Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
MaryInPinedale
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Picky Eater- am I being too hard on her?

My 6 yo DD is driving me crazy. She is a picky eater. Mostly it has to do with food that is mixed together and sauces. For example, soups, casseroles, crock pot dinner, spaghetti and cooked veggies. For her I go out of the way to fix her her special dinner- like on spaghetti night I make a hamburger pattie on the side and she has to eat that with plain noodles and fresh veggies. Tonight we had beef stroganoff so I left some cooked beef out of the sauce for her, then I expected her to eat some egg noodles and veggies. So basically she eats what we eat but I fix it slightly different for her.

Tonight for whatever reason she decided that her dinner was gross and she wasn't going to eat. I am at my wits end with fixing her a special plate and then not eating it. I put my foot down and she wasn't given anything else to eat tonight and was put to bed without any dinner. Is that too mean? I know she is growing, but I figured if she was hungry enough she would eat, especially when I fix it in a way I know she would eat it. I can't possibly make dinner any plainer. Do you make your kids eat what is for dinner? Do you send them to bed hungry when they don't eat? Or do you give in and let them have a snack before bed when they haven't eaten?

Advertisement

MaryInPinedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
megenic
Registered Users
seller

My kids eat what we eat, and have from very early on. With all meals I offer cut up veggies and cheese cubes. Now that said I do try to prepare meals I know the kids like, but sometimes there is a meal they're not fond of. I don't prepare it differently for them, and on those nights they usually just pick at it and eat some raw veggies. Oh well! They won't starve. I don't believe in making kids eat food they don't like. They do have to eat one bite of something before they can leave the table. But if they don't want to eat what I've prepare they are free to ask to be excused. Before bed, they always have a cut up apple for a snack, so I know their tummies aren't empty. I seriously don't have the patience for picky eating. I do understand people have different tastes and don't like all things, so that's why I don't make any big deal about meals. However, until you're old enough to cook for yourself, you eat what I make or wait until the next eating time :-)

Last edited by megenic; 10-22-2012 at 08:07 PM.
megenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
hollydawn
Registered Users
seller

Re: Picky Eater- am I being too hard on her?

I feel your pain. My six year old dd s so picky. I am at my wits end. I dread dinner time.

She literally eats about five things plus fruit , cheese, and yogurt. I Usually serve her something she likes alongside of what we eat. Just recently I have added the stipulation that she must take a least one bite of what we are eating. If she doesn't she does not get a bedtime snack.

She rarely tries the food and just goes without the snack. It is our biggest battle and I'm surprised I haven't gone off the deep end because of it.
hollydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not a short order cook, my kids eat what we eat or they don't eat. You'd be surprised some of the things my kids LOVE just because they tried it because they were hungry.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

must be a 6 year old thing. i usually wont make anything else. my dd has issues with 'mixed' foods also and wont touch noodles sometimes i will make her a cheese quesadilla. either way she has to eat 3 bites of everything. and she can always get yogurt, fruit, veggies or cheese from the fridge. but she still has to eat 3 bites.
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
We dont force our kids to eat anything. We will make them something simple if they want. I couldnt send my kids to bed with no food. But to each his own.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #7
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by *KaiMom*
I'm not a short order cook, my kids eat what we eat or they don't eat. You'd be surprised some of the things my kids LOVE just because they tried it because they were hungry.
This is how I feel.

I have a 2yo and I'm sorta scared to let her skip dinner, but the couple times that she has refused to eat dinner, I have not made her anything else and she has survived. Well, once I did cause it was really salty to us and that's not her fault.

Last night, she ate like two bites and then later said she was in need of a snack - she was given her dinner again and she ate it. Maybe she wasn't hungry at dinnertime - I can't really know. But I know I can't offer her snack food or she's likely to start trying that every night.

I think you're doing well in separating the things for her. If she really doesn't like sauces, then okay. But she can eat it how you're offering it to her.

She will not allow herself to starve.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by *KaiMom*
Same here. When I get my kids to try a bite, they usually end up liking it. A book that I read to my girls is Bread and Jam for Francis. It talks about a little girl (hedgehog) who won't try new food. It's really cute and has been helpful when my girls don't want to try what I've cooked.

Eta - Amazon link for the book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

Last edited by Celeste; 10-22-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #9
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KaiMom* View Post
I'm not either. I make one meal. If they don't want to eat it, that's a-okay with me. Going to bed without supper won't do any harm and will probably help you out with your long term goal of better eating.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #10
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids have to eat at least some of their dinner before they get anything else the rest of the night. The couple of times my oldest didn't eat I made sure I made a bigger breakfast in the morning. He will usually eat his dinner, eventually. I also make him sit with us during dinner but he is allowed to get up when we are done. But, his food will either be left on the table or in the fridge. He's never gotten sick or had any problems from dinner that sat out for an hour.