activities on the computer (i.e. First in Math, Spelling City).

In the beginning it seems overwhelming to have SO many options available and to have to choose. Just take your time researching and considering what will work best for your family.

Best wishes and feel free to ask more questions.
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
MrzP427's Avatar
MrzP427
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Posts: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by R055ANA
Hello there MrzP427!

Welcome to the homeschooling forum!

We are a homeschooling family in Philadelphia. My DDs are 11, 10, 7 and 4 yrs old. They have never attended a brick and mortar school so we have been doing this for a few yrs now.

Even though we aren't in the same area the laws are still the same and curriculums are pretty much the same whether you purchase them in Philadelphia or Ohio.

An awesome website for info on homeschooling in PA is www.askpauline.com She lists homeschooling groups, explains the laws and has great forms on her website. Pauline is incredible to have devoted so much time to creating and updating this website to help all homeschoolers of PA for free.

My suggestion is to read up on homeschooling here and other places on-line. Try to speak w/ real life homeschoolers whether it is where you are currently living or in Lebanon.

There are SO many different ways to do this. You could purchase a boxed curriculum, you could go w/ a free cyber school, you could make your own curriculum. It depends on your family and what you think is best. Do you want secular or religious? Do you want to work on the computer w/ your DS? How much money do you have to spend on a curriculum, should you buy new or used?

We haven't used a curriculum as of yet. In the beginning a fellow homeschooler gave us all of her son's used workbooks and teacher's manuals. Since they were all written on I used some of the lessons for ideas on how to make my own worksheets. At this point we are really just doing our own thing. My girls do different activities depending what is going on that day and what they feel like doing. They may read or listen to audio books, write letters to penpals, draw or do activities on the computer (i.e. First in Math, Spelling City).

In the beginning it seems overwhelming to have SO many options available and to have to choose. Just take your time researching and considering what will work best for your family.

Best wishes and feel free to ask more questions.
Thank you so much. I will definitely do my research and ask as many questions I can.
__________________
Christina- Single Momma to My Cuddle Bugs C9, K7, J6 (who is adopted by an awesome couple) and Our Littlest Love Livy 2y

Join Me on Swagbucks its how I have made $1,148 and rising for My family.
MrzP427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:00 AM   #4
Kristi26's Avatar
Kristi26
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,356
My Mood:
Re: Any Homeschoolers in Lebanon PA?

We are in Lebanon County!! I've got 4 kids, 12, 9, 6, and 3 (grades 7,4,1 right now). We are part of a co-op in the Manheim/Mount Joy area but there's also one in Myerstown which would be a lot closer to Lebanon. I have friends that rave about that one.

As far as things you should know for homeschooling here, you just need to notify the school district of your intent to homeschool by July 30 and then give them a portfolio at the end of the year by June 30.

__________________
-Kristi,wife(5/02), , HSing, CDing,SAHM to Andrew(1/00), Lukas(2/03),Lily (1/06),and Ian (5/09) !Sweet Gwen, stillborn, 12/26/11, angel baby 7/08 Free History plans and more here: http://themommywriter.blogspot.com/
Kristi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
MrzP427's Avatar
MrzP427
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Posts: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi26
We are in Lebanon County!! I've got 4 kids, 12, 9, 6, and 3 (grades 7,4,1 right now). We are part of a co-op in the Manheim/Mount Joy area but there's also one in Myerstown which would be a lot closer to Lebanon. I have friends that rave about that one.

As far as things you should know for homeschooling here, you just need to notify the school district of your intent to homeschool by July 30 and then give them a portfolio at the end of the year by June 30.

Omg thanks so much. What exactly needs to be done to get started? Do they supply curriculum or do you just inform them and go on your merry way? Im sorry im just so new to this.
__________________
Christina- Single Momma to My Cuddle Bugs C9, K7, J6 (who is adopted by an awesome couple) and Our Littlest Love Livy 2y

Join Me on Swagbucks its how I have made $1,148 and rising for My family.
MrzP427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #6
Kristi26's Avatar
Kristi26
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,356
My Mood:
Re: Any Homeschoolers in Lebanon PA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrzP427 View Post
Omg thanks so much. What exactly needs to be done to get started? Do they supply curriculum or do you just inform them and go on your merry way? Im sorry im just so new to this.
I went to this site for an intent to homeschool form: www.askpauline.com

I also printed out the medical forms and dental forms. I had the correct offices fill those out (or really they signed them). I also had to give vaccination records. And I printed out the copy of what my kids would learn that was on that site too. You don't need to give them a lot of detail, honestly. I took all of that into the district office myself and had them sign my copy of the paperwork saying they received it. They then sent me a letter "approving" my plan which I put in my portfolio. I don't know that I needed to do that, but I figured better safe than sorry. This way, there's written proof that they knew ahead of time what I was doing.

HTH!

ETA: What grade is your DS this year?
__________________
-Kristi,wife(5/02), , HSing, CDing,SAHM to Andrew(1/00), Lukas(2/03),Lily (1/06),and Ian (5/09) !Sweet Gwen, stillborn, 12/26/11, angel baby 7/08 Free History plans and more here: http://themommywriter.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Kristi26; 11-01-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Kristi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
MrzP427's Avatar
MrzP427
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Posts: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi26

I went to this site for an intent to homeschool form: www.askpauline.com

I also printed out the medical forms and dental forms. I had the correct offices fill those out (or really they signed them). I also had to give vaccination records. And I printed out the copy of what my kids would learn that was on that site too. You don't need to give them a lot of detail, honestly. I took all of that into the district office myself and had them sign my copy of the paperwork saying they received it. They then sent me a letter "approving" my plan which I put in my portfolio. I don't know that I needed to do that, but I figured better safe than sorry. This way, there's written proof that they knew ahead of time what I was doing.

HTH!

ETA: What grade is your DS this year?
Oh ok. Hes in First grade for the second time this year. The public school he was in last year was horrible. Hes at a better PS now but I still feel HS'ing would help him so much more.
__________________
Christina- Single Momma to My Cuddle Bugs C9, K7, J6 (who is adopted by an awesome couple) and Our Littlest Love Livy 2y

Join Me on Swagbucks its how I have made $1,148 and rising for My family.
MrzP427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
Kristi26's Avatar
Kristi26
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,356
My Mood:
Re: Any Homeschoolers in Lebanon PA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrzP427 View Post
Oh ok. Hes in First grade for the second time this year. The public school he was in last year was horrible. Hes at a better PS now but I still feel HS'ing would help him so much more.
My DD is in first grade this year as well.
__________________
-Kristi,wife(5/02), , HSing, CDing,SAHM to Andrew(1/00), Lukas(2/03),Lily (1/06),and Ian (5/09) !Sweet Gwen, stillborn, 12/26/11, angel baby 7/08 Free History plans and more here: http://themommywriter.blogspot.com/
Kristi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.